NYC Sends Gun Confiscation Notice

DukeNukeEm

I'm going to take your word for it, because that'd be a strange thing to lie about.

But none of you others start taking ownership of what Quinarvy did. I know that's going to be your gut reaction, rally around the herd, but you're going after myself the individual and you better have the balls to do it as individuals.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 04:55 AM)
I'm going to take your word for it, because that'd be a strange thing to lie about.

But none of you others start taking ownership of what Quinarvy did. I know that's going to be your gut reaction, rally around the herd, but you're going after myself the individual and you better have the balls to do it as individuals.

What a depressing outlook you have. If I don't send some teddy bears, I don't care about those kids? And it must be a political thing? That is just beyond warped. Politics is the last thing on my mind when I see these school shootings.

And I can care about a lot of things - most people do - without investing time in every single one of them. I've done mission work in Haiti, I've volunteered in a number of charity or related organizations, I donate significant money every year to a number of them... and more than anything, I try to be the guy who helps the old lady out of her car. Little stuff every day. All that is expression of caring about strangers. But because I don't do anything for some one specific thing, that means I don't care? Sorry but that is ridiculous.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
How many people in this thread actually baked some cookies or wrote a letter to those families? Show of hands, come on. Let's see some proof of this empathy.

I know none of you did. Know how I figured that.

Name the dude who shot up the school. Now name one kid who died in the shooting. Right.

The fact is nobody cares about the kids. You care about the horror, the spectacle, the villian, the story... but in the end the victims just last in your mind as a number. If you actually cared you'd do something about it, not just b**** and whine. You'd help someone affected, you'd make an effort that maybe required some sacrifice on your part. That's what caring is, folks. You invest yourself in something, what the f*** have any of you pretending to be on some moral high ground invested in the aftermath of that tragedy? Some posts on a message board? A conversation at work or amongst friends? Essentially nothing. Just like me. Face up and admit it, this is a political issue for you and has been since you first heard about it. Cut the bulls*** for once.

Lol OK.

So I shouldn't own guns because of my opinions. Alright, I'll ball.

How are you supposed to take them away? Where's your warrant to break in and take them? Or does the 4A no longer apply to me because I hold the wrong opinions? Might as well skip the trial, torture a confession out of me then strap a gag order over my face for life. Because I don't deserve rights since I don't agree with Balta.

This hints at a larger issue that these collectivist state worshippers really don't believe in rights. I mean, if you're a perfectly law abiding tax paying citizen who is content just sitting in a cubicle all day being ultra productive that's fine. He has rights because he's already under control. He's a good little slave and since he's been so good you'll hand him the illusion that he can do what he wants, knowing full well the most he'll do is maybe get a DUI. The state and its corporate f***-buddies still come out way ahead.

The real reason you don't want me having rights is because I'm not so easily controlled. And I know what I'm saying here speaks to everyone here on a level you aren't willing to admit to. So label me an angry nutjob and hopefully you can defame my character enough to discredit what I actually have to say. Because these thoughts, that all of us have, are absolutely fatal to your political ideology of control and repression.

You sound like BP after that rig blew up in the Gulf. Tip: come up with something independent that you didn't glean from Upworthy of some other liberal cliche generator. This reads like a corporate PR team loading up on the buzz words the public loves in anticipation of releasing it as a Hallmark "I'm sorry" card after they get caught pumping mercury into the water supply.

This is all absurd. Name me the hijackers of the 9/11 planes. Or the thousands of Americans who died that day. Did you sign up for the armed forces to defeat our enemies? No? Oh, well you must not care and you hate your country.

I think I understand your general point (as with most of your other posts) despite your pretty clear misunderstanding of the definition of "care." I can agree with you that often times people use tragedies to further their own agendas and/or they act with faux outrage so that they SEEM like they care more than they really do. I accuse people of that all the time with their white guilt when it comes to racial issues. And we live through that all the time here in Chicago with all of the violence that continues despite so many people "caring" about it.

But Sandy Hook? Really? You don't think people care about that? That they're not concerned about that? People care about a gunman going into a school full of helpless children and murdering them. People recognize that's a tragedy that should not happen in a civilized world. People don't need to know the victims personally or provide charity to prove that they care and understand how horrible that was for those kids and their families and their community.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Some people care about different things. Some people care (a lot) that when innocent children are murdered with guns that the government will come and take their guns. So they donate to the NRA and argue with people who believe the constitution calls for a well regulated militia. Others say a prayer. Hold their own children a little closer. Write letters to their elected leaders, teach gun safety, whatever. There are a lot of different ways to show you care, and a lot of different things to care about.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
So I shouldn't own guns because of my opinions.

I believe the assertion is your posts make it seem that you have anger issues and are a homophobic, racist person who blindly hates some people based on religion, skin pigmentation, and driving habits. In short, factors that could cause you to suddenly start shooting. There are a number of people here with conservative opinions that it has never been mentioned they shouldn't be permitted to own a gun. The simple fact that you can't even understand what the reasons are against you probably also adds to the reasons why.

What does this mean exactly? Do you pick and choose which laws you want to follow?

You do too. We all do. We've had over 500 people working full time to make more laws since 1789. They've done a lot, we break laws every day with or without knowing.

(I've had an awful bit of luck the past few days, hence the delay in response).

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)
You do too. We all do. We've had over 500 people working full time to make more laws since 1789. They've done a lot, we break laws every day with or without knowing.

You driving through some of the icy patches? Stay safe out there, it's pretty gnarly in Chicagoland today.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)

So your definition of not being "so easily controlled" is that you do the same thing everyone else does?

So your definition of not being "so easily controlled" is that you do the same thing everyone else does?

I'm all beat up because Kalashnikov died. The point I'm kinda trying to make here (or was, its been a while) is were a bit to eager to tell others what to do while generally ignoring those some laws ourselves.

Wasn't quite sure where to go put this story...here is as good a place as any....

Robber's family upset customer shot robber......

adric white robbery

The family members of a robbery suspect that held a store employee at gunpoint in Alabama are lashing out at the Good Samaritan who shot him and stopped the robbery.

Adric White, 18, was shot five times after he allegedly tried to hold up a Family Dollar store in Mobile on Nov. 12.

FOX10 spoke exclusively to both the unnamed Good Samaritan and the family members of White. They're livid that their son was shot while pointing a gun in someone's face.

“If [the customer's] life was not in danger, if no one had a gun up to him, if no one pointed a gun at him - what gives him the right to think that it's okay to just shoot someone?” a relative, who wished to remain anonymous, told FOX10. “You should have just left the store and went wherever you had to go in your car or whatever.”

But when the suspect pulled out a gun at about 5:30 p.m., the Good Samaritan did too.

“He had the gun to his head. He had him on his knees,” said the Good Samaritan, who wished to remain anonymous. “I drew my gun on him and I said 'Hey don't move.' At that point he swung around and before he had a chance to aim the gun at me I fired. I didn’t want to shoot him.”

The man shot White five times. He was taken to USA Medical Center, where he remains in police custody.

The local news station had previously interviewed White's parents, but they called later demanding that the video not be aired.

White was out of jail on bond after previously robbing The Original Oyster House at gunpoint just a little over a month before he robbed the Family Dollar.

Accomplice Tavoris Moss, 19, was also arrested in the Family Dollar robbery.

“[Criminals] tend to think that they are the only ones with guns," the Good Samaritan told the station. "I’ve been legally carrying my firearm for a little over four years now, and thank God I’ve never had to use it until, of course, last night. It just goes to show it's good to have a concealed carry. You never know when your going to need it.”

Police said that the Good Samaritan who opened fire was justified and broke no laws.

QUOTE (juddling @ Dec 28, 2013 -> 06:54 AM)
Wasn't quite sure where to go put this story...here is as good a place as any....

Robber's family upset customer shot robber......

adric white robbery

The family members of a robbery suspect that held a store employee at gunpoint in Alabama are lashing out at the Good Samaritan who shot him and stopped the robbery.

Adric White, 18, was shot five times after he allegedly tried to hold up a Family Dollar store in Mobile on Nov. 12.

FOX10 spoke exclusively to both the unnamed Good Samaritan and the family members of White. They're livid that their son was shot while pointing a gun in someone's face.

“If [the customer's] life was not in danger, if no one had a gun up to him, if no one pointed a gun at him - what gives him the right to think that it's okay to just shoot someone?” a relative, who wished to remain anonymous, told FOX10. “You should have just left the store and went wherever you had to go in your car or whatever.”

But when the suspect pulled out a gun at about 5:30 p.m., the Good Samaritan did too.

“He had the gun to his head. He had him on his knees,” said the Good Samaritan, who wished to remain anonymous. “I drew my gun on him and I said 'Hey don't move.' At that point he swung around and before he had a chance to aim the gun at me I fired. I didn’t want to shoot him.”

The man shot White five times. He was taken to USA Medical Center, where he remains in police custody.

The local news station had previously interviewed White's parents, but they called later demanding that the video not be aired.

White was out of jail on bond after previously robbing The Original Oyster House at gunpoint just a little over a month before he robbed the Family Dollar.

Accomplice Tavoris Moss, 19, was also arrested in the Family Dollar robbery.

“[Criminals] tend to think that they are the only ones with guns," the Good Samaritan told the station. "I’ve been legally carrying my firearm for a little over four years now, and thank God I’ve never had to use it until, of course, last night. It just goes to show it's good to have a concealed carry. You never know when your going to need it.”

Police said that the Good Samaritan who opened fire was justified and broke no laws.

In a perfect world i would like to think that newspapers and such give these families opportunity to decry their criminal offspring's death so that we can see just how f***ed up of a family that they came from, where they would be pissed that someone fought back against their gansta offspring. However I fear that they report this to try in some warped way to make guns and responsible gun owners look bad. If you are to believe that family, that bystander should have just walked on and ignored the fact that an innocent clerk had a gun to his head by a robber, simply because it wasn't at HIS head. And I am sure there are more than a few posters here that agree with that sentiment. Can you imagine the guilt you would feel if you found out the next morning that he was shot dead, all because you didn't do something? I hope it is less than the joy you would feel over not having used a gun to save a life. I hope people like White and his family just stop procreating. Darwin can't catch up to them fast enough. Wonder if some anti gun group will try and out the samaritan.....

Because people waving guns around in stores are totally not a threat to anyone. This is just a new twist on "HENDIDNTDONOTHING" with the vain hope that they can make a lot of money by turning into a race/guns issue a la Trayvon. It won't work, obviously.

In Alabama, that guy was justified in doing what he did. I don't think anyone is debating that. That family is just doing their typical blind loyalty my child was a saint routine. They should just be happy he's dealing with bullet holes and not burying him. What kind of gun did that guy have someone could survive 5 shots? A mosquito?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 12:32 AM)
If you are to believe that family, that bystander should have just walked on and ignored the fact that an innocent clerk had a gun to his head by a robber, simply because it wasn't at HIS head. And I am sure there are more than a few posters here that agree with that sentiment.

I’d be surprised if anyone here did agree with that.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
Duke, come on now man. That's just ridiculous.

He's actually correct on this.

To be clear, firing a gun at someone is virtually always considered Use of Deadly Force, from a legal standpoint. But more people survive than die when they've been shot. By a lot.

What's also amazing is how bad most people are, especially with pistols, at hitting the intended target. Even at close range.

Because handguns are tough to shoot if you're rushed, try hurriedly mag dumping a .45 and see how well you do. You might graze your target once or twice. Honestly, if someone tried breaking into my truck my (shiny, new self purchased Duke Christmas present) Sig p220 would be more effective at very loudly scaring them away. The chances of me hitting them even in confined quarters are slim.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
Because handguns are tough to shoot if you're rushed, try hurriedly mag dumping a .45 and see how well you do. You might graze your target once or twice. Honestly, if someone tried breaking into my truck my (shiny, new self purchased Duke Christmas present) Sig p220 would be more effective at very loudly scaring them away. The chances of me hitting them even in confined quarters are slim.

That's part of it. I'd suggest it is a lot more than a mechanical or technique issue though. I think instinctively, most people don't want to kill other people, even if they feel justified in doing so. Psychologically it is just very diffifult to do, and I think that comes into play, along with fear, unsteady hands, lack of training, usually little or no experience in the situation, and just plain using an inaccurate tool.

And for the record, I've actually got a fair amount of experience with a variety of handguns, and I've had formal training. Never the real deal though, thankfully. Even with all that, I doubt I'd fair well if it came down to it. One of the fun stats from the FBI I once read, was that not only are people horribly inaccurate even at close range, but people with substantial training only fair slightly better than those without.

I've tried simulating it at the range. Just get myself in a panicked frame of mind and work from scratch. There were times I could even turn the safety off or chamber a round without f***ing up. Its just hard to do with a handgun, ergonomics have come a long way to make it easier but you still feel like you could drop it in a nasty situation.

I honestly should've just bought a glock considering this toy is for self defense primarily, but oh god that glorious German craftsmanship and .45 ACP won me over.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)

I have to wonder how many people in the "somebody just broke into my store, better whip out that gun" situation have ever fired a firearm