2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

Apparently I signed up for the Cubs season ticket waiting list years ago, because I got a call that my number got called, as did every other Cubs fan I know. That massive waiting list has quickly dwindled down.

If I could guarantee they would be a playoff team next year, it could be a good investment with playoff tickets, but 81 games is a lot and they aren't cheap.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 11:29 PM)
David Kaplan is on twitter saying there's a rumor that Cubs are interested in Nick Swisher lololololololol

The bro critical mass would cause Wrigley to become a sinkhole

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
Cubs acquire 2B Tommy La Stella and 4th int signing slot for RP Arodys Vizcaino and 2nd, 3rd, 4th int signing slots.

Weird move.....

The Sox are gonna have a rotation with all lefties, while the Cubs have a lineup with all infielders. :lol:

As I mentioned in the Alexei thread, I think Castro is getting traded for pitching.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2014 -> 07:54 PM)
The Sox are gonna have a rotation with all lefties, while the Cubs have a lineup with all infielders. :lol:

As I mentioned in the Alexei thread, I think Castro is getting traded for pitching.

Alcantara can play the outfield.

It's likely that Bryant or Baez will end up out there.

Soler, of course.

McKinney, who they acquired from the A's.

Sweeney or Coghlan as your 4/5 guys. They might give Junior Lake one more shot.

FWIW, Jewell is a radio personality on WLIP in Kenosha.

Brad Jewell ‏@aballer53141 30m30 minutes ago

#Cubs will announce signing of Lester Tuesday

Wayne Randazzo ‏@WayneRandazzo 28m28 minutes ago

@aballer53141 fact or prediction?

Brad Jewell ‏@aballer53141

@WayneRandazzo I heard through my source at the Cubs..he works there and says they are announcing the signing of a significant impact player

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
FWIW, Jewell is a radio personality on WLIP in Kenosha.

Brad Jewell ‏@aballer53141 30m30 minutes ago

#Cubs will announce signing of Lester Tuesday

Wayne Randazzo ‏@WayneRandazzo 28m28 minutes ago

@aballer53141 fact or prediction?

Brad Jewell ‏@aballer53141

@WayneRandazzo I heard through my source at the Cubs..he works there and says they are announcing the signing of a significant impact player

Well they are meeting with Lester tomorrow. But that's weird that that dude is breaking that out now if true.

They had the CSN Cubs guy on Kaplan's CSN show today, and Kaplan was so excited asking him if thought Theo would be able to convince Lester to come to Chicago and win a title with the Cubs. The beat guy said he thought Lester winds up back in Boston. Kap looked like he was about to cry.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
They had the CSN Cubs guy on Kaplan's CSN show today, and Kaplan was so excited asking him if thought Theo would be able to convince Lester to come to Chicago and win a title with the Cubs. The beat guy said he thought Lester winds up back in Boston. Kap looked like he was about to cry.

I can't decide if I would rather see Lester go to the Cardinals, or to see them drive the bidding up to a ridiculous price for the Cubs to swallow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 07:42 PM)
I can't decide if I would rather see Lester go to the Cardinals, or to see them drive the bidding up to a ridiculous price for the Cubs to swallow.

He's a FA SP with a good track record, he's going to get a ridiculous amount of money from any team he signs with, he's not going back to Boston or the Cubs for a feel good story, he's going to end up in the place that offers him the most $$

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
He's a FA SP with a good track record, he's going to get a ridiculous amount of money from any team he signs with, he's not going back to Boston or the Cubs for a feel good story, he's going to end up in the place that offers him the most $$

Unless it's the Marlins, haha.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)

Which means there is zero chance he ends up with the Cardinals, that's not how they do business.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
They have stepped up and paid for FAs before, Matt Holliday being the most recent example.

He was one of their own at that point though too.

I think this is a little gamesmanship on behalf of the Cards to try and drive up the bidding for the Cubs. Sure, they could use Lester, but I don't think they want him. But if it causes the Red Sox or Cubs to pay a little more, then it's worth it. The Cubs connection is easy to make, but bidding up the price for a team that has beaten you in the World Series the last two times you lost doesn't hurt either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
They have stepped up and paid for FAs before, Matt Holliday being the most recent example.

That's true, but they had already traded for him mid-season, then decided to re-sign him.

Their offseason MO seems to be targeted towards the mid-tier free agents, not the $100 million dollar guys. And of course those mid-tier guys always seem to perform above and beyond their contracts.

• 2 weeks later...