2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)
Yeah that's pretty impossible to know at this point.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/9558/

Player Notes

CSN Chicago's Patrick Mooney reports that the Cubs have had internal discussions about moving third base prospect Kris Bryant to right field.

Advice: Bryant is, at best, an adequate defensive third baseman, but the Cubs are content to leave him there for now. However, a position switch to right field could eventually come. "He can do it," general manager Jed Hoyer said of moving Bryant to the outfield. "He played center in college, and he's played right. He feels good out there. The biggest focus for him right now is he's working on his defense. He is almost 6-6, and with that the fundamentals of playing third base are more challenging. In the future, I would never say never that we wouldn't put him out there. But right now, our focus is third."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's far from a sure thing that Castro would deal well with the position change to 3B without moping and 2) whether he would be the same player offensively (2014 version, at least) if his defense started going south.

Granted, power numbers are way down for MLB 3B, and there's almost as much of a lack there as at catcher, but moving Castro seems like a recipe for disaster. They would probably be better off moving him to a team who wants to keep him at SS for pitching.

And Alcantara playing CF is just like Alexei Ramirez. Far from a finished product.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
C Todd Hundley

1B Hee Sop Choi

2b Bobby Hill

SS Shawn Dunston

3B Josh Vitters

RF Felix Pie

CF Corey Patterson

LF Alfonso Soriano

How is Soriano there? Maybe Brant Brown, Brett Jackson, Jerome Walton or Dwight Smith.

You could also add Kevin Orie and Gary Scott at 3B.

Dunston didn't live up to his billing, but he was a fine MLB SS, if an inconsistent offensive contributor. Nobody had a better arm for that position in my memory.

Geo Soto completely imploded.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
How is Soriano there? Maybe Brant Brown, Brett Jackson, Jerome Walton or Dwight Smith.

You could also add Kevin Orie and Gary Scott at 3B.

Dunston didn't live up to his billing, but he was a fine MLB SS, if an inconsistent offensive contributor. Nobody had a better arm for that position in my memory.

Geo Soto completely imploded.

Well you need some veteran leadership in that lineup full of youngsters. And Dunston was the man, Wrigley is just a better place with the Shawon-O-Meter.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
C Todd Hundley

1B Hee Sop Choi

2b Bobby Hill

SS Shawn Dunston

3B Josh Vitters

RF Felix Pie

CF Corey Patterson

LF Alfonso Soriano

You can do the same with the sox , at the top of my head:C-Olivo 2b-Beckham3b-fieldsOf-AndersonOf-borchardOf-SweeneyOf-reedNot going to even mention the failed pitchers lol Prospects=suspects, they don't ALL pan out

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)
You can do the same with the sox , at the top of my head:C-Olivo 2b-Beckham3b-fieldsOf-AndersonOf-borchardOf-SweeneyOf-reedNot going to even mention the failed pitchers lol Prospects=suspects, they don't ALL pan out

Yes, but we never sold our fanbase on a team of ONLY those and have ALL of our hopes ride on those.

Example: Reed, Olivo, Borchard, and Sweeney, B-Mac, Chris Young, and Dan Hudson were all traded to upgrade the MLB roster while Cubs fans would go nuts if any of their precious prospects were traded. Not saying Sox fans wouldn't, because this board sure does, but so far Gio is really the only one that got away.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)

Yes, but the difference is that the Sox didn't buy into their lineup ever looking like that. Right around the time our lineup was going to shape up like that, it looked totally different and we won a World Series.

If you go back to that 2000-2001 Class, it would have looked something like this...

Kip Wells

Garland

Rauch

Biddle

Barcelo

Stumm

Fogg

Myette

Parque

Buehrle

Beirne

Matt Ginter

Crede...B.Anderson (later)...Chris Young....Olivo....J.Reed....Anthony Webster...Rowand...Borchard...B.McCarthy (later)

Edited by caulfield12

Oh man, I forgot all about Josh Vitters. His case is the exact reason I could not possibly care less about prospect rankings.

BP had him #45 pre 2008, #41 pre 2009, and #35 pre 2010 without the tiniest logical explanation as to why. BA had him 43, 51, and 70 too so they don't go without blame.

His line this year you ask? .205/.263/.329/.592

Although the chances of this actually happening are incredibly tiny, it is nuts to think the Cubs could have 3 40+ HR guys in the middle of their lineup in Bryant, Schwarber and Baez. That's not even counting Rizzo.

Baez looks like the most likely to bust. He seems an all-or-nothing type -- either he's an 8-time all star or he doesn't even stick in the majors.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Although the chances of this actually happening are incredibly tiny, it is nuts to think the Cubs could have 3 40+ HR guys in the middle of their lineup in Bryant, Schwarber and Baez. That's not even counting Rizzo.

Baez looks like the most likely to bust. He seems an all-or-nothing type -- either he's an 8-time all star or he doesn't even stick in the majors.

Let's not get too amped up over Schwarber yet. Incredibly small sample size (which, frankly, his A- and A trips were too), but he's been far less impressive at A+.

I've read a couple people on here think Baez could bust. He's 1 year older than Courtney Hawkins and really starting to pick it up in AAA. If he was a White Sox prospect, I doubt there would be bust talk, but rather Jose Abreu protection. I hope he busts, but I think it's really unlikely. I think he's a sure-fire major leaguer whose floor as long as he doesn't get hurt, is an average hitter.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just like Abreu, Avi, Hawkins, Davidson, and Viciedo, right?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
Let's not get too amped up over Schwarber yet. Incredibly small sample size (which, frankly, his A- and A trips were too), but he's been far less impressive at A+.

I will readily admit I overhype Schwarber solely because I watched him at Indiana. The kid can flat out hit. But you're right, it's still a small sample size and it's a hell of a long way to go.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
Just like Abreu, Avi, Hawkins, Davidson, and Viciedo, right?

Outside of Abreu, I don't think any of those guys were expected to have the Baez/Bryant/Schwarber power tool. More like 30-HR range at peak.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
I've read a couple people on here think Baez could bust. He's 1 year older than Courtney Hawkins and really starting to pick it up in AAA. If he was a White Sox prospect, I doubt there would be bust talk, but rather Jose Abreu protection. I hope he busts, but I think it's really unlikely. I think he's a sure-fire major leaguer whose floor as long as he doesn't get hurt, is an average hitter.

Why? A good chunk of Soxtalk has already deemed Hawkins a bust and quit on him.