Masahiro Tanaka

Feeky Magee

Before starting, I'd just like to say that I recognise that this is not going to happen for the Sox.

MLB negotiators' latest proposal for the posting system would establish a maximum bid and include a provision prioritizing teams with low records, Sponichi reports. Under the plan, multiple teams could submit the maximum bid for a player, with negotiating rights going to the club that had the lowest winning precentage that year. Nippon Professional Baseball was scheduled to discuss the proposal in a meeting with the 12 NPB teams on Tuesday.

Last month, the two sides nearly reached an agreement that would have seen the Japanese team paid a posting fee equal to the midpoint between the top two bids. However, this arrangement was ultimately rejected by MLB because of opposition by small-market teams, which insisted that the posting fee be counted against the luxury tax.

As the article notes, this new proposal and its maximum bid could encourage greater participation among small-market teams. A marquee name like Masahiro Tanaka is all but off-limits for low-revenue clubs under the current system, which can require teams to pay more than $50MM just to get to the negotiating table. Small-market owners are therefore likely to drop their luxury tax-related demands if a scheme that gives priority to lower-ranking teams is on offer, Sponichi reports. However, winning teams are certain to oppose the plan because it would greatly reduce their chances of securing negotiating rights. It's also unclear how the proposal would be received by the 12 Japanese teams, which would appear to gain little by agreeing to a system with a maximum bid.

NPB officials are amenable to the idea of a maximum bid, but not the amount which MLB has proposed, according to a Japanese report passed on by Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker. Major League officials are trying to impose a $20MM limit.

If both of these proposals happened, the Sox could put up $20m and if the Marlins and the Astros didn't, get exclusive negotiating rights with Tanaka. I think he's going to be a minimum 4-win pitcher straight away, so if the price was something similar to Darvish's 6/$60 (less of a reputation but the lower posting fee would drive it up), I'd be all over that, even with the gap between our pitching and our hitting. Sale-Tanaka would be a hell of a 1-2 punch for years to come and you'd then feel a lot better about letting Q and/or Hector go for some offense.

Edited by Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
After JDA, I'm not ruling the Sox out if Hahn wants him.

Sale - Tanaka - Quintana - Johnson - Danks/Santiago looks damn good on paper.

I've wanted Tanaka since seeing he would be posting, just figured it wouldn't be possible.

If these new regulations come to pass thou - the realm of possibility becomes in sight.

Hummmmm...

A $20M limit is a game changer, if it comes to pass, and maybe only gives the West Coast teams a real advantage, if the player gets the choice of equal bid teams. Something will have to be done for the Japanese league in return for the posting limit - not sure what that would be.

Ownership opportunities in a Far East Division of mlb, with teams in Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Pusan and Taipei is at least 20 years (and the return of the Concorde) away. Just dreamin' here.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
Sounds like they were counting on 50, and P.O.'d that it could be only 20. This seems like a negotiation tactic.

Yep. And besides, who cares? If it's $20M, the Sox have a chance. If it's not $20M, then the Sox don't have a chance. So I'd rather he stay in Japan than one of the rich teams take another Japanese arm.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
A $20M limit is a game changer, if it comes to pass, and maybe only gives the West Coast teams a real advantage, if the player gets the choice of equal bid teams. Something will have to be done for the Japanese league in return for the posting limit - not sure what that would be.

Ownership opportunities in a Far East Division of mlb, with teams in Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Pusan and Taipei is at least 20 years (and the return of the Concorde) away. Just dreamin' here.

Sounds like the system will not allow the player to choose, but will award posting rights in reverse order of the standings (draft order). So the Sox would get rights if the Astros and Marlins passed.

I wonder if this will lead to something like what happens with rule V picks where the rights are acquired by a team high up in the order and then traded to another team for cash or something like that. The way that the Cubs traded Hamilton to the Reds after selecting him.

Uh oh!

"Rakuten Golden Eagles president Yozo Tachibana addressed the Japanese media today and indicated that the team may not necessarily post Masahiro Tanaka in light of the new posting system's $20MM maximum bid, according to a report from Sponichi (Japanese link). Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times elaborates in his most recent article and offers translated quotes from Tachibana.

"There's a possibility we won't take the next step," said Tachibana. As Newsday's David Lennon noted on Twitter today, the Golden Eagles may think that retaining Tanaka is more valuable than the $20MM maximum posting fee, which is a mere fraction of the $75MM+ posting fee that was rumored under the old system.

Hernandez notes that the Golden Eagles will be under "immense public pressure" to post Tanaka despite the new rules. That wouldn't guarantee anything, however. Tanaka failing to hit the market after this long, drawn out process would be a major impact to interested teams who are now dreaming of their increased chances to land the highly touted ace. The Yankees have been prioritizing Tanaka but would have to turn elsewhere to fill out a rotation in need of a significant boost.

Should Tanaka stay in Japan, the cases for Ervin Santana, Matt Garza and Ubaldo Jimenez would only be strengthened, as their primary competition would be off the market."

Per MLBTR.

reminds me of a Cartman move. " screw you guys, I'm going home".

I will say this, if Tanaka does get posted, Hahn better put in a $20M bid. There's nothing to lose and if your bid wins and you can get him to sign for a Darvish like contract (6/$56M) that's beyond a f***ing steal in this free agent market. I mean we're taking about anywhere between $30M to $55M in posting fees suddenly removed from the equation. Even with a full rotation, a GM should not pass on this kind of a potential steal.

The other good news is that contenders should have no chance at him now, which means our pitching should be even more valuable once the rest of the free agent starters are picked through.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:35 PM)
I will say this, if Tanaka does get posted, Hahn better put in a $20M bid. There's nothing to lose and if your bid wins and you can get him to sign for a Darvish like contract (6/$56M) that's beyond a f***ing steal in this free agent market. I mean we're taking about anywhere between $30M to $55M in posting fees suddenly removed from the equation. Even with a full rotation, a GM should not pass on this kind of a potential steal.

The other good news is that contenders should have no chance at him now, which means our pitching should be even more valuable once the rest of the free agent starters are picked through.

f*** yeah! Tanaka would possibly make another starter available via trade to help fill another hole all the while not losing a draft pick. Win, win.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
The way I understand it is this. If multiple teams bid the max then tanaka would be able to negotiate with all the winning bidders for the best contract and then sign. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It will be either that or draft order. I can't see Houston or Miami beating the Sox if Hahn wanted him. Especially if Hahn also wanted to keep him from the Cubs.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)
It will be either that or draft order. I can't see Houston or Miami beating the Sox if Hahn wanted him. Especially if Hahn also wanted to keep him from the Cubs.

If he does post I can see Tanaka as a real possibility no doubt. I watched video on him recently and he is nasty, accept for his straight as an arrow fastball but if he can command it well then he should do well. I REALLY hope he posts!