Who willl win the Boras/Jay-Z agent war?

caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:58 PM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 4m

Sources: If Robinson Cano is getting $200M, it won't be from the Yankees. They are adamant they won't go there. News: http://yhoo.it/19dTIyR

I'll wait until the contract gets signed before I call out Jay-Z. There is so much posturing now, but teams tend to get desperate, a player like Cano is always in the catbird seat. (Did I really just quote Hawk?)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
I'll wait until the contract gets signed before I call out Jay-Z. There is so much posturing now, but teams tend to get desperate, a player like Cano is always in the catbird seat. (Did I really just quote Hawk?)

Yes.

Stretch.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
Sources are claiming that Cano & the Mariners were close to a 9/$225 deal, but at the end Jay-Z tried to up the deal to 10/$250, and the Seattle FO people balked and were not happy at all.

Sounds like Jay-Z is using the M's as leverage against the Yankees. There's no reason Cano shouldn't have accepted the 9/$225 on the spot other than that.

The first sign of a good agent is when they pidgeonhole themselves and only want to sign with one team, and when another shows interest, you continue to increase your bid until they storm out of the room in a fury, limiting where you can sign.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
Sounds like Jay-Z is using the M's as leverage against the Yankees. There's no reason Cano shouldn't have accepted the 9/$225 on the spot other than that.

The first sign of a good agent is when they pidgeonhole themselves and only want to sign with one team, and when another shows interest, you continue to increase your bid until they storm out of the room in a fury, limiting where you can sign.

Offers don't go away just because a team storms out of the room. Or at least they shouldn't. The team storming out of the room should be the team deciding this is the point where they want to stop bidding against themselves.

If Cano waits too long then the M's might spend their money elsewhere, that's the risk, but the M's weren't likely to go and sign an impact bat in the next couple days...because there aren't that many more remaining.

If Cano was serious about playing in Seattle, depending on what actually occurred in the meeting, Jay Z may have done some damage. If it isn't gamesmanship on Seattle's part, there would have to be more than just requesting another year at around the same amount to end negotiations permanently. I find it hard to believe if the Mariners offered 9-$225 million, that if they called them today and said they would take it, the offer wouldn't still be there.

If money is the only thing that matters, and the Mariners are totally serious about pulling their offer permanently and dropping out, Jay Z screwed up, because he isn't getting that money anywhere else. I highly doubt any of it is true. I think Cano would play for less in NY. I think the Mariners would sign Cano today for exactly what they were willing to sign him to play yesterday. IMO, The Yankees got Cano's attention by signing Ellsbury. Now Cano and Jay Z are trying to get the Yankees attention.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Cano should just take the 7/175 from the Yankees. But whatever.

Wherever he ends up, I hope it's in the next 3-4 days. That would make the trade market more clear going into next week.

Heyman is saying it looks like Seattle is back in. I hope someday someone makes a documentary all about the actual negotiations of these contracts. It would be so interesting and probably entertaining watching the BS from both sides.

A-Rod still isn't done smearing s*** all over the Yankees, if they gave Cano anything close to what he was asking for, then they're idiots and I would hope they'd be made to pay Rodriguez every last cent of that deal they're looking to squirm their way out of.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Seattle has a really good young core. This move likely will pay off in the short term. Long term? Yucky.

Their rotation as-is (meaning before a deal for David Price) has a chance to be the best in baseball. Felix, Walker, Iwakuma, Paxson, Hultzen, Ramirez... Bullpen is deep as well.

Franklin, Miller, Seager, Zunino... and now Cano.

They need outfield bats, not another starting pitcher.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
Seattle has a really good young core. This move likely will pay off in the short term. Long term? Yucky.

Their rotation as-is (meaning before a deal for David Price) has a chance to be the best in baseball. Felix, Walker, Iwakuma, Paxson, Hultzen, Ramirez... Bullpen is deep as well.

Franklin, Miller, Seager, Zunino... and now Cano.

They need outfield bats, not another starting pitcher.

If a couple of those young guys just have decent years next year they've got a shot to be right with the top of that division with this move. It's an insane amount of money but I get why they'd do it.

I hope for Seattle's sake they can become contenders and remain contenders or these salaries are going to handcuff this team when fans don't come out and spend their money. If they contend it will workout but it isn't like they have the loyal fan base the Yankees have to fall back on which is why the Yanks are able spend the way they do. Better the Mariners than the Sox in my eyes.

This also makes it a bit more likely that Tanaka goes to the Cubs.

There was a lot of talk before the off-season that Seattle wanted to make a huge splash in the free agent market. Obviously they've chosen to go the "offense" route...but the Mariners had those pre-existing ties to Japan, so there was a lot of talk.