Saltalamacchia

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 07:18 AM)
Hahn has always been our designated Boras whisperer. Dayan is represented by Boras, FWIW

Iirc Dayan's contract was negotiated by a different agent, and Dayan left that agency for Boras.

Only a few Sox players have been Boras clients, Crede and Uribe being the ones that stick out

It should be noted, it was specifically stated during the Abreu signing news that the Sox were able to do that in part because of the 2013 mid-year trades they made. That makes me think the signing bonus may have come from that budgeted money. So I am not sure that $10M is part of that $85M number, and in fact I'd say it is likely not.

Here is what I show for the payroll right now:

UNDER CONTRACT 2014:

Dunn 15

Danks 14.25

Ramirez 9.5

Abreu 7

Keppinger 4

Lindstrom 4 (I believe they took his option, yes?)

Sale 3.5

...TOTAL: 57.25

ARB ELIGIBLE:

Viciedo

Beckham

De Aza

Flowers

...ESTIMATED TOTAL: 12 (if all are signed)

ALL ELSE:

Assuming all above are signed and kept, need to fill 14 slots at near league minimum, that makes about $8M

...ESTIMATED TOTAL: 8

--That makes the total payroll as it looks today to be 77.25M. That leaves 8M of headroom, and that is assuming they go for ALL those arb eligible guys, and don't trade anyone.

Why are people panicking? What am I missing here?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:16 AM)

UNDER CONTRACT 2014:

Dunn 15

Danks 14.25

Ramirez 9.5

Abreu 7

Keppinger 4

Sale 3.5

...TOTAL: 47.25

You're missing that this is incorrect based on your numbers. That comes to $57.25, not 47.25.

Thus, the $18 million you projected is actually only $8 million.

And if you count Abreu's ~$10 million signing bonus, it becomes -$2 million. Hence the panic.

Ha! Did my math wrong. Just corrected it.

Still, 8M left if they go to arb with all four, AND don't trade anyone - which I doubt they do. I'd be surprised if they didn't cut a few million or more somewhere, which puts 10M+ in play. That is enough to go get Salty, in theory.

But I also don't see them making any significant moves beyond that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
It should be noted, it was specifically stated during the Abreu signing news that the Sox were able to do that in part because of the 2013 mid-year trades they made. That makes me think the signing bonus may have come from that budgeted money. So I am not sure that $10M is part of that $85M number, and in fact I'd say it is likely not.

UNDER CONTRACT 2014:

Dunn 15

Danks 14.25

Ramirez 9.5

Abreu 7

Keppinger 4

Sale 3.5

ARB ELIGIBLE:

Viciedo

Beckham

De Aza

Flowers

ALL ELSE:

Assuming all above are signed and kept, need to fill 14 slots at near league minimum, that makes about $8M

--That makes the total payroll as it looks today to be 77.25M. That leaves 8M of headroom, and that is assuming they go for ALL those arb eligible guys, and don't trade anyone.

I don't think those four arb guys are going to average $4m each, are they? There's no way Flowers is going to be there, and I don't think Viciedo will either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
Boston isn't exactly a pitcher's paradise.

Depends on how many of them are hit to RF down the line versus the area in RCF where it really juts back out...you have that Pesky Pole, what is it, like 308-309 or 314?

Obviously, the Green Monster saves a lot of homers and doubles and turns them into singles...but, just like old Tiger Stadium, you can hit a fly ball/pop up over the wall and it would be an easy out at Safeco or in Minnesota, for example.

I'd love to see the hit chart for where most of his doubles were hit....were they pulled down the line, to RCF or to the opposite gap or down the 3B line?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
Depends on how many of them are hit to RF down the line versus the area in RCF where it really juts back out...you have that Pesky Pole, what is it, like 308-309 or 314?

Obviously, the Green Monster saves a lot of homers and doubles and turns them into singles...but, just like old Tiger Stadium, you can hit a fly ball/pop up over the wall and it would be an easy out at Safeco or in Minnesota, for example.

I'd love to see the hit chart for where most of his doubles were hit....were they pulled down the line, to RCF or to the opposite gap or down the 3B line?

Salty's doubles were pretty much split evenly at home and on the road. He hit 9 homers at home, 5 on the road. He also had a .372 BABIP. I doubt he can sustain that. He is in for a letdown offensively.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)

Pesky's pole is marked 302, but people say it's really quite a bit shorter than that. Pesky himself said it was 295.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)

UNDER CONTRACT 2014:

Dunn 15

Danks 14.25

Ramirez 9.5

Abreu 7

Keppinger 4

Sale 3.5

ARB ELIGIBLE:

Viciedo

Beckham

De Aza

Flowers

ALL ELSE:

Accounting tricks.

Because it sounds like the team is now claiming money is being spent in areas that were never counted before...can we get all the money back from the last 20-30 years of NOT spending it on the draft or international free agents?

Of course, if the White Sox announced that payroll was down XX% to a number below $80 million, it would seem to the casual Sox fan that they weren't trying to compete at all.

If they can announce a number like $85 million, it sounds a lot more reasonable.

I mean....what next, they're going to include all the insurance clauses for each of the contracts to artificially inflate the numbers?

It just sounds like an excuse not to spend any more money. If that's the plan, then they should just be honest and say we feel comfortable rolling into the season with a $75-80 million payroll because the free agents that would be capable of making an impact in 2016-17 are just too expensive at the present moment....and we need to let this season play out and let our minor league prospects develop for one more season (and perhaps two, as in the Cubs' example) before we pull the trigger on those "put you over the top" FA acquisitions. So we're just saving/reallocating money for the time being into more fruitful line items, like international free agents that don't cost draft picks and the June amateur draft.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
I don't think those four arb guys are going to average $4m each, are they? There's no way Flowers is going to be there, and I don't think Viciedo will either.

I think that is a worst case, probably. A couple million less is good though, adds more headroom.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
Ha! Did my math wrong. Just corrected it.

Still, 8M left if they go to arb with all four, AND don't trade anyone - which I doubt they do. I'd be surprised if they didn't cut a few million or more somewhere, which puts 10M+ in play. That is enough to go get Salty, in theory.

But I also don't see them making any significant moves beyond that.

There is no reason to panic and no reason to think we really have any idea exactly what they can and will spend in 2014. Why would Hahn throw out a number that can't be changed? Saying you have room to take on money doesn't help you negotiating in trades or free agency.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
I don't think Dayan is allowed to make less money than he did before in arbitration, so he will earn more than the average arb. player with a track record like his

I think they can give him a 20% cut. Depending on what his number is, the arbitrator then looks at both numbers and decides which is closer to his worth and they win if it goes that far.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/print...ws&c_id=cws

Flowers confident heading into 2014....

I have no doubt Flowers could one year put up a Brent Lillibridge 2011 offensive line, and just like when Lillibridge did it, some will think he turned a corner, but reality then sets in. IMO he is a back up.

Edited by Dick Allen

I know its not about Salty but...

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 20m

I have confirmed that #Rockies offered two-year deal with option to Ruiz...Offer came last night...Rockies offer was not for $20 million

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 36m

#Rockies are willing to go two years on Ruiz...But if he's already at two-years, $20 Million from someone else, Rockies are longshot

https://twitter.com/TroyRenck

Someone offered Carlos Ruiz 2 for 20

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
I know its not about Salty but...

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 20m

I have confirmed that #Rockies offered two-year deal with option to Ruiz...Offer came last night...Rockies offer was not for $20 million

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 36m

#Rockies are willing to go two years on Ruiz...But if he's already at two-years, $20 Million from someone else, Rockies are longshot

https://twitter.com/TroyRenck

Someone offered Carlos Ruiz 2 for 20

So hopefully everyone understands why the Sox aren't free agent shopping.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
So hopefully everyone understands why the Sox aren't free agent shopping.

We arent? Who said? I have a feeling that nobody actually said this and its just people trying to add up how much money we have to spend on a guesstimated figure.

Edited by Baron