NYC Sends Gun Confiscation Notice

DukeNukeEm

That is a completely wrong statement that could be tweaked to at least be less immediately refutable. We have quite obviously improved our existence over the centuries and it was more than mere accident that it happened.

That I attribute much more to advances in technology than social engineering projects that reside purely in a land of theory and the isolated test tube of academia. Think Pruitt-Igoe.

I can go down this tangent because this is about NYC... but what happened? Id been many times but never for an extended stay, fly in, drive through, I went out of my way once a few years ago to go way out of my way on a drug fueled road trip up the East Coast to cross the Verrazano Bridge and go through Brooklyn... but until pretty recently I never stopped there. Never saw it.

Id heard it was crazy. Like anything goes all the time, if you wanted something (legal or not) you could get it on a street corner at any time of day or night. Like a big, English-speaking Nuevo Laredo. Cool, I like that even if I lost interest in drugs and never been much for hookers. The characters that atmosphere attracts give a place a real charm.

New York was nothing like that. Sure its a physical spectacle but other than that its bland. Too much modern sterilization, everything is just so overly inviting I felt turned off. I dont like rampant murder, but a little grit goes a long way. New York has none, not even Brooklyn (the Bronx had some moments but it was more blight than anything). What the hell happened? I keep up with s***. I thought all the soda ban nonsense was just news because some lily suburb would follow precedent and the obedient serfs who dwelled there would dare not defy. But no, New Yorkers--these big proud people from a massive city who didnt take s***--just take it. Its no more fun and interesting than Aurora, its a big vertical commercial wasteland that inspires nothing but disgust.

If there ever was a people that need to feel the power of a nice .308 rifle in their hands its New Yorkers. They need liberation.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)
That I attribute much more to advances in technology than social engineering projects that reside purely in a land of theory and the isolated test tube of academia. Think Pruitt-Igoe.

I can go down this tangent because this is about NYC... but what happened? Id been many times but never for an extended stay, fly in, drive through, I went out of my way once a few years ago to go way out of my way on a drug fueled road trip up the East Coast to cross the Verrazano Bridge and go through Brooklyn... but until pretty recently I never stopped there. Never saw it.

Id heard it was crazy. Like anything goes all the time, if you wanted something (legal or not) you could get it on a street corner at any time of day or night. Like a big, English-speaking Nuevo Laredo. Cool, I like that even if I lost interest in drugs and never been much for hookers. The characters that atmosphere attracts give a place a real charm.

New York was nothing like that. Sure its a physical spectacle but other than that its bland. Too much modern sterilization, everything is just so overly inviting I felt turned off. I dont like rampant murder, but a little grit goes a long way. New York has none, not even Brooklyn (the Bronx had some moments but it was more blight than anything). What the hell happened? I keep up with s***. I thought all the soda ban nonsense was just news because some lily suburb would follow precedent and the obedient serfs who dwelled there would dare not defy. But no, New Yorkers--these big proud people from a massive city who didnt take s***--just take it. Its no more fun and interesting than Aurora, its a big vertical commercial wasteland that inspires nothing but disgust.

If there ever was a people that need to feel the power of a nice .308 rifle in their hands its New Yorkers. They need liberation.

Yeah, that's pretty creepy.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 06:38 PM)
I dont care about mass shootings at all. If that level of tragedy is too much for us to bear we've gone completely soft. Lightning kills more people. Maybe we should ban lightning.

It is insane that people like you are allowed to have guns.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 05:59 AM)
Reminds me of Ayn rand's journal where she expressed admiration for this guy who was killing children. I.e. sociopathic.

You beat me to it. Was just going to throw out "sociopath". Sort of feel bad for Duke.

Really? Im the sociopath?

Not the rest of you who cause a cable news gaper's block everytime someone shoots up a public place? Or your obsessions with who has the highest "score". Theres a reason cable TV cant get enough of these shootings, its because America loves it.

Thats almost as bad as the Balta's and SS' who want these shootings to keep getting worse so their political agenda can be expedited. Dont even try to deny this... its so f***ing clear whenever the story is reposted somewhere. You think "Only two hurt? No dead? Well that wont get sympathy from anyone". But I'm the sociopath.

I am ambivalent. I just dont care anymore. If the shootings stop, great... if they dont, great. Just keep your hands off my guns.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
I am ambivalent. I just dont care anymore. If the shootings stop, great... if they dont, great. Just keep your hands off my guns.

And there you go. You don't care how many people die, your guns are more important to you.

Sickening.

Anyone else who calls himself or herself a "responsible gun owner"...this is why I don't believe you guys. Because people like this say the same thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)
And there you go. You don't care how many people die, your guns are more important to you.

Sickening.

Anyone else who calls himself or herself a "responsible gun owner"...this is why I don't believe you guys. Because people like this say the same thing.

:lol:

Because one idiot speaks for for everyone apparently!

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)

One idiot...with as many guns as he wants.

Help me change that problem and then we can talk about responsibility. Until then...no, I don't believe you when you say you're responsible, because any reaction other than "This man should not be armed" is flat out irresponsible.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)

Uh yeah my grandfather, father-in-law, brother-in-law and several friends all own firearms. My friends go trap shooting, and my grandfather used to hunt, but otherwise the guns are locked up somewhere.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)

Help me change that problem and then we can talk about responsibility. Until then...no, I don't believe you when you say you're responsible, because any reaction other than "This man should not be armed" is flat out irresponsible.

Whether or not duke should be armed doesn't really say anything about whether some other random gun owner is responsible, though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)

Why even have a discussion when one person's statements cloud your opinion so heavily you refuse to listen or acknowledge what any one who disagrees with you might have to say? That's pretty ridiculous.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:27 AM)
Really? Im the sociopath?

Not the rest of you who cause a cable news gaper's block everytime someone shoots up a public place? Or your obsessions with who has the highest "score". Theres a reason cable TV cant get enough of these shootings, its because America loves it.

Thats almost as bad as the Balta's and SS' who want these shootings to keep getting worse so their political agenda can be expedited. Dont even try to deny this... its so f***ing clear whenever the story is reposted somewhere. You think "Only two hurt? No dead? Well that wont get sympathy from anyone". But I'm the sociopath.

Oh man you got me, I'm always hoping more people die for my political agenda!

Oddly enough, my position isn't very close to balta on guns.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
Whether or not duke should be armed doesn't really say anything about whether some other random gun owner is responsible, though.

I'd say part of responsibility is making sure that people who shouldn't have them...can't get them. You keep your guns locked up so your kids can't get them...great...but then you let people like that get their hands on them? What's the point, just give them to your kids. Works just as well.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)

I'm a gun owner. I'm responsible. They are locked up and I am the only person who knows the password. The ammunition isn't even in the same spot as the firearms. It's stupid and irresponsbile to pass judgement on everyone based on what one person with a history of ludicrous statements has to say

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
I'd say part of responsibility is making sure that people who shouldn't have them...can't get them. You keep your guns locked up so your kids can't get them...great...but then you let people like that get their hands on them? What's the point, just give them to your kids. Works just as well.

You have a PhD. I can not fathom how you can actually believe what you just typed.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
Why even have a discussion when one person's statements cloud your opinion so heavily you refuse to listen or acknowledge what any one who disagrees with you might have to say? That's pretty ridiculous.

Because that person has the ability to kill in a split second.

He's a great example of what I think of when I think of a "responsible gun owner". He will call himself that. He will not call himself irresponsible, and the law as it stands right now agrees.

You want to prove to me that there is such a thing? You should be cracking down on people like that. You want to know why I don't believe you when you say you're responsible? Because you're not cracking down on him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
You have a PhD. I can not fathom how you can actually believe what you just typed.

If all you had done was read everything he'd posted on this subject from this site...would you let your kids go over to his house?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)

He's a great example of what I think of when I think of a "responsible gun owner". He will call himself that. He will not call himself irresponsible, and the law as it stands right now agrees.

You want to prove to me that there is such a thing? You should be cracking down on people like that. You want to know why I don't believe you when you say you're responsible? Because you're not cracking down on him.

So do you. And me. And the next guy.

Also, he does not equal me, or you, or the next guy.

Forgive me. I guess I should be berating him on a message board or doing an IP search so I can go to his house and monitor him to make sure he is being a responsible gun owner for you. I'll try to crack down on him a little harder from 1500 miles away.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
So do you. And me. And the next guy.

Also, he does not equal me, or you, or the next guy.

Forgive me. I guess I should be berating him on a message board or doing an IP search so I can go to his house and monitor him to make sure he is being a responsible gun owner for you. I'll try to crack down on him a little harder from 1500 miles away.

No.

You should be helping me support policies that keep people like him from developing their own private arsenal.

You've heard of one person spoiling it for everyone? It's right there.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:16 AM)
I wouldn't let my kids go over to your house either. What's your point?

Well, that's pretty sad if you won't let your kids play with kids of a person because of their politics. I'd happily let kids if I had any do so with Republicans, I have Republican friends, but I wouldn't want them going to a place with loaded guns lying around.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)

Cracking down on him for what? You want thought police now? What has he done, besides get under your skin and decide that he doesn't 'care' the same way you do?