Khris Davis?

Andy the Clown

Davis would generally fit what we're trying to do, but I wonder how advisable it is to continue adding right handed hitters.

We have:

Abreu

A. Garcia

Viciedo

Semien

as young guys that we think will definitely be long-term pieces, plus

Alexei

Beckham

Keppinger

Flowers/Phegley

and then our lefties

Dunn

De Aza

Gillaspie

Jordan Danks

L. Garcia

as LHH that have a chance to be on the roster next year. Dunn will be gone in a season at the latest and it seems we're trying to force de Aza out. That leaves us w/ Gillaspie, who might be a serviceable starter but not at the expense of Semien. Danks is fighting for backup time it seems and doesn't look like he is really much of an asset even in a platoon at the plate. Leury...I don't know that which hand he's hitting with really matters. Even if he hits well enough to have around, his value is never going to be his bat.

I'm happy for us to pursue the best young guys we can get, but we're looking at having no decent left-handed bats on our roster in the very near future. Micah Johnson is our best lefty in the minors, but he will probably need at least another year of seasoning, if not two. In that case, you're looking at Semien and Johnson potentially competing for a spot. Other than that, the only LHH in the high minors with a remote chance of playing in the bigs are Andy Wilkins (first base/DH), Carlos Sanchez (switch-hitter), Jared Mitchell, Dan Black (first base/DH), Keenyn Walker (switch-hitter). All of these guys either had bad years last year or are playing first base and have low ceiling bats.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 08:12 PM)
Did Lillian hack your account?

All kidding aside, I totally agree.

Reading this thread put a big smile on my face. Thanks Jake. It's nice to hear someone else make the argument.

I'd wager that the next big acquisition will be that middle of the order left handed bat, not Khris Davis.

Hahn seems to know what he's doing and has a good plan.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
Davis would generally fit what we're trying to do, but I wonder how advisable it is to continue adding right handed hitters.

We have:

Abreu

A. Garcia

Viciedo

Semien

as young guys that we think will definitely be long-term pieces, plus

Alexei

Beckham

Keppinger

Flowers/Phegley

and then our lefties

Dunn

De Aza

Gillaspie

Jordan Danks

L. Garcia

as LHH that have a chance to be on the roster next year. Dunn will be gone in a season at the latest and it seems we're trying to force de Aza out. That leaves us w/ Gillaspie, who might be a serviceable starter but not at the expense of Semien. Danks is fighting for backup time it seems and doesn't look like he is really much of an asset even in a platoon at the plate. Leury...I don't know that which hand he's hitting with really matters. Even if he hits well enough to have around, his value is never going to be his bat.

I'm happy for us to pursue the best young guys we can get, but we're looking at having no decent left-handed bats on our roster in the very near future. Micah Johnson is our best lefty in the minors, but he will probably need at least another year of seasoning, if not two. In that case, you're looking at Semien and Johnson potentially competing for a spot. Other than that, the only LHH in the high minors with a remote chance of playing in the bigs are Andy Wilkins (first base/DH), Carlos Sanchez (switch-hitter), Jared Mitchell, Dan Black (first base/DH), Keenyn Walker (switch-hitter). All of these guys either had bad years last year or are playing first base and have low ceiling bats.

And all those guys who hit LH/SH on the market are going to be too expensive:

Granderson

Morales

Cano

Ellsbury

Choo

McCann

Salty

Everyone's chasing after the same thing. For some reason, I have a feeling Justin Morneau will be the DH in 2015, lol.

And you can't see them signing AJ for just one year, that doesn't make much if any sense (except to Greg).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
I'm presuming they would move Tank to 1B, or...wait for it...

3B

I posted it last week, but in 160 professional games at 3B, Viciedo's fielding percentage is about .905. That means, given about 350 chances and even allowing a .015 error margin, Viciedo would likely make about 28 errors at 3B - at the minimum. He might make as many as 40. I am not an error and fielding percentage guy for the most part, but Viciedo can't get to balls and can't field the ones he gets to. At some point, you have to be able to field the ball cleanly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
I posted it last week, but in 160 professional games at 3B, Viciedo's fielding percentage is about .905. That means, given about 350 chances and even allowing a .015 error margin, Viciedo would likely make about 28 errors at 3B - at the minimum. He might make as many as 40. I am not an error and fielding percentage guy for the most part, but Viciedo can't get to balls and can't field the ones he gets to. At some point, you have to be able to field the ball cleanly.

To be 100% fair...it's 162 innings, not games there, and most of those innings there were in 2011 when the Sox had already moved him to 1b in the minors then he was called up and put back at 3b after spending most of the year playing 1b, so literally with no practice or preparation before playing there.

That said, people should indeed stop trying to put him at a different defensive position. He's got a good enough arm that even if he doesn't get to a ton of balls he can be a tolerable corner OF if he's on a team that doesn't deserve to have the Benny Hill theme played every time there's a ball hit to a fielder.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
To be 100% fair...it's 162 innings, not games there, and most of those innings there were in 2011 when the Sox had already moved him to 1b in the minors then he was called up and put back at 3b after spending most of the year playing 1b, so literally with no practice or preparation before playing there.

That said, people should indeed stop trying to put him at a different defensive position. He's got a good enough arm that even if he doesn't get to a ton of balls he can be a tolerable corner OF if he's on a team that doesn't deserve to have the Benny Hill theme played every time there's a ball hit to a fielder.

My numbers included his time in AA. Professional, not MLB. He's at like .895 in the majors

Edited by witesoxfan