Chase Headley

GREEDY

I'd guess 6/90 is the # for Headley, especially if he got it this off season. He'd be a HUGE upgrade for this team.

I'm of the opinion that if you have a pitcher like Chris Sale, you have to at least field a team that projects for .500 or better. Over-achieve a bit, get in the playoffs and you never know what could happen because you have one of the best pitchers in the game.

I'd happily give up a cheap young reliever and roll the dice in the bullpen this season in exchange for a difference maker, switch hitter, above average defender, in his prime.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
If Abreu, Viciedo, and Garcia disappoint/continue to disappoint then it won't matter whether we have Headley or not. Either we've already successfully added the key pieces to rebuild that offense or we're going to be starting from scratch. Headley could be a decent supplementary piece to pick up for a team ready to compete right now.

However...spending $15 million a year for 5 years extending Headley after also giving up talent from the upper levels...which you admit are weak...is completely backwards.

If we're willing to spend $15 million a year on a 3b upgrade...fine, let's sign Headley in a year when he's a free agent. Why do we need him so desperately for 2014 if we're going to have to pay fair market value to keep him afterwards?

In the deal that was floated, we'd give up Reed and Semien for a guy that we could sign next year anyway. We'd be forced to sign him to a fair free agent deal because we couldn't afford to give up that much for him and let him walk. Why do we need him so desperately for 2014? We'd be giving up Reed, or Reed + Semien, to get Headley for 2014, when we could get him for the same dollar amount in 2015 while keeping both of those guys.

If we were sitting there as an 85 win team and a weakness at 3b...fine, let's trade our closer and go for the final piece. You guys keep saying we need ballplayers, we need talent...why are you so interested in getting rid of talent?

Why is it a forgone conclusion he will be an FA next year? Why can't the Padres or any other team sign him to an extension this season?

Here's the thing with Headley: He's a win now piece.

So it means the Sox would have to go all-in, meaning as a set of moves. Now, I'm a proponent of those moves (as evidenced by my Crazy Quin GM hat that I wear half the time), but more so with free agents.

So you'd need to sign someone like Salty to $40M/4 years to have it make sense.

Lets say you trade for Headley. What are you trading, knowing he's about to become expensive in 1 year and that he was very unhealthy last year?

Addison is a steep price because he's an effective, cost controlled closer. Hector has a good chunk of value as well.

What I'd offer:

Santiago/Keppinger/Thompson or Rienzo/Thompson for Headley. Nothing more.

If Hector is in the deal, you'd need to sign someone like Floyd as rotational insurance for Rienzo/Johnson.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 01:25 AM)
Here's the thing with Headley: He's a win now piece.

So it means the Sox would have to go all-in, meaning as a set of moves. Now, I'm a proponent of those moves (as evidenced by my Crazy Quin GM hat that I wear half the time), but more so with free agents.

So you'd need to sign someone like Salty to $40M/4 years to have it make sense.

Lets say you trade for Headley. What are you trading, knowing he's about to become expensive in 1 year and that he was very unhealthy last year?

Addison is a steep price because he's an effective, cost controlled closer. Hector has a good chunk of value as well.

What I'd offer:

Santiago/Keppinger/Thompson or Rienzo/Thompson for Headley. Nothing more.

If Hector is in the deal, you'd need to sign someone like Floyd as rotational insurance for Rienzo/Johnson.

Santiago is way more valuable than Reed.

And I'm totally against trading for Headley unless you can sign him to an extension as part of the trade. The whole point here is to be able to offer him some long-term security before he hits free agency. He very well may reject your offers and want to test free agency, which is why the deal would have to be conditional on an extension. The reality here is that once Headley reaches free agency, there will be more competition for his services and you'll have to sacrifice a draft pick even if you're the lucky winner. I'd rather take my chances and see if he's willing to take a long-term deal now if the cost is only Reed.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 01:25 AM)
Why is it a forgone conclusion he will be an FA next year? Why can't the Padres or any other team sign him to an extension this season?

Are you willing to pay fair market value for that to happen? Right now I'd guess that's 5/$75+ for him. A decent season and he could push $100 million.

Are you willing to pay that for him? If so...why are you so desperate to have him in the fold for 2014 that you're willing to give up some of the cost-controlled talent the Sox do have to get him on the roster right now?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
Are you willing to pay fair market value for that to happen? Right now I'd guess that's 5/$75+ for him. A decent season and he could push $100 million.

Are you willing to pay that for him? If so...why are you so desperate to have him in the fold for 2014 that you're willing to give up some of the cost-controlled talent the Sox do have to get him on the roster right now?

How does any of that affect the chances of him being extended before the season ends? I'm trying to tell you it's not as easy as "well let's just sign him in a year", because he may not be available in a year.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
How does any of that affect the chances of him being extended before the season ends? I'm trying to tell you it's not as easy as "well let's just sign him in a year", because he may not be available in a year.

But you know what? If you have $100 million to spend on a 3b, I bet you that you'll be able to find a reasonable option.

Headley makes sense in that he gives you a legitimate 3B with a chance of being a long term solution. If not he will net you a first round draft pick a year and half from now. I think Headley is a great fit for this roster and is probably one of two moves the Sox need to make to be competitive this year.

Headley's power will play nicely in USCF and at worst you can dump in for prospects in July if you are out of contention. Its a risk, but you have to gamble sometimes to get ahead.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 25, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
Yasmani Grandal's career splits-slash in an admittedly small sample size (229 PAs).

at Petco:.255/.361/.397.759

away from Petco:.288 /.399/.460/.859

This guy should be a top target. Coming off an injury and a non-spectacular season. Has the OBP, has the power and supposedly decent defensive chops. He's had pretty good success so far and he has a strong pedigree.

Also got suspended for PEDs.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 25, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
Yasmani Grandal's career splits-slash in an admittedly small sample size (229 PAs).

at Petco:.255/.361/.397.759

away from Petco:.288 /.399/.460/.859

This guy should be a top target. Coming off an injury and a non-spectacular season. Has the OBP, has the power and supposedly decent defensive chops. He's had pretty good success so far and he has a strong pedigree.

Sounds good to me. He and Headley together would solve the left-handedness issue. What would it take?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 2h

No progress on Headley extension; Padres to examine trade value

Anyone know what they are looking for right now? I would love Headley on this team

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
They'll probably want Quintana.

Possibly, but their rotation seems pretty set, with a few quality guys battling for the last spot in the rotation. If I were them, I'd ask us for something to the tune of Avi Garcia, Beckham, Erik Johnson, + specs for Headley and Logan Forsythe. Just as a starting pt. I know they're looking for a huge haul. I wouldn't do a deal for him unless a contract extension was in place. The only way I'd send Q is if we got Cory Luebke back.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
They'll probably want Quintana.

They can want Quintana all they want, but I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell the Sox would give him up for one year of Headley. I would love to see Headley on this team, but if they're giving up anything significant I would like to see one of those 24 hours to extend him contigency type deals.