Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
The higher priced the free agent market gets, the better off that Dunn's contract looks to a team looking for power in the middle of their line up. At the beginning of winter, the deal was untradable. Now I am not so convinced.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Every time a high-priced FA gets signed, the one team that was willing to pay that high price is suddenly out of the market. I think there's probably some fallacy somewhere underneath the idea of "setting the market" in baseball free agency, but I don't have it all thought out.

I think it's more likely that there's an effect for being the "best remaining option," but I don't know if it manifests itself in increased value, just increased interest.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
I don't think this is necessarily true. Every time a high-priced FA gets signed, the one team that was willing to pay that high price is suddenly out of the market. I think there's probably some fallacy somewhere underneath the idea of "setting the market" in baseball free agency, but I don't have it all thought out.

I think it's more likely that there's an effect for being the "best remaining option," but I don't know if it manifests itself in increased value, just increased interest.

Only if you operate under the assumption that all teams have enough power hitters, and that Adam Dunn wouldn't be considered "better" at a position than what a team currently has.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Only if you operate under the assumption that all teams have enough power hitters, and that Adam Dunn wouldn't be considered "better" at a position than what a team currently has.

Again, I think the effect of the market increases interest for Adam Dunn, not the price. Team A wasn't willing to pay market price for Player B, and so Team A accepts that its sights must be lowered to Adam Dunn. Team A isn't willing to pay more for less, just willing to accept less overall.

Edited major typo

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
Again, I think the effect of the market increases interest for Adam Dunn, not the price. Team A wasn't willing to pay market price for Player B, and so Team A accepts that its sights must be lowered to Adam Dunn. Team A is willing to pay more for less, just willing to accept less overall.

I think it depends on how many buyers we have in our market, the level of demand we have in solely left handed power, and whether teams are willing to accept substitutes for it.

For instance, assume that we solely have two packages of widgets, more widgets are better, and widgets are necessary. Package A has 10 widgets and package B has 5 widgets. Person A is willing to to pay 10 gold doubloons for widgets no matter what, while persons B and C are willing to pay 5 gold doubloons for widgets no matter what. Person A will end up with package A. That leaves package B has the only one available. It's not inconceivable for person B and/or C to increase their offer to make sure that they acquire some widgets.

But let's say that person C is also willing to substitude widgets with maggles. They can instead acquire this package of 10 maggles for their initial cost of 5 gold doubloons, which in turn means person B is still only willing to pay 5 gold doubloons for package B of widgets and thus, no increase in willingness to purchase the package.

I've made my belief clear that I do not believe that the Sox will draw enough interest in Dunn to trade him. I simply think he is far too limited as a player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
I think it depends on how many buyers we have in our market, the level of demand we have in solely left handed power, and whether teams are willing to accept substitutes for it.

For instance, assume that we solely have two packages of widgets, more widgets are better, and widgets are necessary. Package A has 10 widgets and package B has 5 widgets. Person A is willing to to pay 10 gold doubloons for widgets no matter what, while persons B and C are willing to pay 5 gold doubloons for widgets no matter what. Person A will end up with package A. That leaves package B has the only one available. It's not inconceivable for person B and/or C to increase their offer to make sure that they acquire some widgets.

But let's say that person C is also willing to substitude widgets with maggles. They can instead acquire this package of 10 maggles for their initial cost of 5 gold doubloons, which in turn means person B is still only willing to pay 5 gold doubloons for package B of widgets and thus, no increase in willingness to purchase the package.

I've made my belief clear that I do not believe that the Sox will draw enough interest in Dunn to trade him. I simply think he is far too limited as a player.

I edited my post to correct a major typo that changed my argument completely, lol.

But I think your analogy is in line with what I'm saying.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
I edited my post to correct a major typo that changed my argument completely, lol.

But I think your analogy is in line with what I'm saying.

I think were close, but if say the Red Sox and the Orioles both feel they need a left handed power bat and nothing but a left handed power bat, and Adam Dunn is the only one available, I think you could potentially see one or both increase what they are willing to give up (perhaps demanding the Sox pick up only $5 mill rather than $10 mill, or willing to give a better prospect, or whatever).

However, that's a pretty narrow scenario and I think both teams would attempt to find a substitute that offers more utility than Adam Dunn, even if it costs them more. There are going to be more left handed power bats available than Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)
I think were close, but if say the Red Sox and the Orioles both feel they need a left handed power bat and nothing but a left handed power bat, and Adam Dunn is the only one available, I think you could potentially see one or both increase what they are willing to give up (perhaps demanding the Sox pick up only $5 mill rather than $10 mill, or willing to give a better prospect, or whatever).

However, that's a pretty narrow scenario and I think both teams would attempt to find a substitute that offers more utility than Adam Dunn, even if it costs them more. There are going to be more left handed power bats available than Adam Dunn.

I was actually thinking the same thing as for desperate AL teams, but with the Yankees and Mariners. The Yankees paid 14M over 2 years for Vernon Wells last year in a desperate attempt for a power hitter. Dunn doesn't seem that out of the question. Cashman seems to love renting players in recent years as well.

The Mariners are also desperate for a power hitter and I don't see any of the big name guys going there unless the Mariners grossly overpay. They could be willing to settle on Dunn as a last ditch effort. They know they have to start competing with the pitching they have.

Not saying its at all likely, just that's its not out of the question and if there were to be any interest Hahn should definitely do his best to work out a reasonable deal if possible.

Let's say Dunn is likely to put up a .775 OPS. We'll also give a 10% chance that can be increased or decreased by 75 points either way (.850 or .700 OPS). We'll also say Garret Jones is likely to put up a .725 OPS, and that there's a 5% chance that can be increased by 75 points or a 15% chance that it can be decreased by 75 points. Dunn is going to cost, at the barest of minimums, a C level prospect and $5 million while Garret Jones can probably be had for $2-3 million with no prospect given up. If you are the Yankees or the Mariners or the Metropolis Somethings or the Gotham Hoozits, which one of them is more attractive in the interim? Overall, there's probably only going to be a difference in actual production of about 1 win while you are also going to more reasonably platoon Jones than you will Dunn (due to the costs involved).

Personally, I am going to take my chances on Jones every time. If he is putting up a .650 OPS and Dunn is at .850, and the offer is never rescinded (or is only altered slightly), I should theoretically be able to trade for Dunn later on.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Nov 25, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
With the Cards infield mostly being left-handed (Adams, Wong, Carpenter) and Mo during the press conference saying that he is looking to improve the bench, do you think the Sox would be able to possibly unload Keppinger on the Cards? Right handed bench bat capable of playing all three of those positions. Could possibly end up being a platoon player with Wong if he struggles early on.

Sure. I don't think the Sox feel there's a spot for him on this roster. However he's a great clubhouse guy and they need vet presence if konerko retires.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 08:12 PM)
Sox making serious inquiries about Saltalamachia.

Uh what? I don't see the sox having much communication with them at the moment. I could be wrong but they were not a team that popped out.

I don't think catcher upgrade is a huge priority right now.