With Abreu Signing; Konerko Not Out

southsider2k5

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abreu may not start the season with the big club. And having Konerko as a backup/pinch hitter is not necessarily a bad thing.

And let's be honest. Keeping him one more year helps sell tickets and merch for a farewell tour.

Also of note: Konerko has been known to rejoin the sox after big moves(Thome in 05, Dunn in 10)

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
Abreu may not start the season with the big club. And having Konerko as a backup/pinch hitter is not necessarily a bad thing.

And let's be honest. Keeping him one more year helps sell tickets and merch for a farewell tour.

Also of note: Konerko has been known to rejoin the sox after big moves(Thome in 05, Dunn in 10)

Abreu at 27 and money spent to get him will be given every chance to be with the team on opening day

You'd also have to have a situation where Konerko was 100% in synch with the new major league hitting instructor...

How likely is that?

Obviously, it's not going to be Paulie's good friend, Jim Thome. Or Frank Thomas. Realistically, it SHOULD be an outsider to the White Sox organization for once.

Konerko coming back doesn't many any sense at all. Putting Adam Dunn in LF and blocking/trading Viciedo makes even less sense for the future.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFan05 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 04:10 AM)
We can't just screw our team by trading young talent away to make room for a 37 year old who demands to play another year. Sorry Paulie, but goodbye.

If Paulie wasn't as slow as a tortoise I'd prefer him coming back over Dunn. Paulie is so slow, however, he might have run himself out of baseball. It's tough to keep a guy that slow afoot on the roster when he's not blasting 30 home runs anymore. I hope Abreu can dig the ball out of the dirt like Paulie could. That's also important to a defense, specially with Gillaspie gunning throws all over the place.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
I certainly wouldn't hate a Dunn/Konerko platoon, it makes a lot of sense.

I think Konerko is perfectly capable of hitting MLB pitching through at least the end of the 2014 season. Assuming Dunn doesn't get moved, Konerko would be a great signing for the right amount of money. That's a nice bat to have as insurance in case Dunn falls into one of his patented "doesn't belong anywhere near the game of baseball" stretches over the course of the season. Omar Vizquel was signed for a similar role and ended up being a nice antidote for the Mark Teahen signing in 2010.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 11:40 PM)
I think Konerko is perfectly capable of hitting MLB pitching through at least the end of the 2014 season. Assuming Dunn doesn't get moved, Konerko would be a great signing for the right amount of money. That's a nice bat to have as insurance in case Dunn falls into one of his patented "doesn't belong anywhere near the game of baseball" stretches over the course of the season. Omar Vizquel was signed for a similar role and ended up being a nice antidote for the Mark Teahen signing in 2010.

Konerko hasn't been perfectly capable of hitting MLB pitching since the first half the 2012 season.

Even if he wants to come back, they are handicapping the roster by keeping 3 1B/DH's. One of these guys is strictly a pinch hitter most days, and that's probably Konerko at this point of his career although I realize it can be argued that new guy may be protected against tough matchups, and Dunn still goes into his funks where having an alternative isn't a bad option. While these aren't awful explanations, I do think roster flexibility can't be the loser especially if they are a team that is dependent on strong starting pitching and lower scoring games where defense comes into focus.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 18, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
Obviously, it's not going to be Paulie's good friend, Jim Thome. Or Frank Thomas. Realistically, it SHOULD be an outsider to the White Sox organization for once.

Manto was from outside the organization

If the organization is floating the idea of Konerko returning, I think they are going to be trying to move Dunn. Having all three on the roster is a potentially disastrous idea and forces you to trust that they all remain healthy and able to come off the bench at any time. It also forces the other 2 bench spots to be extremely flexible for all positions

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
I can't understand why they would want to replace Dunn with a worse RH hitter. It makes absolutely no sense. Dunn still hits a lot of home runs. You can't win at the Cell without hitting a bunch of homers.

Well, moving Dunn means other things are happening. It is hard right now to say that Dunn is being replaced only by Konerko because we don't see the whole picture.

In a vacuum it doesn't make sense, I agree

I will be pretty upset if PK is on the roster. It's over. Move on. So many people want to just discard Dunn too. Who would be the LH bats on the team? That's crazy unless you can replace the production. He hits a ton of homers and that's pretty important to succeed in the ballpark that the Sox play in.

I personally think Dunn will have his best year in a white sox uniform next year.

Contract year and he's got a ton of work to do in repairing his rep.

Stranger things have happened.

In my ideal lineup, he's hitting no higher than 6th.