With Abreu Signing; Konerko Not Out

southsider2k5

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
Manto was from outside the organization

If the organization is floating the idea of Konerko returning, I think they are going to be trying to move Dunn. Having all three on the roster is a potentially disastrous idea and forces you to trust that they all remain healthy and able to come off the bench at any time. It also forces the other 2 bench spots to be extremely flexible for all positions

What I should have said was no ties or connections or loyalty to anyone on the Sox coaching staff or in the front office.

A total, objective outsider.

Parent and Manto both were/are quite familiar with Ventura.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
I personally think Dunn will have his best year in a white sox uniform next year.

Contract year and he's got a ton of work to do in repairing his rep.

Stranger things have happened.

In my ideal lineup, he's hitting no higher than 6th.

The last line of your post doesn't go along with your first line. If he's hitting 40+, driving in 100+, and putting up an OPS of .800+ you want that in the 3-4-5 spot, low average and strikeouts be damned.

If you want to have Dunn hitting 6th, that means that Garcia/Abreu/Viciedo...two of those three and probably all three are your 3-4-5 guys, yes?

So you have THREE guys hitting in positions in the batting order they're not very comfortable or familiar with.

The opposite is much more likely....the younger guys would be at 5-6-7 until they can prove otherwise.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 05:54 AM)
Nobody actually goes to the park to see Paul Konerko, do they?

I went to Kauffman Stadium this year to see a 99 loss team just to see Konerko hit one last time and he didn't even play. It bummed me out, but not too much cause Sox won.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 11:51 PM)
Reading the common fans thoughts is hilarious. I'd say 90% want to bring back MB & AJ no matter what the price

Exactly. You read an article about anything White Sox related and the commenters will tell you that the fall of the White Sox can be traced to the loss of Mark Buehrle and the complete collapse is enabled by the loss of AJ

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 06:23 AM)
Exactly. You read an article about anything White Sox related and the commenters will tell you that the fall of the White Sox can be traced to the loss of Mark Buehrle and the complete collapse is enabled by the loss of AJ

Wasn't there someone on this site saying AJ would never let his team collapse? Interesting that two years in a row, him and Rios were on a team that completely choked down the stretch. Rios is allergic to the postseason.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 04:51 AM)
Reading the common fans thoughts is hilarious. I'd say 90% want to bring back MB & AJ no matter what the price

See, the few people who accuse me of being a troll should consider what you just wrote. And they should remember your post forever. Maybe greg actually has COMMON, not radical opinions? Is that possible? My takes appear to be that of the 90 percenters.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 12:46 AM)
See, the few people who accuse me of being a troll should consider what you just wrote. And they should remember your post forever. Maybe greg actually has COMMON, not radical opinions? Is that possible? My takes appear to be that of the 90 percenters.

:lol:

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Manto was from outside the organization

If the organization is floating the idea of Konerko returning, I think they are going to be trying to move Dunn. Having all three on the roster is a potentially disastrous idea and forces you to trust that they all remain healthy and able to come off the bench at any time. It also forces the other 2 bench spots to be extremely flexible for all positions

Manto was the White Sox minor league hitting coordinator for 4 or 5 years before being named major league hitting coach.

I just do not see Konerko back. Despite the hometown discount he gave the team way back when, there is no hometown favorite roster spot available. Sentimentally I would rather see Dunn moved, but that is not realistic and not the soundest baseball move.

Honestly, as great as he's been for us, it's time for Konerko to go. Right now, Dunn is the more productive player and his left-handed bat adds some much needed balance to the lineup. While I do think a Konerko/Dunn platoon could work, you're giving up a lot of roster flexibility carrying three 1B/DH types and you risk Robin trying to find a way to get Konerko playing time at the expense of the other two. Overall, it just doesn't make sense IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
Manto was the White Sox minor league hitting coordinator for 4 or 5 years before being named major league hitting coach.

You are right, I looked on Wikipedia and it didn't have any of that. My bad

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 19, 2013 -> 09:33 PM)
It's about jersey sales.

Bonerko replica jersey at the ballpark as an active sox player: $139. As an ex-sox player(ie on another team): $59.99

That's a lotta coin jerry loses if Bonerko leaves. If he retires, they can sell them at 89.99.

Konerko is the #1 sox jersey/shirsey i see at games. Hell, pretty much anywhere in Chicago.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Bonerko replica jersey at the ballpark as an active sox player: $139. As an ex-sox player(ie on another team): $59.99

That's a lotta coin jerry loses if Bonerko leaves. If he retires, they can sell them at 89.99.

Konerko is the #1 sox jersey/shirsey i see at games. Hell, pretty much anywhere in Chicago.

I don't believe the $10,000 that the team may lose in jersey revenue is weighing too heavily on the team, especially after they make 5x that with the new sales.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
I just do not see Konerko back. Despite the hometown discount he gave the team way back when, there is no hometown favorite roster spot available. Sentimentally I would rather see Dunn moved, but that is not realistic and not the soundest baseball move.

When did this actually happen?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 20, 2013 -> 12:46 AM)

That is not a group with whom you want to be associated, I assure you of that.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
2005, the Orioles' offer was about $4,000,000 higher than the Sox offer.

My recollection was 5/$60 from the White Sox and 5/$65 from the Orioles, but after taxes were included, his deal from Baltimore actually would have given him less disposable income.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
2005, the Orioles' offer was about $4,000,000 higher than the Sox offer.

That wasn't a hometown discount. That was more " orioles will suck most of this contract, so I'm better off staying with a team that has a chance to win"