Is there a market for Dunn

TheFutureIsNear

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Says the guy who wants the Sox to get Dan Uggla.

You and Balta think the Sox will contend next year. I would rather take Uggla + the prospects the Braves give for taking the contract because they aren't going to contend no matter who plays second.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 09:31 AM)
You and Balta think the Sox will contend next year. I would rather take Uggla + the prospects the Braves give for taking the contract because they aren't going to contend no matter who plays second.

The Braves aren't giving away prospects to take Dan Uggla. That was a Dan Bernstein pipedream. It hasn't happened in MLB history. He confused MLB with the NBA.

Go ahead and keep saying the Sox would get a legit prospect for taking Uggla. Everyone else seems to know the reality.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)
The Braves aren't giving away prospects to take Dan Uggla. That was a Dan Bernstein pipedream. It hasn't happened in MLB history. He confused MLB with the NBA.

Go ahead and keep saying the Sox would get a legit prospect for taking Uggla. Everyone else seems to know the reality.

Not to feed his ego or anything but per mlbtraderumors...

"The Braves certainly will entertain shopping" Dan Uggla, according to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro reports, and he looks at the chances of Uggla re-joining the Marlins as part of a reader mailbag. Frisaro suggests the Braves would move Uggla if a team agrees to pay $6MM of the $26MM owed to Uggla through the 2015 season, and if the trade partner pays more, Atlanta could add a prospect. I'd suggest that the Braves would have to sweeten the pot to move Uggla, who turns 34 in March, is a defensive liability at second base and has only hit .201/.330/.374 over the last two seasons. The Braves have been linked to a possible deal of Uggla and a prospect to the Reds for Brandon Phillips.

I don't think the prospect would be anything good though.

Here's a great reason to trade Dunn, and it's the one of the reasons the Cincinnati Reds traded him:

To get him out of the clubhouse and away from the younger players. He's out of shape, lazy and not much of a leader.

Or maybe he'll follow through on one of his hollow threats to walk away from the final year on his contract if he thinks things just aren't working.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
Here's a great reason to trade Dunn, and it's the one of the reasons the Cincinnati Reds traded him:

To get him out of the clubhouse and away from the younger players. He's out of shape, lazy and not much of a leader.

Or maybe he'll follow through on one of his hollow threats to walk away from the final year on his contract if he thinks things just aren't working.

This screams "I hate Adam Dunn as a person"

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 03:41 AM)

Is Dunn lazy? Is that a proven fact? I do think it was ridiculous we had to read about his commitment to go to left field during that week period when he actually hit a few balls to left and left center.

He completely stopped doing it shortly after having a bit of success doing so. That appalled me he gave all those comments about how smart it is to hit the other way, then he stopped doing it ... again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 12:00 AM)
Is Dunn lazy? Is that a proven fact? I do think it was ridiculous we had to read about his commitment to go to left field during that week period when he actually hit a few balls to left and left center.

He completely stopped doing it shortly after having a bit of success doing so. That appalled me he gave all those comments about how smart it is to hit the other way, then he stopped doing it ... again.

I've never heard that Dunn is a bad clubhouse guy. I don't think he's lazy either. He talked about his prep for 2011, when he said he didn't do a lot of baseball work over the winter. I think because of his disastrous 2011 season, it made him look like he was lazy.

And, Greg, for a guy whose baseball career has been hitting to right field, making an adjustment to hit to left field is not as simple as saying, "I'm going to start hitting to left field." He made the adjustment a few times, there was some success, but it didn't stick. A hitter will tend to fall back into patterns, especially if a pattern has been part of their life for 10 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Dunn fan, but unless the Sox have a plan to replace his left-handed bat and 30+ HRs, he'll be back for 2014. Beyond that, no way, he's gone. I imagine the Sox will be looking for another left-handed power hitter soon...but not for next season if for no other reason than no team would likely trade for him and give the Sox anything in return.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 06:19 AM)
I've never heard that Dunn is a bad clubhouse guy. I don't think he's lazy either. He talked about his prep for 2011, when he said he didn't do a lot of baseball work over the winter. I think because of his disastrous 2011 season, it made him look like he was lazy.

Do you know who else never did anything in the offseason? Mark Buehrle. He wouldn't even pick up a baseball all winter, but I never heard him classified as lazy. Then he had a bad year where he wore out, so he changed his offseason routine. Same thing with Dunn. For 10 years, he was the best home run hitter in all of baseball without picking up a bat in the offseason. Then 2011 happened, so he realized he had to change his ways as he got older which he did. It's not like he signed that big contract and decided to be lazy, that was his routine every year and it worked pretty damn well.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
I always hoped Baltimore would be interested in Dunn as a DH. Short right field, etc. I don't see anyone else being interested.

Baltimore really doesnt need him now, they have a much better version in Chris Davis

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 10:42 PM)

This screams "I hate Adam Dunn as a person"

Yes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
Baltimore really doesnt need him now, they have a much better version in Chris Davis

They got a .704 OPS out of their DH spot last year. Is Davis moving to DH? That number isn't terrible compared to the rest of the league but it's a place they could find an upgrade if they want to catch the teams ahead of them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 08:24 AM)
They got a .704 OPS out of their DH spot last year. Is Davis moving to DH? That number isn't terrible compared to the rest of the league but it's a place they could find an upgrade if they want to catch the teams ahead of them.

Adam Dunn sported a .655 OPS as a DH last season, so are they upgrading their DH position by bringing in Dunn? He is redundant in thier order, and doesnt make them better.

However, if they want him, by all means.....

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 07:31 AM)
Do you know who else never did anything in the offseason? Mark Buehrle. He wouldn't even pick up a baseball all winter, but I never heard him classified as lazy. Then he had a bad year where he wore out, so he changed his offseason routine. Same thing with Dunn. For 10 years, he was the best home run hitter in all of baseball without picking up a bat in the offseason. Then 2011 happened, so he realized he had to change his ways as he got older which he did. It's not like he signed that big contract and decided to be lazy, that was his routine every year and it worked pretty damn well.

Good point. Adam Dunn gets a lot of criticism, and some of it is warranted due to his performance since signing with the Sox. But he's not lazy, and he's a good clubhouse guy...at least from everything I've heard. Hindsight says don't sign the guy, but oh well. He'll be playing for the Sox in 2014 during the last year of his contract, and he'll most likely hit in the low .200's and crank out 30 HRs or so. If 2014 is indeed a rebuilding year (and with a reported $85 million payroll, that seems likely), you don't trade Dunn and cash for a nobody prospect. You stick it out and start looking for that left-handed bat for 2015 and beyond.

Really the market for Granderson should be the market for Dunn. Both are three outcome players, both play shaky defense, Granderson gives you a better base runner and someone who can play some OF but Dunn gives you more power and gets on base more.

Hahn should call anyone in on Granderson and say that he can provide a better bat, on a cheaper contract, without having to give up a draft pick and try and make a deal. I would like to see the Sox open the DH spot in case Abreu just can't play 1B.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Really the market for Granderson should be the market for Dunn. Both are three outcome players, both play shaky defense, Granderson gives you a better base runner and someone who can play some OF but Dunn gives you more power and gets on base more.

Hahn should call anyone in on Granderson and say that he can provide a better bat, on a cheaper contract, without having to give up a draft pick and try and make a deal. I would like to see the Sox open the DH spot in case Abreu just can't play 1B.

This is more or less the point I was trying to make. We'll see what the market is like, but if Marlon Byrd getting 2/$16M is any indication teams are going to have to seriously overpay for what little bats are available. Adam Dunn for 1 year $10M >>> Marlon Byrd for $8M per year for 2 years.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
This is more or less the point I was trying to make. We'll see what the market is like, but if Marlon Byrd getting 2/$16M is any indication teams are going to have to seriously overpay for what little bats are available. Adam Dunn for 1 year $10M >>> Marlon Byrd for $8M per year for 2 years.

I would rather take a chance on Marlon Byrd. He was really good and one of the 20 best outfielders in the game last year. Adam Dunn is a guy who about half the time will strike out, walk, or homer. The scary thing to me about Dunn is that a lot of his peripherals remained the same or actually improved, and his overall numbers got worse. He offers absolutely nothing defensively. Literally, the only thing you can count on him to do is be a relatively productive hitter against right handed pitching.

Dunn has virtually no value to any other team right now. Just hang on to him and hope to deal him at the deadline.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
I would rather take a chance on Marlon Byrd. He was really good and one of the 20 best outfielders in the game last year. Adam Dunn is a guy who about half the time will strike out, walk, or homer. The scary thing to me about Dunn is that a lot of his peripherals remained the same or actually improved, and his overall numbers got worse. He offers absolutely nothing defensively. Literally, the only thing you can count on him to do is be a relatively productive hitter against right handed pitching.

Dunn has virtually no value to any other team right now. Just hang on to him and hope to deal him at the deadline.

That's not entirely true. If Dunn were in Texas or on the Yankees next year as a #6 hitter, I bet he would walk 80-100 times, hit between 34-40 bombs, and K a ton of times. How is that not worth it? The problem is, Dunn shouldn't be a team's best hitter or primary run producer. What he brings is still very valuable, however. He can still change a baseball game in one swing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
That's not entirely true. If Dunn were in Texas or on the Yankees next year as a #6 hitter, I bet he would walk 80-100 times, hit between 34-40 bombs, and K a ton of times. How is that not worth it? The problem is, Dunn shouldn't be a team's best hitter or primary run producer. What he brings is still very valuable, however. He can still change a baseball game in one swing.

Why do you think this?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)

Because all of that likely results in a .220/.300/.460 line (or something similar) with absolutely nothing defensively. Teams are just as likely to get that production out of a free agent or a minor leaguer for cheaper. They might prefer a left handed slap hitter who can play all around the field to a guy in Dunn who really should not be playing the field at all.

$10 million is very expensive for a guy who is the definition of a 1 dimensional player, regardless of what other guys are earning around the majors. A guy like Marlon Byrd can play a passable CF and is decent to good in the corners while also providing good value on the bases and at the plate. He may not be the player he was last year, but he should still be worth 2+ WAR. Dunn is going to be lucky to be worth 1 WAR.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
Why do you think this?

I think this because he had 79 walks, 34 homers, and 189 K's last year on a god awful team that offered him absolutely zero protection in the lineup. Is he overpaid? Absolutely. Is he much worse than he was when he was younger? Yes. LH power is still important though. Adam Dunn has never been the perfect player and he is way past stretching the value of a true 3 outcome guy's usefulness. But to just dismiss the possibility is crazy. There aren't many guys in baseball that have the chance to hit 40 homers next year. He's one of them.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
I think this because he had 79 walks, 34 homers, and 189 K's last year on a god awful team that offered him absolutely zero protection in the lineup. Is he overpaid? Absolutely. Is he much worse than he was when he was younger? Yes. LH power is still important though. Adam Dunn has never been the perfect player and he is way past stretching the value of a true 3 outcome guy's usefulness. But to just dismiss the possibility is crazy. There aren't many guys in baseball that have the chance to hit 40 homers next year. He's one of them.

There's also only about 1 of them that's going to hit so poorly otherwise that he'll end up with an OPS around .750-.800, which, for a guy whose only job is to hit, is pretty mediocre overall.