White Sox pitching #1 in fWar from 2005 to 2013

southsider2k5

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
You really take the stats thing personally, eh? :lol:

Yeah, sorry, lol. I guess I kinda do. I mean, it really isn't about the stats, it's about the mindset. My brain can turn it into a massive philosophical and socio-political argument in like 15 seconds if I'm not careful. Sometimes i just gotta CHECK MAHSELF before I WRECK MAHSELF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
Again, the ballpark effect is hitting you there. If the Sox were average on both pitching and hitting, they should be in the top 3-4 teams in the league in offense and bottom 3-4 teams in the league in pitching because they play 81 games in a ballpark that is a home run hitters haven. If the Sox are putting up slightly above average pitching numbers in the Cell...that's really good. If the Sox are putting up average hitting numbers in the Cell, that's pretty bad. If the Sox are the worst offense in the league playing in the Cell, that's historically bad.

Except that's only 1/2 the games...AND...you have the brutal weather in April and May.

Plus you have to correct for how much the White Sox spent on their starting pitching/rotation compared to other teams.

There are a LOT of other factors involved.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 05:55 PM)
Except that's only 1/2 the games...AND...you have the brutal weather in April and May.

Plus you have to correct for how much the White Sox spent on their starting pitching/rotation compared to other teams.

There are a LOT of other factors involved.

According to my BP, USCF, while a homer haven, is slightly better than neutral for hitting overall. Last year, the 3 year factor was exactly neutral.

So if the White Sox stay away from flyball pitchers, they usually fare pretty well at home.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)
According to my BP, USCF, while a homer haven, is slightly better than neutral for hitting overall. Last year, the 3 year factor was exactly neutral.

So if the White Sox stay away from flyball pitchers, they usually fare pretty well at home.

Which was the difficulty with ol' Javy Vazquez, correct?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 11:27 AM)

In fact, there were a number of hitters in recent years who've actually done much better away from USCF, for whatever reason, like Beckham and Quentin.

And, for most of those years, our pitcher's home ERAs were comparable or even better than on the road.

As far as the flyball issue goes, that's one of the arguments for keeping Quintana over Santiago. If they could get Hector to stop worrying about throwing 95 MPH and throw more two-seam sinking fastballs, he'd probably be much better off.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
In each of his 3 Chris Sale-like fWAR seasons with the White Sox, Javy's ERA was higher on the road than at home.

Taking a look, his HR/FB% was basically at its lowest with the White Sox, too. So strange diagnosing him. The only thing that really jumps out at a glance is pretty low strand rates.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 5, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
Taking a look, his HR/FB% was basically at its lowest with the White Sox, too. So strange diagnosing him. The only thing that really jumps out at a glance is pretty low strand rates.

I think it just boils down to Javy being an enigma nothing will ever be able to explain.