Sox minor leaguer Blount suspended 50 games

southsider2k5

The minors are very different. Minor league players are tested randomly for all drugs and I believe all drugs carry the same penalties. The MLBPA would have never allowed that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_...#Drugs_of_abuse

Testing for drugs of abuse is not administered randomly, but on a basis of reasonable cause. If one of the HPAC panel members has evidence that a player has used, possessed, or sold banned substances in the last 12 months, they call a conference and discuss the evidence with the other members. If a majority vote to test the suspected player is reached then testing will take place no more than 48 hours later.

Failure to comply with treatment program[edit]First failure to comply: 15 to 25 day suspension and/or a fine of up to $10,000

Second failure to comply: 25 to 50 day suspension and/or a fine of up to $25,000

Third failure to comply: 50 to 75 day suspension and/or a fine of up to $50,000

Fourth failure to comply: minimum one year suspension and/or a fine of up to $100,000

Any subsequent failure(s) to comply: The level of the discipline will be determined by the Office of the Commissioner, consistent with the concept of progressive discipline.

All suspensions are without pay.

Conviction for use of prohibited substances[edit]First offense: 15 to 30 day suspension and/or a fine of up to $10,000

Second offense: 30 to 90 day suspension and/or a fine of up to $50,000

Third offense: minimum one year suspension and/or a fine of up to $100,000

Fourth offense: minimum two year suspension

Any subsequent offense(s): The level of the discipline will be determined by the Office of the Commissioner, consistent with the concept of progressive discipline.

I also seem to recall that these test results are generally announced privately. Players can also serve suspensions while on the DL, so while I have no proof, it would not surprise me if, as determined by the owner, commissioner, general manager, and manager, a player would require a suspension and suddenly hit the DL with a "bad back" while showing no side effects from it otherwise because they want to keep that aspect under wraps as best as they can.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
Wonder if his 50 game suspension starts in June when the Rookei League season starts, or in April when the other leagues start?

It starts when the season begins for the team he is on the roster for. My guess is that they put him on Kanny's roster, inactive, because they start sooner than the rookie clubs. Then after he's done with suspension, he can pitch once for Kanny, and they can send him down to Rookie ball if they want to. This gets the suspension out of the way faster. They may have wanted him at Kanny anyway.