Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Also, as a rebuilding team in a large market playing in a hitters park, we are actually a marquee landing spot for some of the best talented-but-underachieving players out there should we open up some more PAs. Any agent with a former top prospect client in need of playing time is going to try to direct his client to a situation exactly like ours. All we need are a couple guys & pretty soon we'll start looking like contenders again because we'll have the pitching.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
WTF is that bull? Like how he refused to play 1b last year when Konerko got hurt (oh wait he did, he was just really bad at it). Like how he spent the whole first month of the season being terrible because he was trying to do what the hitting coach asked him to do by swinging earlier in the count and putting the ball in play more (and then when he started being more patient suddenly started hitting HR again)?

He won't shorten his swing with 2 strikes IMO. That's the worst crime to me from a guy in the middle of the order. You gotta be a tough out.

I'm not advocating taking AB's away from Abreu, but does everyone realize that the Cuban National Series (where Abreu played) is only 90 games long? Abreu is probably going to need a rest every once in a while so he doesn't completely burn out in the second half.

And as for trading Dunn. The Baltimore Orioles are still the best trade partner IMO. They already have a fantastic 1-2 punch with Davis and Jones, so Dunn would not be leaned on heavily as a main power source and would probably hit no higher than 5th or 6th. Their DH is currently a combination of Danny Valencia and Steve Pearce. This is the same team that traded for Mike Morse, a guy who absolutely blew chunks last year. I'm sure Hahn could figure out.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
He won't shorten his swing with 2 strikes IMO. That's the worst crime to me from a guy in the middle of the order. You gotta be a tough out.

Except in April when he clearly was trying to do that...and it made him so much easier to strike out.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
Nobody is taking anything away from Abreu. Hahn's said this the whole time, and reiterated it again this morning. What are you not hearing?

Hahn says the guy will need some breaks. You're talking about someone who has never spent such a long season playing and having to do it against the toughest pitching in his life. He will be in there when he's performing, and if/when he hits a couple major snags ala Alexei Ramirez's April coming out of Cuba then he will get a breather. Let's not Hawkins this guy right out of the freakin gate for crimminey christ.

At least with Konerko and Dunn, people can make the excuse that they're "part time players". James Loney, being put in at 1b? Come on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
At least with Konerko and Dunn, people can make the excuse that they're "part time players". James Loney, being put in at 1b? Come on.

Loney hit .299/.348/.430 last year with the Rays in the AL East. He's a lefty bat, plays D at 1B, makes contact (77 K in 549 PA) and he's 30 next year. A 2-3 year stopgap who doesn't cost a draft pick? Nice bridge piece IMO.

I mean he adds balance at low cost, not a big name, no draft pick, no need to deal a prospect.... sounds really like the kind of player Hahn seems to be pursuing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Except in April when he clearly was trying to do that...and it made him so much easier to strike out.

Was it April when he decided to use a new approach? Because in June he had his best BB% (17.8%), his lowest K% (22.2%), hit .274, his best OBP (.402), and his OPS was nearly 1.000 for the month, and hit 9 HR with 24 RBI. It was clearly his best month last year, and probably his best month in many years.

Did he try anything different in June and July? I can't remember, but those were his best months (maybe the weather played a role in that too).

EDIT: It was at the beginning of the year when he tried his new approach of swinging early in the count. I wonder what he changed in June and July then. Just random good luck?

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
Loney hit .299/.348/.430 last year with the Rays in the AL East. He's a lefty bat, plays D at 1B, makes contact (77 K in 549 PA) and he's 30 next year. A 2-3 year stopgap who doesn't cost a draft pick? Nice bridge piece IMO.

I mean he adds balance at low cost, not a big name, no draft pick, no need to deal a prospect.... sounds really like the kind of player Hahn seems to be pursuing.

At any position other than 1b? Let's talk.

At the same position the most important player on our roster plays? No. That's why I hate the Konerko signing so much. Throw in a guy who isn't obviously a part time/platoon player at the same position? My god no. Please no. I beg of you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
At any position other than 1b? Let's talk.

At the same position the most important player on our roster plays? No. That's why I hate the Konerko signing so much. Throw in a guy who isn't obviously a part time/platoon player at the same position? My god no. Please no. I beg of you.

Hahn has made it clear that the development of Abreu and Avisail is the most important aspect of next year's offense. You don't have to worry about anyone taking anything away from him. I'm just throwing s*** at the wall re: Loney as a stopgap IF the Sox think Abreu is more of a DH.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 06:03 PM)
Hahn has made it clear that the development of Abreu and Avisail is the most important aspect of next year's offense. You don't have to worry about anyone taking anything away from him. I'm just throwing s*** at the wall re: Loney as a stopgap IF the Sox think Abreu is more of a DH.

I'm already worried about it thanks to signing another RH hitting 1b who has veteran credentials.

If they think Abreu is more of a DH...play him at 1b anyway. What's the harm? Worst case scenario is we lose an extra game because of his defense. Oh well.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)

I have to admit I like the idea and agree with everything you say. Problem is Dunn. If he was moved it would work just fine. Super-sub Paulie can get his ab's giving Abreu and Lonely rest here and there and the plan would remain the same as it is with Dunn. Yes we take a hit on the HR's but gain in average, obp, better defense and less strikeouts, all of which is what this team needs from that position. Good call.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)

I was all for signing Loney before we signed Abreu and took a lot of heat for it. But you just can't carry 4 1st baseman. We've been arguing about the versatility since PK was resigned . You'd have no reserve outfielder or IF who can play mulitple positions. Find someone like Loney who is an OF or IF then great.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 08:47 PM)
Abreu says hello.

I would think that he meant now that we already have 3 of them.

I would put the odds of the Sox choosing to add a 4th at 0%. Adding low ceiling 1st baseman who's had 2 good years in his last 5 to a multi year deal is the least likely thing the Sox will do, as it should be.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
I would think that he meant now that we already have 3 of them.

I would put the odds of the Sox choosing to add a 4th at 0%. Adding low ceiling 1st baseman who's had 2 good years in his last 5 to a multi year deal is the least likely thing the Sox will do, as it should be.

Oh, I agree. As I said before Dunn would have to be moved before trying to sign Lonely. I still believe Loney could help this team more than Dunn.

Does anyone think we could be total dark horse to go after Choo? There's maybe no other hitter who's talents most perfectly hit what we need and he's better than any OF free agent next year. It's free agency, so it's an ultimately an overpay, but the salary obligations after this year are virtually nothing. Plus, the Yankees, Dodgers, and Angels don't figure to be in on the bidding. Consider also that we don't have a legit outfielder who has shown they can even hit at AA.

I don't think anyone here would complain about Choo's defense in center compared to De Aza, and as soon as next year (or further down the road) he can move to left with Tank going to DH. He's only 30 (2 years younger than Granderson) and seems like the kind of guy who's offensive value isn't going to totally deteriorate as he can be moved along the defensive spectrum from CF to corner to DH if need be.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 10:13 PM)
100+ million dollar contract + Tigers and possibly Rangers are in the bidding. My guess is no.

That's my guess too.

But if there's any player on the market that really fits our long term needs and has a good shot at actually coming close to earning his contract I'd peg Choo at maybe #1. Ellsbury and McCann (and Cano because of those years and dollars) seem like prime candidates not to. A disproportionate amount of Ellsbury's value comes from his speed which you can expect to evaporate over those last years. I think Choo will be a more valuable player over the next 7 years. Any catcher not named A.J. you can expect get dinged up and spend some time on the DL, which McCann is already no stranger to. And what were you going to do, give him a 6th year? Or more $$ than the Yankees?

He'll cost a ton but if there's any player I could see us making an under the radar push for, I can't think of anyone who makes more sense. If the Mariners can find $250 million.....

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 08:34 PM)
That's my guess too.

But if there's any player on the market that really fits our long term needs and has a good shot at actually coming close to earning his contract I'd peg Choo at maybe #1. Ellsbury and McCann (and Cano because of those years and dollars) seem like prime candidates not to. A disproportionate amount of Ellsbury's value comes from his speed which you can expect to evaporate over those last years. I think Choo will be a more valuable player over the next 7 years. Any catcher not named A.J. you can expect get dinged up and spend some time on the DL, which McCann is already no stranger to. And what were you going to do, give him a 6th year? Or more $$ than the Yankees?

He'll cost a ton but if there's any player I could see us making an under the radar push for, I can't think of anyone who makes more sense. If the Mariners can find $250 million.....

Found this over at MLBTR...

"Choo may receive a deal that's nearly as large as Ellsbury’s $153MM pact, some executives believe. The Rangers, Mariners, Tigers and Reds appear to be likely landing spots, though some officials tell Rosenthal that the Giants and Astros could also get involved"

That's going to be a hell of a contract.

1) Choo is a bad CFer already, now, near the prime of his career....imagine in Years 3-4-5 of the deal, we'd still be looking for a CF

2) Granderson's contract tells you that Choo will probably get at least five years, which isn't tenable for the White Sox to be paying someone that kind of money at age 35/36 for such an athletic position (CF, for Choo)

3) Garcia and Choo are similar players defensively, and both natural RFers

4) You're buying Choo at his highest possible value, and those numbers came in the NL....for whatever reason, players who've had great years in the NL just haven't translated that success as well into the AL, although the talent gap is shrinking overall between the two leagues

5) In the most rosy or optimistic scenario you're paying $125 million over 5 years...JR's just not the kind of owner to shell out that kind of contract (over $100 million) for a player who's not part of the White Sox family

Edited by caulfield12