TWTR Opening price $26 a share

Texsox

Who is in?

Twitter priced its initial public offering at $26 a share late Wednesday, a move that clears the way for the stock to start trading Thursday.

The company will begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker "TWTR." Although it's not clear just how high the stock will go on its first day, it's possible that shares will surge well above the offering price.

While the stock market opens at 9:30 a.m. ET, Twitter's shares likely won't start trading right away. It typically takes time -- sometimes an hour or more -- for newly listed shares to begin actively trading on the day of their public debut.

Get complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, CNN.com and CNN Mobile.

I think there's potential for some profit in the very short term but it will pull back rather quickly. They have not proven to be able to make money yet or take advantage of advertising. I was going to invest if the IPO price was closer to 20 but at that price I'd rather put the money I had earmarked for it into a Biotech I've been watching. Probably a good long term stock to own if you're willing to hold on for a while.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 07:34 AM)
I think there's potential for some profit in the very short term but it will pull back rather quickly. They have not proven to be able to make money yet or take advantage of advertising. I was going to invest if the IPO price was closer to 20 but at that price I'd rather put the money I had earmarked for it into a Biotech I've been watching. Probably a good long term stock to own if you're willing to hold on for a while.

Agreed.

What's this biotech? :)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 05:34 AM)

Aren't these similar concerns that Facebook had?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
Agreed.

What's this biotech? :)

Intermune ($ITMN). They research and manufacture drugs for pulmonary and fibrotic diseases. Esbriet is their latest drug they are running trials with.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Aren't these similar concerns that Facebook had?

And look what happened to their stock. I managed to buy some when it was down around 21, which looks great with the stock back around 50.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
Intermune ($ITMN). They research and manufacture drugs for pulmonary and fibrotic diseases. Esbriet is their latest drug they are running trials with.

Man, I don't know about this one -- leveraged to the hilt (over 75% debt to asset ratio), and a negative 700% yearly profit margin? If that drug fails trials, that company is going to 0.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Man, I don't know about this one -- leveraged to the hilt (over 75% debt to asset ratio), and a negative 700% yearly profit margin? If that drug fails trials, that company is going to 0.

The drug is already approved in the EU, Japan, China and India. It's turned down recently but keeps flirting with 15-16 and several establishments have raised the PT's on it to the 17-20 range. Obviously the drug is the key but it's been interesting to me for a while. Waiting a little longer though.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
A lot. Not one lot, but a lot. :)

I'm too risk averse for this...simply because of the lay.

To keep numbers low and simple:

Buy 100 shares of Twitter at 47 = 4705$ including trade commission (let's be generous and say the trade commission was only 5$)

Sell 100 shares of Twitter at 50 = 5005$ including the same trade commission.

That's a quick profit of 300$

Now, subtract 30+% on short term cap gains, so let's call it a profit of 210$.

So, you essentially laid 4705$ to win a bet of 210$.

I simply cannot do this type of trading.

Edit: Of course, I understand that it's not like Vegas where it's a zero sum game, either win the 210$ or lose everything, but it does have a potential loss into the thousands. I expect Twitter to draw back much like Facebook did after it's buzz wears thin, and unlike Facebook, Twitter is quite far from posting any sort of profit.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)

Buy 100 shares of Twitter at 47 = 4705$ including trade commission (let's be generous and say the trade commission was only 5$)

Edit: Of course, I understand that it's not like Vegas where it's a zero sum game, either win the 210$ or lose everything, but it does have a potential loss into the thousands. I expect Twitter to draw back much like Facebook did after it's buzz wears thin, and unlike Facebook, Twitter is quite far from posting any sort of profit.

Right...your edit is key, but still...this is the type of thing that a lot of people are doing in Vegas right now, using in-game lines...they are "scalping" the moneylines and point spreads by taking advantage of moving numbers resulting from the live action. It's become very, very similar to playing the stock market.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 05:50 PM)

I trade professionally so my commission fees are thankfully a lot better than that. Stuff like Twitter today is a dream thanks to how volatile it is. There was a lot of free money to be had.