Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
Mythical god and White Sox legend AJ Pierzynski, who people just can't seem to let go, put up .287/.323/.414/.737 in the minors.

Perennial MVP candidate Yadier Molina was a career .278/.335/.368/.703 hitter in the minors.

He draws walks, he makes good contact, and he plays good defense. You pay $50K to bring him in with an ultimate risk of $25K because you can offer him back for $25K to the Astros if you don't like him, which is pennies for the White Sox organization. You are taking on no risk for what could ultimately be the variable "some" reward. If the Sox don't want him or don't see a fit, they simply give him back.

This is not an awful idea. This is how smart teams operate. I'm not suggesting they give him 500 plate appearances next year or that he'd ever develop into anything more than a backup, but when the alternatives are spending $40+ mill a year on Saltalamacchia, giving up very good prospects while likely ultimately losing Wieters, trading for a defensively challenged and older player in Jaso, trading for Ryan f***ing Hanigan, or coming back with nothing and going into next year with Tyler Flowers coming off shoulder surgery and Josh Phegley, what do you want to do?

It is $50,000 for a shot at a major leaguer in a position you suck at. I don't see how it is even a question with the state of the White Sox right now.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Flowers is a better player, so the idea of that is preposterous.

Indeed....I dont get all the people trying to connect the dots and have him land here. I'd rather just keep Flowers.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
Indeed....I dont get all the people trying to connect the dots and have him land here. I'd rather just keep Flowers.

If he is a non-tender guy, we aren't giving up anything to get him. It would be a guy that no one has ever heard of, except the kids mom.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
If he is a non-tender guy, we aren't giving up anything to get him. It would be a guy that no one has ever heard of, except the kids mom.

Just a thought but how about swapping Flowers for him?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
The Sox won't trade Chris Sale, at this state of the franchise, unless they get back another major league superstar, who has some contract value left in him. Otherwise forget it. Unless the Sox absolutely implode this year, there is no chance Sale goes anywhere.

Right. I don't think anyone is questioning that.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
I dabble on a Blue Jays message board and their hatred for JP Arencibia is unlike anything I have ever seen. It's Dunn X Flowers X Javy Vazquez X Swisher bad. They will have a thread like "What would be a realistic return for Bautista?" and the 3rd post will be like "f*** JPA." It's almost annoying. He's easily the most mentioned player on the site.

That thread is hilarious! I guess it would be similar here if Beckham busted that hard.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
If the Jays are going to non-tender JP no matter what, their asking price must be extremely low. Maybe it's worth it to trade for him for some low-level garbage prospect? As bad as he is/was he still looks like an upgrade over Flowers, although I'm not familiar enough with him to know anything about his defense.

The only problem is if it would preclude them from continuing to try to upgrade the C position.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
Arencibia's 162 game averages- .212, 27/82, OBP of .258

Flowers' 162 game averages- .200, 19/45, OBP of .279

Yes, that's exactly my point. They both blow. There's no need to replace Flowers with Flowers, just as the Blue Jays believe that there is no need to replace Arencibia with Arencibia. At this point, keep the devil you know ORRRR get rid of Flowers and don't ever, ever, ever talk to Arencibia.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
Yes, that's exactly my point. They both blow. There's no need to replace Flowers with Flowers, just as the Blue Jays believe that there is no need to replace Arencibia with Arencibia. At this point, keep the devil you know ORRRR get rid of Flowers and don't ever, ever, ever talk to Arencibia.

But if we got JPA for practically nothing, would you want him? Sure, he and Flowers both have terrible averages, but Arencibia produces more runs.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
But if we got JPA for practically nothing, would you want him? Sure, he and Flowers both have terrible averages, but Arencibia produces more runs.

No. And I think the idea that he produces more runs is wrong too. I think they produce roughly the same amount of runs, which is jack s***.