Dollar Shave Club

Texsox

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
The one dollar razors seem terrible for someone who shaves often.

5 blades for a $1 plus shipping. I went with the four blade model at $6 a month. That's less than what I was paying.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
5 blades for a $1 plus shipping. I went with the four blade model at $6 a month. That's less than what I was paying.

That's what I went with. I have never used a two blade razor and I don't think it would end well if I did. I don't really spend 6 bucks a month on shaving, but I also really overuse the s***ty disposables I get. I think my face will benefit from using fresh razors more often. With this thing, I can literally change cartridges every week. Sweet!

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
I looked at that. Does shaving take longer?

It does at first, because of how damn sharp they are. And when I mean sharp, I mean actually for really real razor sharp. By comparison, other "razor blades" shouldn't be called razor anythings, because they're dull and tend to pull hair vs slicing through it like butter.

It's so sharp, that you can put the razor against your cheek and allow the weight of the razor itself to shave you...as a matter of fact, pressing down is how you cut your face off. :)

Now that I've been doing it for a few years it's about the same.

The reason I actually tried these was because traditional disposables and electrics gave me severe burn/bumps. I have sensitive skin on my face/neck, and this solved that problem for me.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
It does at first, because of how damn sharp they are. And when I mean sharp, I mean actually for really real razor sharp. By comparison, other "razor blades" shouldn't be called razor anythings, because they're dull and tend to pull hair vs slicing through it like butter.

It's so sharp, that you can put the razor against your cheek and allow the weight of the razor itself to shave you...as a matter of fact, pressing down is how you cut your face off. :)

The reason I actually tried these was because traditional disposables and electrics gave me severe burn/bumps. I have sensitive skin on my face/neck, and this solved that problem for me.

I am going to have to look into this

I read a couple web sites about using those and they all seem to create this fifteen minute ritual using the old fashion brush and shave soap. It looked cool, but no way I was going to take that long shaving each morning. The economics and coolness factor are compelling.

I did once use a straight razor. That was an adventure in pain. LOL

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
I read a couple web sites about using those and they all seem to create this fifteen minute ritual using the old fashion brush and shave soap. It looked cool, but no way I was going to take that long shaving each morning. The economics and coolness factor are compelling.

I did once use a straight razor. That was an adventure in pain. LOL

It takes some practice in order to get fast -- if you try to be fast when you first start learning this, you'll cut yourself, guaranteed.

While the economics is a huge deal, since it hardly costs me anything anymore, the fact it cures razor burn for us sensitive skinned people is the deciding factor to me.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 09:30 AM)
OK, the blades I currently use (Mach 3) run me roughly $2/blade. The two comparable blades from Dollar Shave Club are $1.50/blade and $2.25/blade, so I don't get what the big deal is.

Where are you finding them for $2 a blade? I usually don't see them much less than between $20 - $25 for an 8 pack.

Where are you finding them for $2 a blade? I usually don't see them much less than between $20 - $25 for an 8 pack.

Sam's Club has Mach 3 (not Mach 3 Turbo) for $37.99 for a 20 pack. With tax it's right about $40.

I also generally go through 5-6 a month instead of 4, which is what joining the club would force me to do. If $4/month extra is what makes my shave a bit quicker and more comfortable, I'm willing to pay it. I'm cheap, but not that cheap.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)

I've been doing this for a couple of years, too. Sliced my cheek a bit once or twice, but otherwise much preferred over the cheap disposables I was using.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 10:03 PM)
I've never shaved with a razor before, not even once. I have only used electric shavers.

I tried a razor for the first time a couple years ago after over a decade of electric. I'll never go back.