2014 AL Central catch-all thread

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Confidence has very little to do with it. Victor Martinez being less than super human or even not there next year, Miguel Cabrera being a year older, and perhaps most importantly Scherzer being gone are their worries for next year. On top of that, Nathan and Hunter are free agents and are quite old.

Just to stay treading water will cost that team like $40 million+ next offseason. JD Martinez helps them a ton, Castellanos playing well in his 2nd year would help, but that is an old, expensive team with just about as many needs as us.

Imagine where they would be if they weren't lucky enough to find a trade partner for Prince or if the Astros hadn't given up on JD Martinez.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
Imagine where they would be if they weren't lucky enough to find a trade partner for Prince or if the Astros hadn't given up on JD Martinez.

Or if Victor Martinez hadn't suddenly turned into the best hitter in the big leagues at age 35.

They were really close to missing the playoffs this year. Really were. That's an expensive, flawed team right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Confidence has very little to do with it. Victor Martinez being less than super human or even not there next year, Miguel Cabrera being a year older, and perhaps most importantly Scherzer being gone are their worries for next year. On top of that, Nathan and Hunter are free agents and are quite old.

Since nobody corrected this: Nathan is under contract for $10M next year. Doesn't really change the point of what you said, maybe even amplifies it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:04 AM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)
Or if Victor Martinez hadn't suddenly turned into the best hitter in the big leagues at age 35.

They were really close to missing the playoffs this year. Really were. That's an expensive, flawed team right now.

They are such a big regression candidate next year. They could win 75 to 80 games next year, and it wouldn't shock me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
They are such a big regression candidate next year. They could win 75 to 80 games next year, and it wouldn't shock me.

They could also spend $50 million+ this offseason and still have a good shot at the AL Central.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
We need a good middle of the order hitter, 2 good relievers, and a good right handed starter if we want to contend.

2 hitters. Someone to cover DH and someone to cover a corner OF slot.

And even then, that leaves a whole lot of risky holes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 04:56 PM)
2 hitters. Someone to cover DH and someone to cover a corner OF slot.

And even then, that leaves a whole lot of risky holes.

If we assume Flowers starts next year, we need a corner OFer and a DH. Maybe a 3B.

Here's some guys we can look at through free agency:

DH/1B/3B

Billy Butler (he has a team option at 12.5 MM)

Mike Morse

Adam Lind (team option)

Adam LaRoche (mutual option)

Hanley Ramirez

Pablo Sandoval

Chase Headley

Nelson Cruz

Victor Martinez

OF

Nelson Cruz

Melky Cabrera

Josh Willingham

Colby Rasmus

Michael Cuddyer

Alex Rios

Torii Hunter

Nothing really sticks out at me as someone we must go after. I really don't want to spend the money on V-Mart, but he's clearly the best hitter in here. Cruz's year was very up and down and I feel like he's truly a .350 wOBA hitter. While good, it ain't that much better than Adam Dunn and you don't want to play him in the OF. He's going to get overpaid just like Martinez. I'm not sure how much money Hanley will get, but he wouldn't be a bad short-term signing for around $15 million a year. It'd be a gamble, but I'd rather give him that money than Martinez.

I like the idea of Adam Lind since he's left-handed and should be pretty cheap, but I think Toronto will bring him back at $7.5 million. Sandoval is a decent option and he should be a decent hitter moving from SF to the Cell. He also plays 3B. I doubt SF will let him walk though. I feel like there's no sure bets in FA this year in terms of hitters, so we're gonna have to trade for someone.

Torii Hunter is old (39), a former White Sox killer, in other words it makes sense to bring him in on a one-year, 4 million dollar deal with a team option for a second year at 4.5 million.

He can't be any worse than Viciedo and he might be the coach/player we need for the outfield and for the other positions that require good defense. Hunter might be this team's Jermaine Dye, so to speak.

I'd go for bringing in Butler and Hunter. You can get both cheap and they fill two holes. Keep Viciedo around to learn under consummate pro Hunter. Viciedo can even steal 200 of Torii's at bats. There are worse outfields around than Hunter (lf), Eaton (cf), A. Garcia (rf) with Viciedo the fourth outfielder (learning under Torii how to play baseball).

Then sign a starter and you fill a lot of holes at about 20-25 million on the payroll. I still haven't addressed the bullpen. Maybe a trade of prospects to get one stud reliever and sign a journeyman for another.

GO SOX!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 05:12 PM)
Torii Hunter is old (39), a former White Sox killer, in other words it makes sense to bring him in on a one-year, 4 million dollar deal with a team option for a second year at 4.5 million.

He can't be any worse than Viciedo and he might be the coach/player we need for the outfield and for the other positions that require good defense. Hunter might be this team's Jermaine Dye, so to speak.

I'd go for bringing in Butler and Hunter. You can get both cheap and they fill two holes. Keep Viciedo around to learn under consummate pro Hunter. Viciedo can even steal 200 of Torii's at bats. There are worse outfields around than Hunter (lf), Eaton (cf), A. Garcia (rf) with Viciedo the fourth outfielder (learning under Torii how to play baseball).

Then sign a starter and you fill a lot of holes at about 20-25 million on the payroll. I still haven't addressed the bullpen. Maybe a trade of prospects to get one stud reliever and sign a journeyman for another.

GO SOX!

Hunter hasn't even been an average outfielder for five seasons now.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Morse would be a reclaim special. He had an off year this year. He can play some 1B and DH. Unfortunately, his OF days are behind him.

Not really. He hit .279/.336/.475 in a very pitcher-friendly park. I'd be fine with him as a DH.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)

Jermaine Dye signed with the White Sox for his age 31 season. He is also only one year older than Torii Hunter. If anything, signing Torii Hunter at this point is comparable to bringing in Harold Baines at the end of his career except that Harold Baines was a better hitter. Guys at Hunter's age typically fall off very quickly. He should not be an option for the White Sox at this point.

GO SOX!

At the end of the day, I'm just glad the Rick Hahn is the GM.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Morse would be a reclaim special. He had an off year this year. He can play some 1B and DH. Unfortunately, his OF days are behind him.

Michael Morse's season numbers couldn't have been any closer to his career averages.

2014: .279/.336/.475/ .355 wOBA

Career: .281/.335/.473 .351 wOBA

His wRC+ was actually significantly higher this year (133 vs 122 career) partly because of the park he played in. Frankly, it was a really good year for Morse and he simply got hurt down the stretch.

He is a bad defender though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
Michael Morse's season numbers couldn't have been any closer to his career averages.

His wRC+ was actually significantly higher this year (133 vs 122 career) partly because of the park he played in. Frankly, it was a really good year for Morse and he simply got hurt down the stretch.

Which is to be expected with Morse

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
"if he were left-handed maybe..."

His splits were nearly identical last year. He hit for more power off lefties, but had a batting average 50 points higher off righties.

That's been the case throughout his entire career.

Morse, if healthy, wouldn't be a bad budget add. You can stick him 5th or 6th and expect decent production.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
I like Morse. I just think the Sox are not going to plug up the LF spot with a guy who can't field and hits right-handed. Now if the Sox could satisfy the left-handed need in LF and then bring in Morse to DH I would be more inclined the buy into it.

Yeah, I wouldn't want him in the OF either. I like him as a DH candidate.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Jermaine Dye signed with the White Sox for his age 31 season. He is also only one year older than Torii Hunter. If anything, signing Torii Hunter at this point is comparable to bringing in Harold Baines at the end of his career except that Harold Baines was a better hitter. Guys at Hunter's age typically fall off very quickly. He should not be an option for the White Sox at this point.

At the end of the day, I'm just glad the Rick Hahn is the GM.

Which is why we need to stop talking all a bout this mighty wRC and factor in defense. A metric the Sox absolutely suck in. Now in your defense you are presumably talking about Morse as an option for DH, which is fine, but he isn't left handed and well quite frankly, he sucks defensively. When it comes to position players we need to be finding some guys who can catch the ball and hit (at least one of them) and then we can focus on potential platoon options at DH but it would be nice if they were capable positional players as well.