AFL in Review

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
Yeah, he seems like his ceiling could be very similar to what De Aza is right now.

Different profile. Mitchell has similar power, but will hit for a lower average, while walking a lot more. Also Mitchell, when healthy, has better speed. And even through his offensive struggles, his defense has been cited as being very good in CF.

If Mitchell can hit for a reasonable average, with the rest of the tools he brings, he could be better than De Aza overall. but that hitting for average part is a big question mark.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
Different profile. Mitchell has similar power, but will hit for a lower average, while walking a lot more. Also Mitchell, when healthy, has better speed. And even through his offensive struggles, his defense has been cited as being very good in CF.

If Mitchell can hit for a reasonable average, with the rest of the tools he brings, he could be better than De Aza overall. but that hitting for average part is a big question mark.

I'd assume the lower average and higher walk rate would offset to be roughly the same value. Either of them would ideally be 7 hitters.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)

Also, I could be wrong, but didn't both of them have significant leg injuries that sapped their formerly elite speed?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
Also, I could be wrong, but didn't both of them have significant leg injuries that sapped their formerly elite speed?

Mitchell yes, though supposedly his speed is back to normal now. De Aza I don't really know his injury history, don't recall off hand.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Mitchell yes, though supposedly his speed is back to normal now. De Aza I don't really know his injury history, don't recall off hand.

De Aza completely destroyed one of his legs in 2009, thats' why he became available in the first place, his rehab took 2+ years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
If Mitchell broke out, that would be absolutely huge. I remember how high everyone was on him, especially in that one spring training, until he had his injury.

He looked so unbelievably good. Calm, strong, long, confident swing. It looked like he knew what he was doing at the plate. Then he got hurt and it was just like "ok, now what?"

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
He looked so unbelievably good. Calm, strong, long, confident swing. It looked like he knew what he was doing at the plate. Then he got hurt and it was just like "ok, now what?"

That about sums it up. He looked like he was on the fast track to the majors. I'm hoping he has a comeback similar to De Aza.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Heh. If anyone wants the bitter, Larry version of an AFL review, you can read his article here.

That is one angry dude. I think he fashions himself as a sort of Keith Law of the White Sox system. But without the sense of humor.

larry is legitimate. Out of all the White Sox forums/sites/blogs, I'd put him at the top as far as minor league/prospect assessments.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
larry is legitimate. Out of all the White Sox forums/sites/blogs, I'd put him at the top as far as minor league/prospect assessments.

If by "legitimate" you mean he is very knowledgeable, I agree. He's also got writing talent at a level rare in the Sox media sphere. What I was getting at is, he's got a piss-poor attitude, and it makes reading his pieces unnecessarily painful.

Also, I'd disagree he's "at the top", as I think the combined knowledge of FS's writers is much stronger. But I'm obviously and admitedly biased on that part, haha.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)
If by "legitimate" you mean he is very knowledgeable, I agree. He's also got writing talent at a level rare in the Sox media sphere. What I was getting at is, he's got a piss-poor attitude, and it makes reading his pieces unnecessarily painful.

Also, I'd disagree he's "at the top", as I think the combined knowledge of FS's writers is much stronger. But I'm obviously and admitedly biased on that part, haha.

His snark and outlook is similar to mine which is part of the appeal. I also like Keith Law which might explain things. Jason Parks is great too.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
His snark and outlook is similar to mine which is part of the appeal. I also like Keith Law which might explain things. Jason Parks is great too.

To each their own. I read Keith Law and Jason Parks too. Both have a sense of humor, though Law's is much more caustic. Larry just isn't particularly funny to me - just snarky and annoying. I still read his stuff though, because he sometimes provides good insight.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/very-final-...na-fall-league/

FG rates Mitchell third-best bat in AFL with their SCOUT+ stat which takes his production and regresses it into expected production to account for sample size.

I saw some Trackman data from the AFL, and he had a couple of the hardest hit balls recorded in the league for the season (based on exit velocity). Also had a couple long home runs.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 08:53 AM)
I saw some Trackman data from the AFL, and he had a couple of the hardest hit balls recorded in the league for the season (based on exit velocity). Also had a couple long home runs.

So seriously, regarding his entire year including the AFL...WTF?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
So seriously, regarding his entire year including the AFL...WTF?

Beware small sample size.

Still though, very encouraging. The tools have always been there. If he starts 2014 in AAA for a few months and hits like he did in the AFL, he could very quickly rocket up prospect boards.

That said, for me, he still needs to have that increased contact rate and average trend in AAA for those few months before I consider him more than a fringe guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
Beware small sample size.

Still though, very encouraging. The tools have always been there. If he starts 2014 in AAA for a few months and hits like he did in the AFL, he could very quickly rocket up prospect boards.

That said, for me, he still needs to have that increased contact rate and average trend in AAA for those few months before I consider him more than a fringe guy.

Yeah small sample size, but I don't think he even had a week like that all year. Maybe in a year and a half.