White Sox Re-Sign Tyler Flowers

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
Frankly...no.

I don't think they'll try to play him everyday but I think they'll play him often enough that it infuriates me. I'm so used to it from this team I just expect it.

I want to see Robin have a decent option to rest Abreu as he finds necessary. I think we agree it should be Abreu's needs, not Konerko's that should determine how often that is. I can see Konerko playing 3-4 times a month, perhaps as many as 35 starts, at 1st and of course the platoon with Dunn for DH. But again, I believe we agree that what is best for Abreu trumps Konerko.

Our difference is I believe that will happen, you do not.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)
If Abreu is hitting, he's going to be on the field.

Keeping this theme, having Konerko on the bench essentially screws us. Now we only have room for a backup catcher, one outfielder, and one infielder (unless we drop a pitcher [unlikely]). I think we have to trade Dunn because during long, 15 day/15 game stretches, players who want a day off will not get one because they don't have a backup.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
Keeping this theme, having Konerko on the bench essentially screws us. Now we only have room for a backup catcher, one outfielder, and one infielder (unless we drop a pitcher [unlikely]). I think we have to trade Dunn because during long, 15 day/15 game stretches, players who want a day off will not get one because they don't have a backup.

No player worth his weight ever wants a day off. The manager will give them days off when he feels it's necessary. You get Danks 2 games a week and Garcia or Keppinger 2-3 games a week, and everything's fine.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
No player worth his weight ever wants a day off. The manager will give them days off when he feels it's necessary. You get Danks 2 games a week and Garcia or Keppinger 2-3 games a week, and everything's fine.

You can't carry all 3 of those on the roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
You can't carry all 3 of those on the roster.

Yes I know. I mean "Garcia or Keppinger" as in one or the other, not as in getting one of those two playing time while they are both on the roster. I just don't know who is going to be on the roster on April 1st or whenever Opening Day is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
Yes I know. I mean "Garcia or Keppinger" as in one or the other, not as in getting one of those two playing time while they are both on the roster. I just don't know who is going to be on the roster on April 1st or whenever Opening Day is.

Also, by want a day off, I meant is tired and will physically be unable to perform to the best of his ability due to the constant playing. They will insist to the manager that they're fine, but the manager will know better.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
:huh:

In his career, he's thrown out 26.4% of potential base stealers, he limits wild pitches about as well as you can expect, and doesn't allow a lot of passed balls. He was poor at throwing out runners last year, but I think a lot of that can be traced back to a bum shoulder.

Seriously, it's $1 million. The fact that people are upset about this is ridiculous. At least he has a well defined role (that is necessary for the club) that is non-guaranteed.

Edited by witesoxfan