2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
So I live near Wrigley and last night was the first time in a while I could remember actually hearing the crowd at the stadium, so I originally thought "i guess they still do have fans." turns out it was a billy joel concert, lol.

Yet what they average this year has only been topped by the White Sox 4 times,.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 19, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
So I live near Wrigley and last night was the first time in a while I could remember actually hearing the crowd at the stadium, so I originally thought "i guess they still do have fans." turns out it was a billy joel concert, lol.

Billy Joel puts a on a great show for any who have not seen him before.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 08:46 PM)
Mark Appel over Kris Bryant is looking worse and worse by the day. Bryant on pace for 57 homers over a 162 game season.

Hopefully that's two straight drafts that mistakes by the Astros help out Chicago

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
Mark Appel over Kris Bryant is looking worse and worse by the day. Bryant on pace for 57 homers over a 162 game season.

I remember when some people said Bryant didn't deserve to be a high pick (I think there were a few posters on here) and I was like are you crazy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
The Cubs are advertising Eddie Vedder singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. I believe they are at rock bottom.

There is a 99.9999% chance that Vedder is wasted while doing so. He's a soak.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 05:44 AM)
Almora going to AA Tennessee.

Soler going to AAA Iowa. That Iowa team is loaded.

With Rizzo quickly turning into a superstar, the Cubs offensive potential in a few years is scary. If they were smart, they'd keep Alcantara at 2nd and keep Baez at SS and then trade him for a young pitcher.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
With Rizzo quickly turning into a superstar, the Cubs offensive potential in a few years is scary. If they were smart, they'd keep Alcantara at 2nd and keep Baez at SS and then trade him for a young pitcher.

Trade Baez or Castro?

The problem with that strategy is that teams will want to see proof that Javier can play SS at the major league level...because there are lots of LOUD whispers and concerns about his defense.

He's still valuable from a trade standpoint at 2B, but not like if he could stick at SS. That's why you have the Cubs preparing to move Alcantara all over the field, CF, 3B, LF, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
To me, a monster trade of Baez and others (Almora, Vogelbach, P. Johnson) for David Price makes a lot of sense for both teams. Price has hinted he'd be interested in pitching for the Cubs, so an extension might work out.

Who has been playing middle infield other than Zobrist for the Rays? TB is also looking into moving Desmond Jennings and possible Loney, so they could clearly use all the young offensive talent they can get.

They might prefer Edwards to Johnson, although Baez/Almora/Edwards would be a huge price to pay...that might be the going market. Guess it depends on how the Cubs feel about Soler/Almora as well...if they value Soler's power at the corners or someone with speed/defense who can play CF.

A lot of people think Alcantara could play CF. Then you have McKinney (A's trade), not sure what his best position is...but keeping Castro and moving Russell to 2B or vice-versa could be the solution.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
To me, a monster trade of Baez and others (Almora, Vogelbach, P. Johnson) for David Price makes a lot of sense for both teams. Price has hinted he'd be interested in pitching for the Cubs, so an extension might work out.

The consensus seems to be that they would rather throw big money at a FA pitcher like Lester or Price if available, as opposed to trading prospects and then having to sign a big money extension.

So then the only way that would work is going the F.Garcia trade path...seeing if Price would be amenable to a "reasonable" contract extension as a condition of a possible trade.

Obviously, if he wants to hit the FA market after 2015 and offer his services to 30 clubs, just depends on how serious he is in his public comments about being interested in coming to the Cubs.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 09:29 PM)
I'd be tickled s***less if the Cubs gutted their system to get an expensive, soon-to-be 29 year old starting pitcher whose velocity has dropped for three consecutive seasons

I'd feel better about it if they threw $200 million at him as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)

Alcantara has been playing CF recently.

The future is Rizzo 1B, Baez 2B, Russell SS, Castro 3B, Bryant LF, Alcantara CF.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
Alcantara has been playing CF recently.

The future is Rizzo 1B, Baez 2B, Russell SS, Castro 3B, Bryant LF, Alcantara CF.

Yeah that's pretty impossible to know at this point.