Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

Good grief this shows even the sports writers are bored and desperate for something to write about. The longer this "decision" takes the more annoyed I get with Paulie. With all the holes the sox have its not like the success of the 14' season hinges on Paulie. Let it ( the decision )and him go already.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 06:08 AM)
Then be prepared to give up a f***ton of talent, because the Dodgers have no reason to move Kemp and pay a bunch of his salary. We're much better off taking on money right now then giving a chunk of our minimal talent.

Which is why some team with a lot of talent in the minors and a need in their OF will take a gamble on him.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 11:11 PM)
honestly the only thing i'm pissed about is that we didnt get Dexter Fowler. The Astros got him for pennies. Pennies.

Again, compare De Aza to Fowler. What am I missing? Fowler has been a product of Coors Field for years now. He's likely getting $10+ mill a year following the season for 3-5 years. That is $10 mill a year that could be spent far more efficiently.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:46 PM)
$7m per year is paying him to be less than a 2WAR player -- who wouldn't take the over on that? Talk an opportunity to solidify the C position for several years at almost no risk... I thought the plan was to make long-term upgrades, this feels like a major missed opportunity.

I would quibble with the term "long term" when it comes to Salty as an upgrade.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 21m

Also on @whitesox: @Yankees addition of Jacoby Ellsbury could make Brett Gardner available. Alexei Ramirez nice fit w/NYY if Cano leaves.

I sure do wish Dayan could hang at 3B. Move him there with De Aza in LF and Gardner in CF then go with something like....

Gardner-Semien-Abreu-Dunn-Garcia-De Aza-Viciedo-Jaso(PLZ)-Beckham

I really wanna keep De Aza and Tank, but at the same time I want an upgrade defensively in CF, and OBP wise in the leadoff position....I'm in a pickle on the De Aza situation.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:26 AM)
I sure do wish Dayan could hang at 3B. Move him there with De Aza in LF and Gardner in CF then go with something like....

Gardner-Semien-Abreu-Dunn-Garcia-De Aza-Viciedo-Jaso(PLZ)-Beckham

I really wanna keep De Aza and Tank, but at the same time I want an upgrade defensively in CF, and OBP wise in the leadoff position....I'm in a pickle on the De Aza situation.

Move Dunn for Gardner and all your problems are fixed.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
Move Dunn for Gardner and all your problems are fixed.

Lol I also think Dunn has a place on this team as a LH middle of the lineup bat. Unless we also swing a trade for a guy like Headley, or another LH middle of the lineup bat(or sign Cano =p) then I'm sticking with the Dunn/Konerko platoon that could be pretty good.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 07:46 PM)
$7m per year is paying him to be less than a 2WAR player -- who wouldn't take the over on that? Talk an opportunity to solidify the C position for several years at almost no risk... I thought the plan was to make long-term upgrades, this feels like a major missed opportunity.

This, and not "salty sucks". A .795 career OPS against RHP would be extremely useful for 3 years at 21 mil, regardless of defensive mediocrity - compares well to the high 500's OPS we're likely to see from Flow-gley. 200 points difference ain't chopped liver, sorry. Unless we upgrade otherwise at C, we've really screwed the pooch here.

The Konerko return also has me bummed. Show me something, Rick!!!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 07:31 AM)
Again, compare De Aza to Fowler. What am I missing? Fowler has been a product of Coors Field for years now. He's likely getting $10+ mill a year following the season for 3-5 years. That is $10 mill a year that could be spent far more efficiently.

Fowler is a substantial upgrade over DeAza defensively, but has been nothing but enigmatic overall here - just when you think he's turning a corner at the plate, he has another slump. He's also not the base stealer he should be with his speed. Oldsox and I have probably seen him more than anyone else here, 100's of games - I'm not crying over our lack of pursuit here.

What say you Oldsox, if you're with us this morning?

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
Salty would be a win-now move, and there's no point to that right now. Abreu isnt young-young but there's still a win-later component to it that goes along with the plan of Avi, Semien etc

No, it's a win in 2015 and 2016 and maybe now move. Sammy Ayala, our only legit upside C in the system, is at least that far away, if he ever makes it at all. Next year's catching FA's are even less thrilling as a group.

We must make a trade for C, and the current options all have many fleas.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
No, it's a win in 2015 and 2016 and maybe now move. Sammy Ayala, our only legit upside C in the system, is at least that far away, if he ever makes it at all. Next year's catching FA's are even less thrilling as a group.

Sammy Ayala turned 19 in July and was in rookie ball this year. 2017 would be early for him.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)

Apparently the Sox weren't the only team that thought that money for Salty wasn't such a good idea. The guy wound up in Miami. Keep that in mind. Miami. Loria.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
Apparently the Sox weren't the only team that thought that money for Salty wasn't such a good idea. The guy wound up in Miami. Keep that in mind. Miami. Loria.

Oh, I know. I wasn't in love with the guy by any means, just saw him as a more-substantial-than-acknowledged-here upgrade, don't like the remaining options outside of Jaso, who may not be able to go, apparently, and really worried that a 500's OPS from the position, against the type of pitching we'll see 80% of the time in our division, will be a lineup killer that we can't afford. Again.

Yes, the numbers aren't thrilling, but I have to wonder if there are some unreported fleas on Salty, given the marketplace.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
Sammy Ayala turned 19 in July and was in rookie ball this year. 2017 would be early for him.

Yes, exactly. And no one else currently in the system really has much mlb hope at all.