Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 11:40 PM)
That is absolutely terrible for the Sox...

I agree that it needs to be more, but I just can't figure the deal out. Meant to throw Skaggs in there as well.

Forgot about Lee too

Pederson-Lee-Skaggs-Magill-Rodriguez-Davidson.

Edited by scs787

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox have so many problems that...when I look at a garden variety Keppinger year as a rebound....plus Conor against righties.....

.......I almost feel like this isnt a priority. I mean, everything is a priority..but you have to figure out what to do with Kepp's $ then..

I say all this in terms of how much cheap labor Quintana provides in the future...............more than Kepp/CG affection, necessarily.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
The Sox have so many problems that...when I look at a garden variety Keppinger year as a rebound....plus Conor against righties.....

.......I almost feel like this isnt a priority. I mean, everything is a priority..but you have to figure out what to do with Kepp's $ then..

I say all this in terms of how much cheap labor Quintana provides in the future...............more than Kepp/CG affection, necessarily.

The Sox could look into moving Beckham if they acquired Headley. Move Kepp to 2nd as a stopgap until one of Semien, Sanchez, or Johnson is ready. I think that could be very realistic.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 01:16 AM)
Overpay IMO

Thompson and Snodgress have very little trade value. Santiago looks decent, but is just a #4-5 starter right now. Beck is interesting, but he is also not that close to the majors yet, and Jones is a solid bullpen arm, but we can replace him immediately with Webb. I think that's a fair offer, assuming an extension is coming w/ Headley.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 10:53 PM)
Thompson and Snodgress have very little trade value. Santiago looks decent, but is just a #4-5 starter right now. Beck is interesting, but he is also not that close to the majors yet, and Jones is a solid bullpen arm, but we can replace him immediately with Webb. I think that's a fair offer, assuming an extension is coming w/ Headley.

Alrighty then - you sold me :)

Headley ( plus an extension ) and Grandal. Bring it on!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:38 AM)
Alrighty then - you sold me :)

Headley ( plus an extension ) and Grandal. Bring it on!

I honestly think Beck would be the riskiest player to give up in that deal. He seemingly has the highest potential of all those guys, but he is just kind of an unknown right now. But yeah, I don't want Headley if we can't get an extension w/ him, unless the price is low, like Santiago for Headley straight up, because then at least we can trade Headley at the deadline for prospects that should be worth at least Santiago and likely better. That is especially true if the Yankees could need a 3B upgrade by then and they say "f*** it, here is Gary Sanchez" and we can improve that way.

Phil Rogers at the winter meetings this morning on MLB Network is pimping a Gardner for Alexei swap making sense for both teams (Jeter's injury history/eventual retirement/Alexei's experience playing 2B/3B, then shifting to SS/stop gap until Yankees figure out what to do long term at SS).

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)
Phil Rogers at the winter meetings this morning on MLB Network is pimping a Gardner for Alexei swap making sense for both teams (Jeter's injury history/eventual retirement/Alexei's experience playing 2B/3B, then shifting to SS/stop gap until Yankees figure out what to do long term at SS).

The problem is they're far from certain if Semien can play major league SS, let alone hold his own at the plate.

Just doesn't really make much sense, because you're not really significantly strengthening the team since you've just created a huge hole at SS and you won't have Gardner for more than one season, just like the situation with Headley.

Even if they could extend him, are you sure you want to sign a Brett Gardner for 3-4-5 years when he's already around 30 to begin with, as a speed based player who is sure to start declining soon?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
A few things to remember about Choo:

He is terrible vs. left handed pitching.

He was hit by pitches a league leading 26 times last year, and that's not a good way to generate a high OBP. One of those pitches is likely to land him on the DL.

He is not a good defensive outfielder, especially in CF.

And of course, he will cost way too much money, and want too long of a contract.

I'd still like to see a one year deal, at a reasonable price, for a certain other former Indian, left handed, center fielder. Dare I mention his name?

With these crazy contracts, that gamble is looking better every day. He's the same age as Choo, and is a better outfielder, even after the knee surgery. He's also better suited to bat in the middle of the order, if he's really healthy, of course.

He will probably be much more interested in guaranteed playing time, than a long term deal, as he will want to prove he is healthy, in order to re-establish his value.

The Sox are in a position to take that gamble, as he would not be blocking anyone, and would not cost a draft pick, as I mentioned one of the several times that I brought it up.

I know some will attack me for belaboring the point, but these ridiculous contracts provide a new perspective on the idea.

What would the Sox have to lose?

What the hell, I agree - Kenny Lofton would be a good addition. I know it's been 5 years since he last played, but I'm sure he can still get on base.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Or Sale could blow out his elbow, something that some people think is inevitable and we passed on several cornerstone players and have nothing to show for it. Would that set the franchise back five years? Then we shouldn't have so much invested in one player, we need a better team.

Jose Abreu could look like the next Miguel Cabrera and then proceed to blow out his knee on a f***ed up slide during a 14-2 ballgame. The odds of an elite young player suddenly becoming ineffective is a whole lot smaller than some group of kids all turning into what you want them to.

The whole reason people get excited about prospects is because they don't view them correctly & as they are. They are busts, underachievers, and maybe there's something really good in there too. Nobody would trade Sale for Ackley, Smoak, Montero/Pineda, etc. - name 6 Mariners busts and you have a deal that nobody in their right mind would make now but a deal that this board would have been ALL OVER if those players were 2 years back from where they are now.

You trade Sale for 8 guys you get 2 guys who never factor into anything, a setup man or a closer, a utility guy/extra OF, some trade bait and a couple above average Major Leaguers who you then end up paying MORE in salary to than you're currently obligated to pay Sale & still none of these guys are marketable & none of them are stoppers should you make the playoffs. That scenario is a whole lot more likely than a brand new awesome video game team that's like the Rays which everyone is suddenly jealous off.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
Or Sale could blow out his elbow, something that some people think is inevitable and we passed on several cornerstone players and have nothing to show for it. Would that set the franchise back five years? Then we shouldn't have so much invested in one player, we need a better team.

Tommy John surgery is incredibly successful now a days, so no, it would not. The most it would set it back would be 2 years, but he could blow it out now, come back in 2015, and be ready to go while the Sox continue developing minor league players.

Also, they barely have anything invested in Sale. And just because you have a team that has limited talent does not mean you should trade him to bring more talent in. There are a zillion ways to bring talented into the organization. As of right now, you have one of the best young pitchers in the game. If you keep him, and the rest of your pitching staff is good, you are suddenly a lot closer than anyone else thought possible and you care competing by 2015.

I don't see any way a deal is going to get done.