Jaso an offseason target

macsandz

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
A trade works too and I missed if I failed to include that this time.

Basically my perspective is this. If the scouts say the Sox have a remote chance of having a long-term option in Phlowgley, then maybe you look for a LH hitting backup and go with 1 of them as the starter. If they say you're screwed if you count on these people, then you need to come away with a long-term option somewhere and get working on them.

If you've got a trade that works, great, do it.

The only thing I don't want to see is a 1 year stopgap starter that actually costs money. $500k is ok, but anything more than that is completely backwards and the opposite of everything we should be doing.

I think we're pretty similiar in our thinking except for the bolded part. You're not going to get much of anything for that price. I think a veteran LH at catcher is necessary and a platoon isnt backwards or the opposite of everything we should be doing just the reality of catching these days.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
I think we're pretty similiar in our thinking except for the bolded part. You're not going to get much of anything for that price. I think a veteran LH at catcher is necessary and a platoon isnt backwards or the opposite of everything we should be doing just the reality of catching these days.

I'm fine with that and I'd pay more for a veteran backup who hits LH.

I just absolutely don't want a guy like AJ who figures to get 500 PA's and costs $5 million. Either fix it long term via FA, fix it long term via trade, or play the kids and see what they can do.

Having a catching tandem of Flowers and Phegley is the absolute worst option. It would not only show that they are indeed punting the 2014 season, but would show they have no pride in the product they put on the field or respect for the fans who pay to see major league baseball.

Bringing back AJ at this point would not be high on my list of options but would be a last resort. Going into the season with Flowers/Phegley as the two catchers on the major league roster wouldn't even be an option.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 06:39 PM)
Having a catching tandem of Flowers and Phegley is the absolute worst option. It would not only show that they are indeed punting the 2014 season, but would show they have no pride in the product they put on the field or respect for the fans who pay to see major league baseball.

Bringing back AJ at this point would not be high on my list of options but would be a last resort. Going into the season with Flowers/Phegley as the two catchers on the major league roster wouldn't even be an option.

Over his first 765 career PAs, Jonathan Lucroy put up splits of .260/.307/.366/.674, including .253/.300/.329/.628 over his first 75 games. He's been among the league's best offensive catchers since that point, puttnig up splits of .295/.350/.477/.827.

If the Sox go into next season with Flowers and Phegley, it shows that they are committed to the future and that they want to give their young guys another chance for one of them to separate themselves. Neither have them have much experience at the MLB level starting, especially Phegley, and that was the most he played in his entire career. He was probably a bit worn down by the end.

I could honestly care less what the White Sox do with the catcher's spot because no matter what, it should be vastly improved next season.

Anybody who wants Salty is crazy. Last year was the only year of his career that he showed the ability to hit what so ever in the big leagues. 470 AB's of above average hitting is not worth $40+ million. Pass on him, let someone else overspend.

There's no need to throw $ around at a C who will only be around for a year and doesn't change the fact that the team isn't a playoff contender either. Stopgap and rebuild just do not go together, regardless of how long or short of a rebuilding process it is.

The book on Flowers is the same as when he was acquired - improved defense, immense power, but doesn't make enough contact to make that power count. The book on Phegley out of college is that his bat would play, but there were questions whether or not he would ever be adequate defensively to play C in the majors. I think Phegley can still be a productive C in the league and that as R he has a lot thrown at him trying to learn to call games against a whole new group of players. I would take a chance on a platoon partner for Phegley to take some of the pressure off for this season and let him get more acclimated. I think Flowers is what he is, a backup with good pop, Phegley has a chance to be an average C, which is really all we need from that spot now.