Ryan Braun

SoIL

Per Rotoworld. Interesting stuff. If they are willing to take Ike Davis, I wonder if they would take Adan Dunn. Not sure having a steroid user is good for the club, but he does have some talent.

Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog.com was told by "people familiar with the team’s thinking" that there is a better chance of the Brewers trading Ryan Braun for Ike Davis than Norichika Aoki.

Well, that's something. Cerrone adds that the Brewers are willing to pay "a good chunk" of the $113 million remaining on Braun's contract to force a change of scenery in the aftermath of his PED suspension. We're skeptical of the reasoning in general and many teams would likely jump at the opportunity to acquire Braun at a discount after his transgressions, so this scenario is a long, long way from becoming a reality.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoIL @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
Per Rotoworld. Interesting stuff. If they are willing to take Ike Davis, I wonder if they would take Adan Dunn. Not sure having a steroid user is good for the club, but he does have some talent.

Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog.com was told by "people familiar with the team's thinking" that there is a better chance of the Brewers trading Ryan Braun for Ike Davis than Norichika Aoki.

Well, that's something. Cerrone adds that the Brewers are willing to pay "a good chunk" of the $113 million remaining on Braun's contract to force a change of scenery in the aftermath of his PED suspension. We're skeptical of the reasoning in general and many teams would likely jump at the opportunity to acquire Braun at a discount after his transgressions, so this scenario is a long, long way from becoming a reality.

I call 100% BS, but if it's true sign me up.

A lot would have to depend on what any team who trades for him think his mental bounce-back will be. I definitely believe that PEDs help, but I also think that help is limited, so I expect him to have the potential to be a productive player still, especially if a sizeable chunk of the 113 is absorbed by the Brewers.

However, he is going to have a ton of spotlight on him from ST day one. He hasn't shown the greatest track record of dealing with things, so that is a major gamble.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
I wouldn't even trade Tyler Flowers for him straight up. The Brewers can keep that cheating clown.

I understand where you're coming from as a fan, but I'm continually shocked at how often people on this site value the personal likability of players over winning. I'm not judging you for it, just saying it surprises me.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
I understand where you're coming from as a fan, but I'm continually shocked at how often people on this site value the personal likability of players over winning. I'm not judging you for it, just saying it surprises me.

When it's "Konerko deserves to go out on his own terms" or "Santiago is such a great guy", I kinda eye roll those type of things.

With Braun, he's a despicable human being. The Brewers gave him his money. They can keep him.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
He's a douchebag that handled a stressful situation terribly. Whatever. Doesn't change that fact that his lowest OPS+ ever was 131. If the Brew Crew throw in a bunch of cash and the teams stash it for the end of the deal he is going to make someone very happy. You don't get superstars at a discount for no reason and yes I understand he'll probably have a dip in production.

There's a line I don't want the Sox to cross. I didn't like when they got Canseco and Manny. I don't want Braun no matter what. And yes, I'm sure we've all rooted for Sox players that juiced over the years, but I still wouldn't want the Sox to acquire players that have dirty records--especially how Braun's situation developed.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
He's a douchebag that handled a stressful situation terribly. Whatever. Doesn't change that fact that his lowest OPS+ ever was 131. If the Brew Crew throw in a bunch of cash and the teams stash it for the end of the deal he is going to make someone very happy. You don't get superstars at a discount for no reason and yes I understand he'll probably have a dip in production.

The question is, are you willing to bet $110+ million on where that production will be with no steroids?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
Just so it's said, I'd hate cheering for him to the point that I'd consume significantly less baseball. That'd be real good motivation to cancel my extra innings package.

I'd hate to lose you as a fan, but don't let the door hit you on the way out! ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
The question is, are you willing to bet $110+ million on where that production will be with no steroids?

I say yes, because the pre-suspension version of Braun VASTLY overproduced that pay rate. He's been a 7-8 WAR player being paid like a 4 WAR player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
Just so it's said, I'd hate cheering for him to the point that I'd consume significantly less baseball. That'd be real good motivation to cancel my extra innings package.

I don't like him either, but man talk about a move that could speed up a rebuild...