Who willl win the Boras/Jay-Z agent war?

caulfield12

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 07:44 AM)
CEOs are not negotiating the deals, but they are approving major shifts in the brand's marketing, and a major celebrity endorsement would qualify.

And between Jay-Z and Boras, Jay-Z would sell more cars. But this may be where you are confused. We are talking about Jay-Z getting endorsements for other people, not himself.

Agent A has a stake in several companies offering endorsements and has also dealt with companies in obtaining his own endorsements.

Agent B only has a history of negotiating and by all accounts is a major pain in the ass to deal with.

I think Agent A wins in my book.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 07:57 AM)
Agent A has a stake in several companies offering endorsements and has also dealt with companies in obtaining his own endorsements.

Agent B only has a history of negotiating and by all accounts is a major pain in the ass to deal with.

I think Agent A wins in my book.

Since we are discussing only endorsements here, what company has accused Agent B of being a pain in the ass?

And again, how does Jay-Z's endorsement potential translate to getting more endorsements for his clients? Will he give his up? Will he agree to promote products with his clients? Do you want to compete with your agent for endorsements?

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 07:48 AM)
People have offered that Jay-Z would have an edge with signing clients, and I can see that. I believe that Boras has an edge in getting endorsements for his clients. For the same reasons as were offered that Jay-Z has an edge with clients.

Except he's not very concerned with getting endorsements. He would rather secure the big contracts. I think it's a cop out. Sure, there are the Buehrle's, Credes, in this example...Matt Holliday, but there are a ton of players who would love to get the chance to broaden their exposure and increase their income, too.

"Marketing is completely different in baseball than if you're a model or a musician or even a basketball or football player," Boras said. "It requires tremendous knowledge of the industry and the player to do this correctly. If you don't do it correctly, anything you make in marketing will serve as a loss of hundreds of millions in what a player can earn contractually."

In other words, if Robinson Cano is so worn out from chasing endorsements that he hits .240, Madison Avenue will lose interest very quickly. The baseball season is such a grind, a lot of players don't have the appetite for day-long photo shoots in January. They'd rather spend free winter days sitting in a duck blind, or playing golf, or making up for lost time with their families.

"I have four kids, and I'm really not interested in [endorsements]," said St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Matt Holliday, a Boras client since 2005. "Scott has a great marketing team and they tell you they can get you some side money, but the one thing he stresses is, 'You can make a ton of money as a great baseball player, so worry about being the best player you can be.' They don't necessarily want their clients flying around the country doing commercials in the offseason. That's a great opportunity to work on your game and your body to make sure you're ready to endure 162 games at the highest level."

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)
Since we are discussing only endorsements here, what company has accused Agent B of being a pain in the ass?

And again, how does Jay-Z's endorsement potential translate to getting more endorsements for his clients? Will he give his up? Will he agree to promote products with his clients? Do you want to compete with your agent for endorsements?

Who is going to turn down Jay-Z's phone call?

In MLB, about 1/3rd of the teams don't want to have anything to do with Boras, the White Sox, historically, one of them.

And how many corporations like Nike or McDonald's or Apple even know anything about Boras, unless their marketing departments are REALLY into baseball. They all know Jay-Z and CAA, as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
Who is going to turn down Jay-Z's phone call?

In MLB, about 1/3rd of the teams don't want to have anything to do with Boras, the White Sox, historically, one of them.

And how many corporations like Nike or McDonald's or Apple even know anything about Boras, unless their marketing departments are REALLY into baseball. They all know Jay-Z and CAA, as well.

Look at Boras' client list. You really don't believe advertising agencies and major companies have heard of him? It's their business. My daughter, who is in advertising, could list all of the top Hispanic talent in America. She doesn't have to watch the novellas, hear the Tejano, to know the top people and who represents them.

I'm not suggesting that Jay-Z will fail, I believe he will be successful. There are any number of successful agents. But I just don't see him knocking off Boras as the top baseball agent any time soon.

And as far as taking Jay-Z's calls. Look at the top ten list and tell me which one has Jay_Z on their iPod? I believe the "doesn't know who they are" will be more mid 50 Fortune 500 executives to Jay-Z. I just don't see Denise Morrison getting excited that Jay-Z is calling her. I don't see her getting excited that Boras is calling either.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)

No companies have come out publicly, but if multiple baseball teams have I would imagine he negotiates similarily with others. That style probably works well with a baseball team desperate for a player, but companies don't NEED a player to endorse their product.

Jay-Z has connections with many people in the business & endorsement world through all his past dealing, that's why it can help get more endorsements. People have a history with him and more likely to want to deal with him again.

Why are they competing for the same endorsements? They are completely different people in different genres.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
Look at Boras' client list. You really don't believe advertising agencies and major companies have heard of him? It's their business. My daughter, who is in advertising, could list all of the top Hispanic talent in America. She doesn't have to watch the novellas, hear the Tejano, to know the top people and who represents them.

I'm not suggesting that Jay-Z will fail, I believe he will be successful. There are any number of successful agents. But I just don't see him knocking off Boras as the top baseball agent any time soon.

And as far as taking Jay-Z's calls. Look at the top ten list and tell me which one has Jay_Z on their iPod? I believe the "doesn't know who they are" will be more mid 50 Fortune 500 executives to Jay-Z. I just don't see Denise Morrison getting excited that Jay-Z is calling her. I don't see her getting excited that Boras is calling either.

Well then maybe Peter Frampton should become an agent, if music on iPods plays such a big role.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:14 AM)
No companies have come out publicly, but if multiple baseball teams have I would imagine he negotiates similarily with others. That style probably works well with a baseball team desperate for a player, but companies don't NEED a player to endorse their product.

Jay-Z has connections with many people in the business & endorsement world through all his past dealing, that's why it can help get more endorsements. People have a history with him and more likely to want to deal with him again.

Why are they competing for the same endorsements? They are completely different people in different genres.

You keep mentioning how much more popular Jay-Z is, and I agree. he does have endorsements with those same people. When you hire him as your agent, you are asking him to also get you an endorsement with the same company he is endorsing. That seems like competing.

And no, I believe Boras, like Jay-Z, are able to adapt their style to achieve their goals. They both appear to be excellent negotiators. Boras has honed a style that gets big bucks for his clients from baseball teams. If you want an agent that gets less for you, then maybe Jay-Z is your guy.

Jay-Z is an incredible businessperson, building a nice empire. His net worth is over $500 million. Boras is, as you described, just a sports agent who has a net worth of only $100 million. So ask yourself, do you want a full time agent who has a thirty year track record or part time rookie agent with no experience representing athletes?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
Well then maybe Peter Frampton should become an agent, if music on iPods plays such a big role.

I've been resisting making that same claim. Thank you.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
Well then maybe Jay-Z should become an agent, if music on iPods plays such a big role.

See?

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
I've been resisting making that same claim. Thank you.

See?

You obviously can't get over the fact that Jay-Z makes rap music, while ignoring every other business venture he has been involved in outside of music, so I'm done with this.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)

Then again, 20-30% of those executives probably wouldn't take a call from President Obama, either.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:24 AM)
You keep mentioning how much more popular Jay-Z is, and I agree. he does have endorsements with those same people. When you hire him as your agent, you are asking him to also get you an endorsement with the same company he is endorsing. That seems like competing.

And no, I believe Boras, like Jay-Z, are able to adapt their style to achieve their goals. They both appear to be excellent negotiators. Boras has honed a style that gets big bucks for his clients from baseball teams. If you want an agent that gets less for you, then maybe Jay-Z is your guy.

Jay-Z is an incredible businessperson, building a nice empire. His net worth is over $500 million. Boras is, as you described, just a sports agent who has a net worth of only $100 million. So ask yourself, do you want a full time agent who has a thirty year track record or part time rookie agent with no experience representing athletes?

Let's say Boras was going to get him $250 million (but he ends up with say the Tigers or Dodgers) and Jay-Z ends up getting $215 but he stays in New York where he's comfortable and WANTS to stay because he's going to be the cornerstone of the franchise, he can be one of those rare players who plays his entire career for one team...and he makes it back up in endorsements.

Everyone's just going to look at the years and total money.

That's the only thing Boras really cares about.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
You obviously can't get over the fact that Jay-Z makes rap music, while ignoring every other business venture he has been involved in outside of music, so I'm done with this.

Yes, he is involved in other business ventures which have been immensely successful. Which is why I asked do you want a part time or full time agent? One is branching out, starting a new business, the other has a thirty year track record as a sports agent.

Which argument hinges on Jay-Z being popular with a lot of endorsements? Mine or yours? I will be more than happy to discount he is popular and suggest it has nothing to do with his future success as a sports agent if you will.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
Let's say Boras was going to get him $250 million (but he ends up with say the Tigers or Dodgers) and Jay-Z ends up getting $215 but he stays in New York where he's comfortable and WANTS to stay because he's going to be the cornerstone of the franchise, he can be one of those rare players who plays his entire career for one team...and he makes it back up in endorsements.

Everyone's just going to look at the years and total money.

That's the only thing Boras really cares about.

If getting less money and staying in one place is what you want, and one agent is better at that, you should hire that agent. If you want to know what all the offers are and where the highest money is, than hire that agent. Actually, why get an agent? Frank Thomas negotiated his own deals with JR.

If you are too weak to stand up to your agent and have them do what you want, you need a different agent. Maybe Jay-Z will be that agent and he just may corner the market on players wanting to earn less money but stay with their teams. (your example not mine) And that may sell in a MLB locker room. Boras will just force you to accept $250 million, but Jay-Z can get you $215 million and you get to stay with your current team. I guess there is a market for that service.

What endorsements did Jordan lose playing baseball and then playing for the Wizards? I honestly can't think of any, but I am certain there may have been a couple. Did Lebron lose a beat moving to Miami? Again, I'm not certain.

For most of these guys, their contracts are where they make their money. Take most team sports and most of the guys on the roster are not endorsement machines. You are probably right, they would make more staying in one market and developing local endorsements, but those aren't bringing in millions like playing. And thinking about this I am inclined to agree, if Jay-Z is willing to call a local car dealer to have his client endorse "Pete Smith Downtown San Antonio's Favorite Pontiac Dealer, Home of the Best Deals!" he may have an edge over Boras.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 06:50 AM)
Yes, he is involved in other business ventures which have been immensely successful. Which is why I asked do you want a part time or full time agent? One is branching out, starting a new business, the other has a thirty year track record as a sports agent.

Which argument hinges on Jay-Z being popular with a lot of endorsements? Mine or yours? I will be more than happy to discount he is popular and suggest it has nothing to do with his future success as a sports agent if you will.

I am not getting your arguments whatsoever...why does it matter whether the CEO wants to hang out with Jay-Z or Scott Boras? Do you really think this comes down to which agent the CEO wants to play golf with? This is about out of touch white CEOs thinking Jay-Z knows what the black demographic wants more than they do, and thus signing Jay-Z's client to endorse their companies' products.

It's as simple as that.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
I am not getting your arguments whatsoever...why does it matter whether the CEO wants to hang out with Jay-Z or Scott Boras? Do you really think this comes down to which agent the CEO wants to play golf with? This is about out of touch white CEOs thinking Jay-Z knows what the black demographic wants more than they do, and thus signing Jay-Z's client to endorse their companies' products.

It's as simple as that.

I agree. It doesn't matter who they want to hang out with. Which is why I reject Jay-Z's celebrity helping his clients earn endorsements. I also reject, whose call will that accept based on popularity. I reject that because Jay-Z's singing talent got him endorsements it will translate to endorsements for his clients.

Nope, their marketing, research, and advertising agency is telling them what a given demographic wants and which celeb endorsement could achieve that goal, not Jay-Z or Boras.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 06:58 AM)
If getting less money and staying in one place is what you want, and one agent is better at that, you should hire that agent. If you want to know what all the offers are and where the highest money is, than hire that agent. Actually, why get an agent? Frank Thomas negotiated his own deals with JR.

If you are too weak to stand up to your agent and have them do what you want, you need a different agent. Maybe Jay-Z will be that agent and he just may corner the market on players wanting to earn less money but stay with their teams. (your example not mine) And that may sell in a MLB locker room. Boras will just force you to accept $250 million, but Jay-Z can get you $215 million and you get to stay with your current team. I guess there is a market for that service.

What endorsements did Jordan lose playing baseball and then playing for the Wizards? I honestly can't think of any, but I am certain there may have been a couple. Did Lebron lose a beat moving to Miami? Again, I'm not certain.

For most of these guys, their contracts are where they make their money. Take most team sports and most of the guys on the roster are not endorsement machines. You are probably right, they would make more staying in one market and developing local endorsements, but those aren't bringing in millions like playing. And thinking about this I am inclined to agree, if Jay-Z is willing to call a local car dealer to have his client endorse "Pete Smith Downtown San Antonio's Favorite Pontiac Dealer, Home of the Best Deals!" he may have an edge over Boras.

The point wasn't that Jay-Z wants clients to stay put so they can reign in money from local endorsements. The point is that he recognizes the media opportunities in NY and believes he is better-suited to capitalize on them for his clients than other agents. If we were talking about Kansas City, I think he'd be trying to get the client into a larger market rather than keeping him in KC.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 07:23 AM)
I agree. It doesn't matter who they want to hang out with. Which is why I reject Jay-Z's celebrity helping his clients earn endorsements. I also reject, whose call will that accept based on popularity. I reject that because Jay-Z's singing talent got him endorsements it will translate to endorsements for his clients.

Nope, their marketing, research, and advertising agency is telling them what a given demographic wants and which celeb endorsement could achieve that goal, not Jay-Z or Boras.

Ok, case in point...the Democratic Party heavily leans on Jay-Z to drive the black/youth vote...Bill Mahr brings him on his show and rich liberal white people fawn over him...I mean Barack f***ing Obama uses this guy's connections.

Let me try it this way.

Jay-Z's advantage will be on the client side. I think a number of players will listen to his pitch and he will sign clients. He is an excellent example of someone who leveraged their individual talents into multiple income streams, and his clients would do well by emulating his example. He will also generate a lot of buzz and I believe the smaller firms initially will be hurt by him opening up this venture. Based on his track record in business, from what I see, he will be successful. Sports is after all an entertainment business, and he knows entertainment.

On the endorsement side, I'm not convinced, as one poster initially posted, that Jay-Z easily wins. That side is much different and his celebrity will not open as many doors. He isn't the one doing the commercials. If he was the best choice for a commercial, he would be doing it and competing with his own client. Instead, he has to find opportunities for his clients. That is a much different job. I'm not saying he can't do that for clients, I'm saying it isn't a slam dunk certainty across the board.

Overall. Established agents have track records negotiating with teams, which will be the vast majority of the earnings for 90% or more of the players. The debate in front of us is Boras or Jay-Z. If you go with Boras, or most other firms, you will be signing with someone who spends 100% of their business time on representing athletes. With Jay-Z he has other companies he also runs. his companies are bigger and more successful than Boras'. Do you want a full time agent or one who is balancing multiple companies? Each player will have to make that decision.

I believe most athletes sign with Boras for the money and he does exactly what they want. There are very few players that do not sign with the high bidder if given a chance. And I don't blame them. Players can be traded to other teams, not offered contracts, released, etc. Look at Thomas, he could have been one of those rare players who play for the same team all his career. Whose choice was it for him to leave? Konerko may want to stay, but does he have that choice? And Boras' clients can have it both ways. Unlike other agents, when a Boras' represented client signs for huge dollars, Boras,as much if not more than the player, is blamed.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
Ok, case in point...the Democratic Party heavily leans on Jay-Z to drive the black/youth vote...Bill Mahr brings him on his show and rich liberal white people fawn over him...I mean Barack f***ing Obama uses this guy's connections.

Agreed. Now how does Jay-Z sign his client to do that instead of him? Does Jay-Z shut up and offer a player for the Mets for that endorsement? And will conservative companies listen to Jay-Z?

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 07:46 AM)
Let me try it this way.

Jay-Z's advantage will be on the client side. I think a number of players will listen to his pitch and he will sign clients. He is an excellent example of someone who leveraged their individual talents into multiple income streams, and his clients would do well by emulating his example. He will also generate a lot of buzz and I believe the smaller firms initially will be hurt by him opening up this venture. Based on his track record in business, from what I see, he will be successful. Sports is after all an entertainment business, and he knows entertainment.

On the endorsement side, I'm not convinced, as one poster initially posted, that Jay-Z easily wins. That side is much different and his celebrity will not open as many doors. He isn't the one doing the commercials. If he was the best choice for a commercial, he would be doing it and competing with his own client. Instead, he has to find opportunities for his clients. That is a much different job. I'm not saying he can't do that for clients, I'm saying it isn't a slam dunk certainty across the board.

Overall. Established agents have track records negotiating with teams, which will be the vast majority of the earnings for 90% or more of the players. The debate in front of us is Boras or Jay-Z. If you go with Boras, or most other firms, you will be signing with someone who spends 100% of their business time on representing athletes. With Jay-Z he has other companies he also runs. his companies are bigger and more successful than Boras'. Do you want a full time agent or one who is balancing multiple companies? Each player will have to make that decision.

I believe most athletes sign with Boras for the money and he does exactly what they want. There are very few players that do not sign with the high bidder if given a chance. And I don't blame them. Players can be traded to other teams, not offered contracts, released, etc. Look at Thomas, he could have been one of those rare players who play for the same team all his career. Whose choice was it for him to leave? Konerko may want to stay, but does he have that choice? And Boras' clients can have it both ways. Unlike other agents, when a Boras' represented client signs for huge dollars, Boras,as much if not more than the player, is blamed.

You don't need to try it a different way.

I don't think you understand the cultural force that this guy is.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 8, 2013 -> 07:48 AM)
Agreed. Now how does Jay-Z sign his client to do that instead of him? Does Jay-Z shut up and offer a player for the Mets for that endorsement? And will conservative companies listen to Jay-Z?

He sells the client as a product, just as Scott Boras does! Except people actually like Jay-Z.

Let's use an example from sports, Michael Jordan. Ten years after retiring he's still raking it in with endorsements out earning most of the active athletes.

Will Jordan help you get an endorsement with Nike (his brand) or Adidas? Gatorade or All Sport? Hanes or Jockey? In one he's saying hey, use me also, in another he's working against one of his endorsements and with a company that possibly would prefer to have him endorse their product.

I just see the endorsement side being much murkier and much less a slam dunk win for Jay-Z. Again, I am certain he would be successful for his clients, but it won't be as easy as was written way back in that first post I quoted.