Who willl win the Boras/Jay-Z agent war?

caulfield12

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--s...-165809610.html

In the aftermath of Robinson Cano's defection to Seattle, New York presented Choo a seven-year, $140 million deal, three sources outside the Yankees' organization told Yahoo Sports. When Boras countered asking for more money – one source indicated he wanted "Ellsbury money," or $153 million over seven years – the Yankees pulled the offer and signed Carlos Beltran to a three-year, $45 million deal.

Still, the money didn't hurt. Texas has no state income tax, and the Rangers play a lot of road games in Seattle and Houston, where visiting players aren't subject to a tax on their earnings. The number crunchers at the Scott Boras Corp. concluded that he would have had to sign a deal for roughly $148 million with the New York Yankees to compare to the $130 million he'll receive from the Rangers.

www.espn.com (Crasnick)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
I think this offseason shows that players can't go wrong either way, teams just can't help themselves. Question is, can Jay-Z get the top players to choose him over Boras.

And how successful they will be promoting a player now toiling for a mostly irrelevant (for the last decade, especially after Ichiro left) franchise in the Pacific NW.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
I think this offseason shows that players can't go wrong either way, teams just can't help themselves. Question is, can Jay-Z get the top players to choose him over Boras.

I think Boras wins after getting Choo 7 years and $130. The expectations were for about 5/90.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)
I think Boras wins after getting Choo 7 years and $130. The expectations were for about 5/90.

After the Ellsbury deal, everyone was pretty much expecting $125+.

I guess you can credit Boras for setting the outfielder market there, it helped Choo and might have some carryover effect for Nelson Cruz, although his age and the recent PED's will push his total years down to 3-4 instead of 6-7-8.