Saltalamacchia

Y2Jimmy0

Does anyone think there is real interest between the White Sox and Salty now that the beat writers are covering it? Is it just speculation or do the beat guys know it's something that may go down?

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 31m

Jarrod Saltalamacchia and the #WhiteSox appear to be a good fit for each other. Here are a few reasons why. http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/saltal...e-fit-white-sox.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
If Merkin or Hayes are saying it, then there's probably something there.

I'm not a huge Salty fan, but the Sox really have nothing at catcher. If they can get him for 3 years, and have a healthier Flowers back him up, the Sox would be in a better place.

They appear hellbent on getting a LH hitter via FA. Salty or Granderson whichever one is cheaper. Probably Salty.

I think the team and the team-related press benefits by the Sox having interest in free agents. We may or may not try to sign Salty, but either way you want articles like this so that fans are constantly checking for more news and thinking about the White Sox during free agency.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
I think the team and the team-related press benefits by the Sox having interest in free agents. We may or may not try to sign Salty, but either way you want articles like this so that fans are constantly checking for more news and thinking about the White Sox during free agency.

Pretty much. November is a good month to just ignore the rumors because it's all posturing and propaganda before the Winter Meetings. 4 weeks until then.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)

It is absolutely about hit count.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Pretty much. November is a good month to just ignore the rumors because it's all posturing and propaganda before the Winter Meetings. 4 weeks until then.

This is usually the case, but Sox have made deals at GM meetings before. I believe that Freddy for Floyd/Gio deal was a GM meetings deal.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
I disagree. The Yankees, BoSox, Rangers, White Sox and Phillies and I am sure a couple of other teams will be in the market for catcher. For argument sake...

Rangers get McCann.

BoSox resign Salty.

Then you have the Yankees, Phils and our Sox battling out for Ruiz and AJP. I think ultimately AJP ends up in NY and the Sox get their catcher via the trade market.

AJP has a few things in his favor, he hits left-handed, he's incredibly consistent and he doesn't need more than a year contract.

Is the plan for Soto to be the full-time catcher in Texas next year (they re-signed him for around $3 million)...?

I still think catcher is one of the three positions the Tigers will look to upgrade (Avila), along with 2B (Infante) and they have to find a DH to replace Martinez.

AJ would make sense for the Tigers as well, in that he could split time with Avila and DH the rest of the time (yes, I realize they're both LH).

I'm assuming Castellanos is their starting LFer next season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
I think Sox will bring AJ back.

It is my hope they do bring AJ back. He is a motivator and a pro. Plus he is the LH bat. He can also bring along Phegley and Flowers, even though I am not sure if they will be of the caliber starting catcher we expect. I think we made a mistake in not keeping AJ last year. People might say the money wasn't there, but this year it should be. Now will management admit they were wrong in letting him walk and/or will AJ want to return?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
It is my hope they do bring AJ back. He is a motivator and a pro. Plus he is the LH bat. He can also bring along Phegley and Flowers, even though I am not sure if they will be of the caliber starting catcher we expect. I think we made a mistake in not keeping AJ last year. People might say the money wasn't there, but this year it should be. Now will management admit they were wrong in letting him walk and/or will AJ want to return?

barf

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
I disagree. The Yankees, BoSox, Rangers, White Sox and Phillies and I am sure a couple of other teams will be in the market for catcher. For argument sake...

Rangers get McCann.

BoSox resign Salty.

Then you have the Yankees, Phils and our Sox battling out for Ruiz and AJP. I think ultimately AJP ends up in NY and the Sox get their catcher via the trade market.

AJP has a few things in his favor, he hits left-handed, he's incredibly consistent and he doesn't need more than a year contract.

There are teams that might need catchers. That doesn't mean they will want AJ.

Bringing back AJ is a step in the wrong direction.

If they were close to being competitive and had a solid offense already, you could at least think about it...but not in the situation they find themselves in right now.

It's the same reason the Cubs would be a little crazy to sign Ellsbury or Choo. Tanaka at least makes a bit more sense because you're always going to need quality starting pitching to build around.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
Bringing back AJ is a step in the wrong direction.

If they were close to being competitive and had a solid offense already, you could at least think about it...but not in the situation they find themselves in right now.

It's the same reason the Cubs would be a little crazy to sign Ellsbury or Choo. Tanaka at least makes a bit more sense because you're always going to need quality starting pitching to build around.

I don't follow your reasoning. Why would some other catcher be the answer to our turning things around? We were pretty successful with AJP behind the plate

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
I don't follow your reasoning. Why would some other catcher be the answer to our turning things around? We were pretty successful with AJP behind the plate

Because our team is bad and AJ is old. Bad teams need players to be young so that they will be good for several yeasrs, forming a semi-permanent foundation to which the team can add and develop other players.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 11, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)

If the money's under $5 million for one year, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

However, it just kicks the catching decision one year down the line, but it also gets in the way of developing Flowers/Phegley (if that is actually in the cards at this point).

Maybe they could just trade him at the deadline and play Flowers/Phegley in the second half, but how does that help solve anything for 2015?

As it is, we're already kicking permanent solutions at 3B, SS, 2B and CF down the line (into 2015). There's a decent possibility Viciedo isn't part of the future as well.

They're going to have to decide about Semien (75%)/Sanchez (25%)/Micah Johnson (50/50), too, if any of those guys are meant to be everyday players at the big league level.

We're also going to need a new DH to replace Dunn.

Assuming Abreu and A. Garcia are solid next year, we still might end up replacing 7 positions going into the following season...so, unless there's a catcher in our system ready to explode on the scene, we're going to have to trade from our pitching depth to solve these issues or pay top dollar on the FA market.

Edited by caulfield12