2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we just stop with all of these BS narratives about choosing the Cubs because of a sales pitch or because they have a "plan"? Nearly $26 million AAV. He chose them because of money, that's how free agency works. There's nothing with admitting that.

The end of the deal could get ugly, but until then Lester should be legit. When you potentially have so many cheap, cost-controlled plus bats, it makes it much easier to stomach an overpay for an ace.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 12:51 AM)
No reason they won't be a top 5 team in baseball from 2016-2020. I'm more nervous about them getting a big time bat to go along with Rizzo/Castro/Bryant/Soler/Russell

Well yeah there's one pretty big reason. Those players not being able to transition.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:22 AM)
Well yeah there's one pretty big reason. Those players not being able to transition.

fathom has all of their all star plaques shined up and ready to go. He just refurbed the ones he had made for the previous generation of cant miss cubs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
fathom has all of their all star plaques shined up and ready to go. He just refurbed the ones he had made for the previous generation of cant miss cubs

My favorite part is he didnt mention Baez.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)

The last time they paid a late 30s player 20 plus million a year was a mistake. You'd think they would learn.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:07 AM)
Can we just stop with all of these BS narratives about choosing the Cubs because of a sales pitch or because they have a "plan"? Nearly $26 million AAV. He chose them because of money, that's how free agency works. There's nothing with admitting that.

The end of the deal could get ugly, but until then Lester should be legit. When you potentially have so many cheap, cost-controlled plus bats, it makes it much easier to stomach an overpay for an ace.

They offered 35 million more than any other team to get him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 07:07 AM)

No, he is loyal to Theo and Jed, and everyone wants to play for Maddon. The extra $20 million and possible 7th year at $15 million is just a coincidence.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
No, he is loyal to Theo and Jed, and everyone wants to play for Maddon. The extra $20 million and possible 7th year at $15 million is just a coincidence.

I'm super-excited to hear Len Kasper put it all into perspective for me, all while reminding me of how he plays in a band and is super-hip.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:04 AM)
Higher annual amount per year with the Cubs, as well as the non-California income tax factor.

Ahh, I had not considered the California tax.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:05 AM)
Lester will make about $26M per year, otherwise known as more than the combined 2015 contracts of Samardzija ($10M), Sale ($6M), and Abreu ($8.7M).

And somewhere there's a cub fan that would try to sell you the idea that its better to have Lester than Samardzija, Sale and Abreu.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Good for the Cubs. This contract will obviously be a mess they have to deal with in years 5 and 6(if not earlier) but it was time for them to make a leap like this as well. Nice rotation they have.

I think they're counting on Arrieta and Hendricks being legit, and I'm not saying they might not but they need to show at least another strong year before they start talking about having a playoff rotation.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 06:34 AM)
They spent $60M to get Addison Russell.

Over the life of that contract JS will out perform JL.

They got a top flight pitcher with a lot of wear and tear who may decline as these hitters start to excel.

Going after Longoria will cost Harvey plus Russell.

It was a move they had to make.

Who is Harvey?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
I was hoping the Giants got Lester, mainly from the standpoint that the Giants sounded like they wouldn't pursue Scherzer if they missed on Lester but the Cubs would. I guess there's still hope that the Red Sox get Scherzer.

I think the Yankees and Nationals might go after Max.