Chase Headley

GREEDY

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
They can want Quintana all they want, but I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell the Sox would give him up for one year of Headley. I would love to see Headley on this team, but if they're giving up anything significant I would like to see one of those 24 hours to extend him contigency type deals.

He's worth vastly more to a team like say, the Red Sox, who are weak at 3b and have a team ready to compete right now, than he is to the White Sox. Just as an example.

Although the White Sox are obviously not going to want to give up a Quintana-type player, something like that is his value to a team which wants to compete right now. Maybe a little lower in the system perhaps, but still.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
I think they'd want something like Semien and Reed/Jones.

I'd try something like Reed/Sanchez+

They would want way more than Semien and a reliever. They surely aren't going to take Reed and Sanchez.

To acquire Headley, you are talking about trading a guy like Avisail or Quintana. You may be able to work it out around Santiago, but you're probably including a couple of other prospects that you don't want to as well.

I really like Headley, and he'd make the team a lot better, but you could theoretically be talking about taking the Sox from a 72 win team to a 78 win team. The value of those wins is somewhat detrimental. I'd rather they give young guys chances at 3B right now, especially given that the Sox have a couple guys who can play that position right now.

QUOTE (professa @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
Possibly, but their rotation seems pretty set, with a few quality guys battling for the last spot in the rotation. If I were them, I'd ask us for something to the tune of Avi Garcia, Beckham, Erik Johnson, + specs for Headley and Logan Forsythe. Just as a starting pt. I know they're looking for a huge haul. I wouldn't do a deal for him unless a contract extension was in place. The only way I'd send Q is if we got Cory Luebke back.

That would get you hung up on.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
They would want way more than Semien and a reliever. They surely aren't going to take Reed and Sanchez.

To acquire Headley, you are talking about trading a guy like Avisail or Quintana. You may be able to work it out around Santiago, but you're probably including a couple of other prospects that you don't want to as well.

I really like Headley, and he'd make the team a lot better, but you could theoretically be talking about taking the Sox from a 72 win team to a 78 win team. The value of those wins is somewhat detrimental. I'd rather they give young guys chances at 3B right now, especially given that the Sox have a couple guys who can play that position right now.

Beckham can play 3rd. Beckham would hit NL pitching better. Beckham has a decent contract.

QUOTE (midway @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
On MLBtraderumors.com the Padres were said to be looking for a LH bat/ and or a reliever. What would the Sox send them? When I 1st saw that I damn near jumped out my seat praying they would take Dunn...I know, it's just a dream!!!

If they want a LH bat, the White Sox have nothing to send them. We don't have any LH hitting talent at the minor league levels. Adam Dunn is a negative value player. De Aza is the only LH hitting bat we have of any sort.

FWIW, I think the media overstates Headley's value at this point. The reality is that it was super high after his 2012 in a market starved for 3B talent, but a down year later, Headley looks like a less productive player with just a year left until FA.

His price, of course, will come down to how many teams are bidding. I think the WS could put a package together that would get the Padres to accept WITHOUT including Quintana/Garcia, it's just unlikely that some other team won't offer something better.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
Beckham can play 3rd. Beckham would hit NL pitching better. Beckham has a decent contract.

These are all interesting points that generally have nothing to do with any hypothetical Chase Headley trade.

In 287 plate appearances versus the NL, Beckham has put up splits of .272/.325/.413/.738. It's better than he has hit otherwise; it's still not very good. He also hasn't played 3B since his rookie year, so he'd almost certainly be detrimental to the team at 3B. Saying he can play 3B is pretty similar to saying Omar Vizquel can play 3B, except that Vizquel has done it more recently.

He also does not have a decent contract because, in fact, he has no contract. He's currently under control of the White Sox, and the Sox have the choice as to whether or not they offer him a contract, but he does not have one. Semantics aside, he's going to get about $4-5 mill this year and about $6-7 mill next year (if he's even offered a contract). That is not a decent contract and the Padres, nay, any team would have little cost controlled time of Beckham, and they aren't even good prices.

He also has 2000 plate appearances of a very mediocre offense and he'd be moving to the best pitcher's park in the league. If he would put up even a .650 OPS - say .230/.300/.350 - I'd be surprised. The only way the Padres would accept Beckham is as a throw in. He's a pretty worthless player overall (in trade talk).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
If they want a LH bat, the White Sox have nothing to send them. We don't have any LH hitting talent at the minor league levels. Adam Dunn is a negative value player. De Aza is the only LH hitting bat we have of any sort.

This. If LH bat is a requirement in a deal, then we can consider the White Sox out of the picture.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
FWIW, I think the media overstates Headley's value at this point. The reality is that it was super high after his 2012 in a market starved for 3B talent, but a down year later, Headley looks like a less productive player with just a year left until FA.

His price, of course, will come down to how many teams are bidding. I think the WS could put a package together that would get the Padres to accept WITHOUT including Quintana/Garcia, it's just unlikely that some other team won't offer something better.

Even coming down from his 2012 campaign, he's still a solid player. In the fangraphs world he's a regular 3+ WAR player every year. He's a guy who a reasonable contract could be 5/$80 or more if he's on the FA market. For a team looking to compete next year with a hole at 3b, he makes a ton of sense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
Even coming down from his 2012 campaign, he's still a solid player. In the fangraphs world he's a regular 3+ WAR player every year. He's a guy who a reasonable contract could be 5/$80 or more if he's on the FA market. For a team looking to compete next year with a hole at 3b, he makes a ton of sense.

I'm not saying he's not good -- just that the perception is that his price is "sky high," and given all the factors I mentioned combined with the fact that the Padres lose additional leverage since they are clearly unable to extend him, I think his ultimate price will be much more reasonable than everyone seems to be predicting right now.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)
I would love to rebuild the lineup on the fly and make a massive trade with San Diego. They have two guys I would love to have in Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal along with Headley who I would like if we immediately signed following the trade.

Obviously highly unlikely but it's well known they prefer Stassi (top catching prospect in baseball) over Grandal and Headley is probably going to moved. They also have next to to no power and Alonso isn't cutting in terms of power.

Due to the dead season, trade Dunn, Semien, Reed and 2/3 prospects (Thompson, Sanchez, Beck, Bassit, Snodgress, etc.) for Headley, Grandal and Alonso.

L CF De Aza

R 2B Beckham

S 3B Headley

R 1B/DH Abreu

R RF Garcia

L DH/1B Alonso

R LF Viciedo

S C Grandal

R SS Ramirez

3 established vets in Headley, Alexei and De Aza.

5 guys who are young with great potential and hope 3 pan out in Abreu, Garcia, Alonso, Grandal and Viciedo.

1 guy who sucks in Beckham.

S SS Cabrera

R 2B Semien

R LF Quentin

L 1B Dunn

R 3B Gyorko

L RF Venable

R C Hundley (placeholder for Stassi)

L/R CF Armarista/Maybin

Stassi is an Astros prospect. I'd assume you mean Austin Hedges?

I'm not a very big Headley fan, but it's not like he played badly last year. He's played 6 seasons, and it is his 3rd best by WAR and by wRC+. It was a good year.

I think the price will be too high to get him, whether it is trade price or the extension price, but we're underrating him now

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
I'm not saying he's not good -- just that the perception is that his price is "sky high," and given all the factors I mentioned combined with the fact that the Padres lose additional leverage since they are clearly unable to extend him, I think his ultimate price will be much more reasonable than everyone seems to be predicting right now.

100% agree with everything you've said in this thread. Headley has value and won't come cheap, but we're talking about one year of a very good 3B at slightly below market rate and likely a 1st/2nd round pick. Teams won't be trading an established major league starter with 5 years of team control for him. GMs simply aren't as stupid as they used to be (Dayton Moore notwithstanding). Cost controlled talent is valued at an all-time right now.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
I suggested we should go after David Freese and people practically jumped down my throat, but somehow Headley is a good idea? Somebody please explain this logic to me.

Look at his numbers in 2012 while remembering he plays 81 games Petco park and that will tell you why

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)
I suggested we should go after David Freese and people practically jumped down my throat, but somehow Headley is a good idea? Somebody please explain this logic to me.

That's easy. Freese is a mediocre player who has had 1 good year in his career. Headley is a good player who has had 1 mediocre year in his career.

Freese is 30 years old and a righty.

Headley is 29 years old and a lefty.

Freese was one of the worst defensive 3B last year.

Headley is one of the best defensive 3B in baseball.

It's really not even an argument.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
100% agree with everything you've said in this thread. Headley has value and won't come cheap, but we're talking about one year of a very good 3B at slightly below market rate and likely a 1st/2nd round pick. Teams won't be trading an established major league starter with 5 years of team control for him. GMs simply aren't as stupid as they used to be (Dayton Moore notwithstanding). Cost controlled talent is valued at an all-time right now.

Then the Padres won't trade him. If they can't get something like that, they will hold him to the deadline and see if he has a big first half in a contract year or just take the draft pick next offseason.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:29 PM)
That's easy. Freese is a mediocre player who has had 1 good year in his career. Headley is a good player who has had 1 mediocre year in his career.

Freese is 30 years old and a righty.

Headley is 29 years old and a lefty.

Freese was one of the worst defensive 3B last year.

Headley is one of the best defensive 3B in baseball.

It's really not even an argument.

Oh boy Freese is a whole 11 months older. And Freese was hurt last year, he has been a slightly above average the rest of his career.

Headley is a 3B who will make around $9M next year who has posted an OPS over .775 once in his career. I'll pass. His 2010 season of .264/.327/.375 wasn't mediocre by the way? He's had 1 really good season (2012) and 1 season that was a little above average (2011), the rest of his career has been average at best.

And Busch is just as bad for hitters as Petco for whoever used that excuse, actually its worse for home runs. http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/order/false