Interviewing Dan Black

NorthSideSox72

Looking to put together some offseason content, we are probably going to interview 1B Dan Black. He's an interesting case, in that he's at very best a fringe guy, and probably not even that. But, he seems to be a popular guy among people watching the system, he consistently puts up big numbers, and we've had other players mention him as a fun guy (and therefore might be a fun interview).

So... what questions would you want to ask Dan? We're taking suggestions. Fire away. Keep in mind though, since he is down in Venezeula at the moment, we may have to do this via email with him (we usually do interview by phone or in person, just not sure it will work in this case).

I love this guy I saw him play in NJ when he was with Kanny several times, love his size, numbers, and if I recall correctly he's a funny guy (once saw him reading a book in between a double header, also saw him throw peanuts at teammates to celebrate a GW homer from his teammate Blanke), feel free to question this, unfortunately I haven't seen him since then, thanks a lot, lookin forward to this interview

Does he expect to be with Charlotte in 2014? When will he be exposed to the draft, since he's had five years in Sox system. Just wonder what he thinks about Sox being the right organization for him.......

What reaction did he have when Sox signed Abreu, since they play same position? I know the answer is obvious, but he might have some interesting comments.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
Does he expect to be with Charlotte in 2014? When will he be exposed to the draft, since he's had five years in Sox system. Just wonder what he thinks about Sox being the right organization for him.......

What reaction did he have when Sox signed Abreu, since they play same position? I know the answer is obvious, but he might have some interesting comments.

As far as the Rule V draft, he's got 5 years in the minors (drafted in 2009), so he is exposed to the Rule V now. He is exposed to both the AAA/MLB and AA/AAA portions. A team could theoretically take him in the MLB portion, but I think the chances of that are basically zero. A team MIGHT take a AA/AAA flyer on him though (they'd have to pay 50k, keep him in AAA all season, or else return him for 25k), in fact he's among only a few players that I think have some risk. But even then the risk is fairly low.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
As far as the Rule V draft, he's got 5 years in the minors (drafted in 2009), so he is exposed to the Rule V now. He is exposed to both the AAA/MLB and AA/AAA portions. A team could theoretically take him in the MLB portion, but I think the chances of that are basically zero. A team MIGHT take a AA/AAA flyer on him though (they'd have to pay 50k, keep him in AAA all season, or else return him for 25k), in fact he's among only a few players that I think have some risk. But even then the risk is fairly low.

Thanks for the draft explanation. Looking back on his career stats, I don't see why Sox kept him at Bristol in his second year (2010). He has hit every year as he moved up the ladder, and his biggest flaw per SoxTalk is that he is always too old for his league. 2010 was a wasted year for him.

It seems there are always a few guys like Dan in the system - players who consistently perform well at each level, but for reasons we just don't know, they are kept from being challenged at higher levels more appropriate to their age. Sometimes they are blocked, sometimes their tools just aren't seen by Sox scouts as translating, sometimes it could even be non-playing issues (personality conflicts). I don't know what the story is in Dan's case.

I personally would like to see players like that challenged, whenever possible. If they are dominating their level, then push them off the fence - if they succeed even when being aggressive, hey, maybe you found a diamond in the rough. If not, which is mostly likely, then no loss - now you know.

This said with the caveat that you don't promote them at the expense of high level prospects of course.