Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 10:18 PM)
Uh what? I don't see the sox having much communication with them at the moment. I could be wrong but they were not a team that popped out.

I don't think catcher upgrade is a huge priority right now.

Clearly I should have used teal since the guy asked for any rumor I made one up.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 28, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
God, I hope this is false. Might as well punt the season, if true.

I don't like punting whole seasons.

Sometimes you have to get worse to get better.....I'd like to see a vet brought in who can field the position well, but I don't see the need to break the bank for any of the guys available this year. If we can get a young C in a trade then great, but I see no need to rush and get the 1st upgrade available.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 28, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
God, I hope this is false. Might as well punt the season, if true.

I don't like punting whole seasons.

We are going to upgrade at catcher. We are not going into the season with Flowers and Phegley at catcher. Every indication has been made that it is a major priority at this point. Rick Hahn knows it.

I can see a minor upgrade at C (think LH. Hitting guy to platoon with Phegs or Flowers) if the sox add a big bat in the OF or 3b. I think the price for a C (via trade, or signing) is far higher than an Ofer or 3b, given the market now. No way is Salty worth $10 mil. Per for 3 years, even if the sox need a C. I'd rather the sox get a defensive minded C and upgrade the offense elsewhere if no C is available

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Nov 29, 2013 -> 04:41 AM)
Are we ready to call quits on Flowers, and Phegley, already?

Wasn't Flowers playing hurt all season? And Phegley has a small sample size and has adjusted in all levels in the minors.

Oh absolutely on Tyler Flowers....his grace period is over.He's been with this organization for quite some time now. Phegley may get a chance to stick around. But I would keep him as a backup.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 29, 2013 -> 07:09 AM)
Oh absolutely on Tyler Flowers....his grace period is over.He's been with this organization for quite some time now. Phegley may get a chance to stick around. But I would keep him as a backup.

This. Phegley is young enough that significant improvement is still a semi-realistic possibility.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 29, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
Which is extremely old for someone to go from a sub-replacement player to an effective Major Leaguer.

The difference between 25 and 27 isn't that big. The reality is that while Flowers has spent much more time on the major league roster, last year was his first time as a regular.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 29, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
Which is extremely old for someone to go from a sub-replacement player to an effective Major Leaguer.

Yes. We're talking increments of probability. And Phegley's age plus perceived lost time due to recovery from debilitating illness make him a more likely candidate for improvement.

And otherwise, they're roughly the same player, so we don't need both of them anyway.

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Nov 29, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
Are we ready to call quits on Flowers, and Phegley, already?

Wasn't Flowers playing hurt all season? And Phegley has a small sample size and has adjusted in all levels in the minors.

Seeing how the sox have real other options at C, it makes sense (as long as both guys have options left in the minors) to have one be part of a platoon with a lefty, and the other in AAA.

Even if the sox added a decent LH bat, keeping both around at low salaries on the bench or in the minors is decent insurance.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 29, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Seeing how the sox have real other options at C, it makes sense (as long as both guys have options left in the minors) to have one be part of a platoon with a lefty, and the other in AAA.

Even if the sox added a decent LH bat, keeping both around at low salaries on the bench or in the minors is decent insurance.

Flowers is out of options.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 30, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
Good just release him

A decent backup catcher can be really useful for a lot of teams. That strikes me as quite silly; he's already established he can be a decent backup catcher if he's healthy. That may not mean he's a starter, that may mean we should be trying to swap him for someone who hits LH. But man, you don't just release people who do have some talent because you're frustrated with them unless there's someone pushing to replace them.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 1, 2013 -> 01:42 AM)
Not even in the bottom 20. Not even the worst or even 2nd worst ON THE TEAM last year.

Are you suggesting Keppinger and Konerko were worse? Because that's silly. They merely played more. If you give Phegley the same number of plate appearances, he ends up as the worst.

Using wRC+ which tells you how you played relative to the league as opposed to offensive runs accumulated, which is a measure of how often you play, then Phegley's 34 comes out as the worst...by far.