NYC Sends Gun Confiscation Notice

DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 31, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
I have to wonder how many people in the "somebody just broke into my store, better whip out that gun" situation have ever fired a firearm

I'd imagine many have "fired a firearm". I'd also imagine almost none of them have fired it at a person. Key differentiation.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then we need to open more gun ranges and have more gun classes. But with the guvmint making ammo so expensive and ever increasing rules, regs and restrictions on ranges, they make it harder for people to be responsible gun owners.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
That's part of it. I'd suggest it is a lot more than a mechanical or technique issue though. I think instinctively, most people don't want to kill other people, even if they feel justified in doing so.

I wrote a couple papers that compared Revolutionary War to Civil War casualties. Conventional wisdom is that the Civil War weapons were more accurate resulting in greater kills. I offered a thesis that the reason deaths were so much higher during the Civil War wasn't accuracy to range of the weapons, (something most paper ignored) but that the long range accuracy made it possible to shoot someone without "seeing the whites of their eyes".

Basically at the range that the Revolutionary War was fought the weapons of the day were as accurate as Civil War weapons for the range that war was fought at.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
I'm thinking of buying a handgun. Maybe a 9mm Barretta. Advice from the more knowledgeable gun owners out there greatly appreciated.

What is your purpose? CCW? If so, that might be a little too big.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
Are you asking people what they think of the Beretta? I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking.

Yeah, in regards to how easy it is to use compared to other handguns. A know I don't want a revolver.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
Yeah, in regards to how easy it is to use compared to other handguns. A know I don't want a revolver.

Glocks are pretty easy to use, however there is no safety. Beretta IMO is bulkier. You can put a bullet directly into the chamber and it's ready to fire.

You can't really go wrong with glock IMO. If you have kids though, the no safety might be a deal breaker.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
Glocks are pretty easy to use, however there is no safety. Beretta IMO is bulkier. You can put a bullet directly into the chamber and it's ready to fire.

You can't really go wrong with glock IMO. If you have kids though, the no safety might be a deal breaker.

Yeah, what this guy said. The Glocks are pretty reliable and they have several styles depending on how big your hand is so you can get one that fits right. but beware, they come with those evil assault clips that hold 17 rounds. They have a new Glock coming out in a .380, but I haven't heard much about it yet.

For home protection get a shotgun. Mossberg or Remington 870 would be perfect. Won't go through walls, great effect and it's a billion times easier to aim if you actually need to use it. You don't want to go pouring 9mm rounds through drywall, that's how bad things happen.

If you absolutely must go handgun I very highly recommend the .45 Sig. I own one myself, lovely little thing.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
For home protection get a shotgun. Mossberg or Remington 870 would be perfect. Won't go through walls, great effect and it's a billion times easier to aim if you actually need to use it. You don't want to go pouring 9mm rounds through drywall, that's how bad things happen.

If you absolutely must go handgun I very highly recommend the .45 Sig. I own one myself, lovely little thing.

This is actually very good advice. A novice or a person that is simply nervous or aiming at a moving target is liable to unload a clip and not hit anyone. You won't miss with an unchoked shotgun

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
This is actually very good advice. A novice or a person that is simply nervous or aiming at a moving target is liable to unload a clip and not hit anyone. You won't miss with an unchoked shotgun

This is also what I have heard from very knowledgeable people.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
Yeah, what this guy said. The Glocks are pretty reliable and they have several styles depending on how big your hand is so you can get one that fits right. but beware, they come with those evil assault clips that hold 17 rounds. They have a new Glock coming out in a .380, but I haven't heard much about it yet.

I've only seen them with 10 rounds max.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)

PLus, EVERYONE knows the sound of a shotgun being 'pumped' for action. That alone is enough to scare some people into just turning around and leaving fast.

Wow, I never even considered a shotgun, will check into that. The weapon will be for me and my wife so obviously it will have to be something she can handle. I'll also look into glocks and a .45 Sig Sauer. Needless to say, I'm a novice, only reason why I can identify some weapons is because I'm a Call Of Duty junkie, lol. Went last week to a gunshop here in San Antonio and I must say the AK 74U felt pretty awesome but that's way over my league of expertise. Gonna do the whole responsible gun owner deal, take gun handling lessons and what not.

Anyways, great advice everyone, thanks.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
Wow, I never even considered a shotgun, will check into that. The weapon will be for me and my wife so obviously it will have to be something she can handle. I'll also look into glocks and a .45 Sig Sauer. Needless to say, I'm a novice, only reason why I can identify some weapons is because I'm a Call Of Duty junkie, lol. Went last week to a gunshop here in San Antonio and I must say the AK 74U felt pretty awesome but that's way over my league of expertise. Gonna do the whole responsible gun owner deal, take gun handling lessons and what not.

Anyways, great advice everyone, thanks.

Just know that once you become a gun owner, you'll immediately be considered a crazed vigilante. Also, don't cross paths with Balta. He'll run away in fear that you'll shoot him for no reason.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Just know that once you become a gun owner, you'll immediately be considered a crazed vigilante. Also, don't cross paths with Balta. He'll run away in fear that you'll shoot him for no reason.

Nice derailment there.