2014 AL Central catch-all thread

LittleHurt05

http://www.freep.com/article/20140619/COL0...tink-drew-sharp

These Tigers stink!

Ausmus might want to lay off the wife-beating jokes, however. This last month must be getting to him a bit...he says if you make radical line-up changes, you lose the respect of your team, but it's hard for him to earn their respect as well when he's a first-year manager and hasn't been through this kind of situation where expectations are sky-high. Having been through it as a player is not the same thing as knowing how to right the ship as a manager.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a case of a team that expected to win the division by just showing up. They don't have a manager to get them through this and have them prepared like Leyland did.

I think they still end up winning the division though.

Miguel Cabrera just got schooled by Aoki and Escobar.

He was only a couple of steps off 2nd base on a flyout and got doubled off due to laziness.

Wow.

JD Martinez follows up with an opposite field homer, saved a run there as the Tigers just took a 2-1 lead in a huge game for both teams, especially the Tigers for their psyche.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
Verlander had surgery in the offseason maybe he is not fully healthy yet.

I think Verlander will be fine he never got to workout all winter and next season he will be better. It is just one of those years.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 12:42 PM)
I think Verlander will be fine he never got to workout all winter and next season he will be better. It is just one of those years.

Did they ever specify exactly what "core muscle surgery" entailed with him?

It could be like the Adam Dunn appendicitis thing back in 2011...throwing him off physically or mentally. His average fastball's all the way down to 92.5, but in recent starts he's consistently been 94-96 but still getting lit up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
Miguel Cabrera just got schooled by Aoki and Escobar.

He was only a couple of steps off 2nd base on a flyout and got doubled off due to laziness.

Wow.

JD Martinez follows up with an opposite field homer, saved a run there as the Tigers just took a 2-1 lead in a huge game for both teams, especially the Tigers for their psyche.

so jealous of the royals outfield, defensively, they just catch everything lol another sliding catch for aoki.

Edited by Melissa1334

Royals finally lose, Nathan with a shutdown 9th, 3 consecutive K's of Butler/Perez/Cain. Huge swing between 2 1/2 games and 1/2 game division lead, Sanchez doesn't have his best stuff, doesn't even manage a strikeout, but still guts out the win. Probably the ace of that staff at the moment, and the stopper.

Miracle finish for the Indians (always seem to have that home field advantage in CLE despite putrid attendance). after giving up the lead in extras, they get a Nick Swisher grand slam for the walk-off win over Frieri and the Angels.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Royals finally lose, Nathan with a shutdown 9th, 3 consecutive K's of Butler/Perez/Cain. Huge swing between 2 1/2 games and 1/2 game division lead, Sanchez doesn't have his best stuff, doesn't even manage a strikeout, but still guts out the win. Probably the ace of that staff at the moment, and the stopper.

Miracle finish for the Indians (always seem to have that home field advantage in CLE despite putrid attendance). after giving up the lead in extras, they get a Nick Swisher grand slam for the walk-off win over Frieri and the Angels.

Royals fans got real excited and ready to print playoff tickets but the tigers are still winning the division . I don't think(even though they've been good lately) the royals have enough offense, don't like hosmer/butler 3-4, they need a big bat

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
Royals fans got real excited and ready to print playoff tickets but the tigers are still winning the division . I don't think(even though they've been good lately) the royals have enough offense, don't like hosmer/butler 3-4, they need a big bat

I have faith in the Royals... collapsing down the stretch just like always.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
I have faith in the Royals... collapsing down the stretch just like always.

2013 Royals

First 52 games - 22-30 (.423 WP%)

Final 110 games - 64-46 (.581 WP%)

In a weaker Central division, I could easily see them winning the division.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
Joe Nathan notched a win last night because he gave up a run in the ninth to blow the save.

5th blown save.

That said, it was his 3rd game in a row, his pitch count reached 30+, he's almost 40 years old now and he's two seasons removed from TJ surgery. And it took three consecutive two-out hits with full counts.

Some dude named Hardy (not JJ) really saved the Tigers in the 8th. The Indians had a runner on 2nd, no outs and 3 chances to tie with the heart of their order coming up and couldn't get it done to tie the game at that point.

They also had a sellout/standing-room-only crowd of 41,000+ for Omar Vizquel/Indians Hall of Fame night.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
They also had a sellout/standing-room-only crowd of 41,000+ for Omar Vizquel/Indians Hall of Fame night.

41 K at one game, thats about a weeks worth of home games for the Tribe!

I keep being surprised looking at the standings everyday because the moribund Twins and Sox are always a handful of games out of first place.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 07:44 PM)
JD Martinez has been an incredible find for the Tigers this year. Hopefully it's just a short hot streak and not a career rejuvenation like with Jose Bautista.

Steve Pearce on the orioles is also having a similar , unexpected year