Phone Protection

Texsox

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is your cell phone in a case?

• No
    • Decorative Case
    • Protection Case
    • Homemade Case

I dropped my old phone constantly. It looked like hell, but the screen never cracked and it never seemed to cause it any issues. When I got my HTC One, I got a case because the phone just felt "slippery" in my hands and I knew I'd be dropping it like crazy. A few phones back, I had a case, but quickly stopped using it because of the bulk.

I don't use a case and never have. I've tried a few, including Ghost Armor, but they all annoy me and I quickly remove them.

I've never dropped/broken a phone, either.

With how a lot of people replace their phones every year or two, having a case is mostly pointless. If you do drop it and scuff it up really badly, AT THAT POINT, stick it in a case and you won't be able to see any of that scuffing.

Also of note, most cases do not actually protect your phone from screen breakage, as that damage most often comes from impact, not direct collision. It's akin to wearing a football helmet -- while protected from direct visual damage -- it still cannot protect from the impact itself. Outside of something massive like an otterbox that's designed to absorb most shock/impact, thin cases do nothing but protect from scuffing. And as I said earlier, if that's your concern, don't use a case until after you scuff it up -- THEN cover it up with a case and you can't tell anyway.

Since I knew mine would be banging around backpacks, in mist and rain, putting a brand new Galaxy 4 in a case seemed like a good idea. Since I never used the phone without, the bulk is nomal. When I have taken it out it is really slick.

I no longer carry my HTC One in a case because it is extremely sturdy and I've seen it be torture-tested by CNET, so I know it can take a beating and still be functional. It doesn't show wear easily because of the aluminum, so the minor scuffs and such aren't there. I use a screen protector that I honestly never even notice, because I know that I would end up scratching it. Love the glass on this thing though, as that has taken impacts a couple times and shows no signs of damage.

I broke two iPhone 4 screens -- those things were built very poorly. I'm not an amazingly careful person by any stretch, but the impacts that broke those screens were ridiculously light. I was using a case on those, too, of course.

For me, it is basically an "it depends" proposition. Depends on the phone, build material, what I'm going to do with it, etc. I put a case on my tablet because I toss it in my backpack and I want it to be somewhat protected from all of the things rubbing up against and possibly the weight of those things.

I've never dropped a phone too badly, so I've never needed one. But now that I have this super nice G2 and the bezel is so incredibly small that it makes the screen more exposed, I have purchased a case. It's just a cheap $10 Poetic case, which should be arriving any minute now from UPS, but I'm hoping this will save my phone. I am thinking I may be should have purchased the insurance plan from Best Buy, although I have no idea what it costs.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:55 PM)
I no longer carry my HTC One in a case because it is extremely sturdy and I've seen it be torture-tested by CNET, so I know it can take a beating and still be functional. It doesn't show wear easily because of the aluminum, so the minor scuffs and such aren't there. I use a screen protector that I honestly never even notice, because I know that I would end up scratching it. Love the glass on this thing though, as that has taken impacts a couple times and shows no signs of damage.

I broke two iPhone 4 screens -- those things were built very poorly. I'm not an amazingly careful person by any stretch, but the impacts that broke those screens were ridiculously light. I was using a case on those, too, of course.

For me, it is basically an "it depends" proposition. Depends on the phone, build material, what I'm going to do with it, etc. I put a case on my tablet because I toss it in my backpack and I want it to be somewhat protected from all of the things rubbing up against and possibly the weight of those things.

The iPhone4 wasn't built poorly at all, it simply wasn't built to be a baseball, which is something it's not.

If I threw my watch around like people throw their phones around, it'd shatter/break, too. They're not baseballs, footballs, wrenches, or freebees, people...they're phones, mostly made of metal and glass these days, ie, not meant to be dropped or thrown against walls.

I've seen phones of all types with shattered screens, and that has nothing to do with build quality, it has to everything to do with the people using them, and a bit of luck. If you're prone to breaking them, put it in a case. I've seen iPhone 4's survive 2 story drops off a balcony, only to shatter from a 7 inch drop.

I've had every iPhone since the original, I don't use cases and have yet to break a single one of them.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
Amazon Prime is failing me. I purchased that phone case on Sunday night. It's now Thursday and I still don't have it. It's been in Muncie since Tuesday morning. Get it together, UPS.

I have a new hard drive for my laptop stuck in Amazon since Saturday.