Fister? Damn near traded her!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
I could see Krol replacing Smyly

I take forever to post, didn't see Krol was part of the deal.

He's still looks like a downgrade from Smyly in the pen, and Smyly is a downgrade from Fister in the rotation.....Detroit probably has something up their sleeves.

LOL at all the big writers applauding the Tigers for dumping money. Fister was going to make, what, $6M this year? FAR below what he is worth. Not all money is bad money. And this was hardly a contract that you have to settle for a bad return to get rid of. 29 other teams in baseball would be willing to pay $6M next year to have Fister in their rotation. Stupid writers trying not to say what they are thinking, that Dombrowski made an awful move.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 08:42 PM)
Robbie Ray is alright, but man the Nats didn't have to give up much. Kind of a salary dump?

Preparing for Ellsbury, Choo or Cano, I presume.

Edited by robinventura23

Look at this smoke blowers....

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 1h

Krol significant up-grade to Tigers pen from left-side;Lombardozzi solid utilityInf & Ray has potential of 4th starter.Tigers reduce payroll

Tim Kurkjian ‏@Kurkjian_ESPN 1h

The Tigers cleared money, opened a rotation spot for Drew Smyly and got a LH reliever (Ian Krol). And Steve Lombardozzi is very useful

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 08:19 PM)
Yeah, I'm not getting this unless there is a follow up move to throw loads of cash at a free agent. Terrible return.

Even if they get a big FA, I still dont see why they couldnt get more. Hes making less than 10mil a year, and under control for 2or 3 more years. Weird

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:25 PM)
Even if they get a big FA, I still dont see why they couldnt get more. Hes making less than 10mil a year, and under control for 2or 3 more years. Weird

Right. I can't imagine they were prepared to pay Prince Fielder $23M this season, but not prepared to spend $6M on Fister. Even if they sign a FA now, there was nothing stopping them from getting full value for Fister. His contract didn't prohibit that.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)
Look at this smoke blowers....

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 1h

Krol significant up-grade to Tigers pen from left-side;Lombardozzi solid utilityInf & Ray has potential of 4th starter.Tigers reduce payroll

Tim Kurkjian ‏@Kurkjian_ESPN 1h

The Tigers cleared money, opened a rotation spot for Drew Smyly and got a LH reliever (Ian Krol). And Steve Lombardozzi is very useful

All of that is true.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)
All of that is true.

Saying the Tigers got 3 younger players back and only had to give up 1 player to Washington is also a true statement, but it's clearly a statement that is only made to try and make it seem like a good deal for Detroit while ignoring almost every other aspect of the deal, which show how terrible this deal really was for them.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
Saying the Tigers got 3 younger players back and only had to give up 1 player to Washington is also a true statement, but it's clearly a statement that is only made to try and make it seem like a good deal for Detroit while ignoring almost every other aspect of the deal, which show how terrible this deal really was for them.

lol...

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 2h

Nats rotation of Strasburg (healthy elbow now), JZimmermann, Gonzalez & Fister now arguably as much overall potential as any in NL for 2014

Tim Kurkjian ‏@Kurkjian_ESPN 2h

Tigers source called Fister "a very good pitcher, a No. 3 starter.'' The Nationals upgraded their rotation without dealing Anthony Rendon.

The horror. Baseball analysts analyzing the effects on both teams' rosters, offering no opinion whatsoever on the trade.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:43 PM)
Incredible trade for the Nationals. I wonder if this is a prelude to Tigers signing Cano or Ellsbury? With this asking price the Tigers had for Fister, I'm stunned the Cubs didn't try to get him.

That's what I was thinking. After the Kinsler trade, I doubt it's Cano, but maybe Ellsbury?

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m

One question in column: Why didn’t #Tigers get more for Fister? Some GMs weren’t even aware he was available. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/hot-sto...ies-rays-120313

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/hot-sto...ies-rays-120313

Why didn’t get Tigers get more for Doug Fister?

This one still has rival executives scratching their heads. Fister is one of the top 10 or 15 starting pitchers in the game, and will be quite affordable at approximately $18 million to $19 million combined in his final two years of arbitration. Yet, the Tigers parted with him for a utility infielder, Steve Lombardozzi, a promising 20-year-old left-handed reliever, Ian Krol, and a solid left-handed prospect, Robbie Ray, who could develop into a No. 3 starter.

As my colleague Jon Paul Morosi explained, the Tigers were setting themselves up for other moves, starting with the signing of free-agent closer Joe Nathan to a two-year deal in the $20 million range. A free-agent left fielder could be next, but that doesn’t alter the essential question: Would another team have beaten the Nationals’ offer?

As J.P. wrote, Dombrowski merits the benefit of the doubt.