Lobaton traded to Nats

Eminor3rd

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure by the time I post this SS2K5 will already have posted but...

Marc Topkin

@TBTimes_Rays: No Lobaton deal for now. #Rays Friedman said catching situation will sort itself out, that its not ideal but they could to go to spring w/all 3

Translation: While the Sox need a catching upgrade, they weren't dumb enough to give up anything of value for Lobaton, so we will wait and hunt around for a different sucker.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
I am sure by the time I post this SS2K5 will already have posted but...

Marc Topkin

@TBTimes_Rays: No Lobaton deal for now. #Rays Friedman said catching situation will sort itself out, that its not ideal but they could to go to spring w/all 3

I WIN THE INTERNETS!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
Salty is a Marlin.

Hopefully it's Grandal, Jaso, Rosario, Castro in that order.

Damn, things happening lightning fast today. So many teams getting the heavy lifting done so early, hopefully we're making our move soon. I'm guessing Grandal "costs" more than Jaso, no?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
You are CONSTANTLY deriding these metrics by using them in a context for which they are NOT meant to be used. These numbers are only inaccurate if you insist on asking them to do things they are not designed to do. They are NOT "the end all," whatever that even means, and absolutely nobody is claiming otherwise.

The reason no one has EVER suggested that we "cancel the playoffs and give a WAR trophy" is because that's totally ridiculous. WAR exists in order to allow us to try to compare the sum of different players' contributions under a common frame of reference -- and that is EXACTLY how lasttrip just used it, and it lended an interesting insight to the discussion. It was never meant to be able to predict team W-L records or to imply that adding X player will add exactly Y wins to a team. It is a metric that STRIPS CONTEXT and it would therefore be ridiculous to expect it to hold up when context is introduced.

It gives us a frame of reference, DA. That's it. Please stop pretending it's not useful just because it can be misapplied.

The most significant misuse of statistics is using bWAR. Their s*** is all f***ed up.

FanGraphs. Please. They have better offensive, defensive, and pitching metrics to calculate WAR.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
The most significant misuse of statistics is using bWAR. Their s*** is all f***ed up.

FanGraphs. Please. They have better offensive, defensive, and pitching metrics to calculate WAR.

I don't mind bWAR as I think it's a better showing of what actually happened on the field. fWAR is just a better determinant of true talent, and that's typically what people want - the best, more talented, not who put up a high ERA because they got lucky.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
Grandal posted an .863 OPS in '12 with half his games at Petco Park. In 60 games in '12 he posted 2.7 WAR.

the Sox were rumored to be very interested in Grandal during that year's draft time. Grandal would be a pretty significant addition. It would take a pretty good return but it's something that I would be very excited about.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)
Well, he was .246/.330/.406 in 198 PA vs RHP last year. Not exciting but Flowers was .213/.268/.393 in 198 PA vs RHP and Phegley was .190/.213/.266 in 166 PA vs RHP so it's definitely an upgrade.

It's an upgrade from what our two did last year, but it's still lousy and not worth much. How's his defense?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:10 PM)
Ok, now that I found out the Sox let Salta go to FLA for 3/21, I'm going to be PISSED if we give up talent to get freaking Lobaton. Holy s***.

Whatever the Sox have to give up for Lobaton probably won't be worth anything to get mad about.

If we're supposedly rebuilding why not at least rebuild by trying to snag one of the Yankees catching specs in either Sanchez, Murphy or O'Brien. If not drafting Alex Jackson with the 1st wouldn't break my heart if Rodon isn't there....

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 10:28 PM)
If we're supposedly rebuilding why not at least rebuild by trying to snag one of the Yankees catching specs in either Sanchez, Murphy or O'Brien. If not drafting Alex Jackson with the 1st wouldn't break my heart if Rodon isn't there....

Not a good chance Jackson stays at C. He's already being profiled as a 3B/Corner OF at showcases.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 11:36 PM)
Posts like this drive me up a wall. What is an 18 year old catcher drafted in July going to do for the Sox in '14, '15', '16 & '17. This isn't the NFL or the NBA.

I am not slighting Jackson. Just saying he isn't the solution to our catching black hole right now.

It's called foresight. Something nobody has had for a number of years...especially at the C position. Sorry if it got your panties in a big wad... But if you're gonna resign the likes of Flowers and such...why not look to the draft for the future? So you're basically a "quick fix" do it now kinda guy....awesome. Doesn't always work Hoss....obviously.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)
Translation: While the Sox need a catching upgrade, they weren't dumb enough to give up anything of value for Lobaton, so we will wait and hunt around for a different sucker.

Great post. Hopefully what you wrote is fact.