With Abreu Signing; Konerko Not Out

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
That is not a group with whom you want to be associated, I assure you of that.

My recollection was 5/$60 from the White Sox and 5/$65 from the Orioles, but after taxes were included, his deal from Baltimore actually would have given him less disposable income.

That's 100% how I recall it as well, the offers were just about equal with that taken into account.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can Abreu play LF? I'd rather have Paulie at first and Abreu in LF (if he is OK out there) and trade Dayan. How bout a Dayan/Beckham package to somebody for a 3B and set up man. If Abreu can't play left then have him split time between DH and first and give Paulie and Dunn breaks.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 01:31 AM)
Can Abreu play LF? I'd rather have Paulie at first and Abreu in LF (if he is OK out there) and trade Dayan. How bout a Dayan/Beckham package to somebody for a 3B and set up man. If Abreu can't play left then have him split time between DH and first and give Paulie and Dunn breaks.

You have no idea how terrible an idea this is.

Please just let Paulie retire.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 06:52 AM)
You have no idea how terrible an idea this is.

Please just let Paulie retire.

Paulie is too proud to hit .195 or something. Don't worry. If he after 2 months is hitting like that, believe me, he'll retire. I am almost sure he's going to try it again. I have vibes he feels like he can still play. I'd give him a one-year deal for 4 million with a team option for the second year. So two years, 8 mill, but only one year guaranteed. If he doesn't like that, he moves onto the Orioles or somewhere.

BTW I'd also offer AJP the same deal. One year 4 mill.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 03:24 AM)
Paulie is too proud to hit .195 or something. Don't worry. If he after 2 months is hitting like that, believe me, he'll retire. I am almost sure he's going to try it again. I have vibes he feels like he can still play. I'd give him a one-year deal for 4 million with a team option for the second year. So two years, 8 mill, but only one year guaranteed. If he doesn't like that, he moves onto the Orioles or somewhere.

Just stop already.

Wow. So you want to dick around the 2nd most important player in the franchise's future just to keep Paulie around for one last season?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 03:24 AM)

The only facet in which Konerko is even remotely valuable any more is as a part time player against LHP, and there are about 30 different guys the Sox can use to do that job. He has been absolutely brutal against RHP for 10 straight months of baseball now. He can't play D and he has never been able to run and he was arguably the worst overall player in the majors last year, everything considered.

This isn't like letting Thomas go after 2005. He was still a really good power hitter. This would be like the Mariners bringing Griffey back and then having him retire in May after he falls asleep in the dugout. The more honorable thing to do would be to allow him the opportunity to seek out a contract elsewhere and, when he inevitably fails to receive the starting role he desires, to let him retire as a member of the White Sox and to retire his number next season.

Abreu was signed to play first base. Not to be bounced around from position to position to make room for someone who might be retiring or moving on. I like Konerko, but unless he signs to come back as a bench player and to give the occasional break to Dunn/Abreu, he's not going to be part of the Sox in 2014. It's time to move on. Stop with the crazy ideas.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670 3m

When asked if Sox roster could handle three 1B/DH types, Hahn told us not to project based on today. Dunn gone somehow? Or Konerko retiring?

No, just the easiest way to avoid answering the question.

Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670 3m

When asked if Sox roster could handle three 1B/DH types, Hahn told us not to project based on today. Dunn gone somehow? Or Konerko retiring?

Even if Dunn is gone, what is the argument for having Paulie at 1B/DH over moving Viciedo there and upgrading in the OF?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
Even if Dunn is gone, what is the argument for having Paulie at 1B/DH over moving Viciedo there and upgrading in the OF?

Loyalty. Fan favorite. Tradition. Probably not the best baseball decision.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
Wow. So you want to dick around the 2nd most important player in the franchise's future just to keep Paulie around for one last season?

To be fair, I was saying, IF Abreu can play left. If he can't then by no means go that route. I don't think making him split duty between DH and 1B is dicking him around too much. I'm still thinking of ways to improve the trade via trade and one option is packaging Viciedo and Beckham, don't u think?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)
The only facet in which Konerko is even remotely valuable any more is as a part time player against LHP, and there are about 30 different guys the Sox can use to do that job. He has been absolutely brutal against RHP for 10 straight months of baseball now. He can't play D and he has never been able to run and he was arguably the worst overall player in the majors last year, everything considered.

This isn't like letting Thomas go after 2005. He was still a really good power hitter. This would be like the Mariners bringing Griffey back and then having him retire in May after he falls asleep in the dugout. The more honorable thing to do would be to allow him the opportunity to seek out a contract elsewhere and, when he inevitably fails to receive the starting role he desires, to let him retire as a member of the White Sox and to retire his number next season.

That's a pretty great post with the Griffey analogy. Yes, sir. I agree you are right there. That could definitely happen. That would be sad. But I just have a feeling Paulie's troubles are health related and I really have the feeling he wants to give it a shot again. I mean if he hit .280 instead of between .240 and .250 we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

If he still has a burning desire to play, this should be very interesting. The easy thing for Paulie to do in this give-everybody-a-trophy, cut and dried what-have-you-done-for-me-lately society would be to quit now. But he might be stubborn enough to actually put it on the line and give it a shot (if his body is OK).

I think we all should predict what will happen.

I'm thinking he reluctantly retires right before spring training or signs a 1-year Sox deal or the two year deal I was talking about with the stipulation or the wink-wink that he will retire if he's not feeling right in spring training. I do not think he'll sign with another team, primarily because he's slow as an ox and it could get really ugly with the fans of his new team if he continues to have problems hitting for power.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
To be fair, I was saying, IF Abreu can play left. If he can't then by no means go that route. I don't think making him split duty between DH and 1B is dicking him around too much. I'm still thinking of ways to improve the trade via trade and one option is packaging Viciedo and Beckham, don't u think?

That's a pretty great post with the Griffey analogy. Yes, sir. I agree you are right there. That could definitely happen. That would be sad. But I just have a feeling Paulie's troubles are health related and I really have the feeling he wants to give it a shot again. I mean if he hit .280 instead of between .240 and .250 we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

If he still has a burning desire to play, this should be very interesting. The easy thing for Paulie to do in this give-everybody-a-trophy, cut and dried what-have-you-done-for-me-lately society would be to quit now. But he might be stubborn enough to actually put it on the line and give it a shot (if his body is OK).

I'm thinking he reluctantly retires right before spring training or signs a 1-year Sox deal or the two year deal I was talking about with the stipulation or the wink-wink that he will retire if he's not feeling right in spring training. I do not think he'll sign with another team, primarily because he's slow as an ox and it could get really ugly with the fans of his new team if he continues to have problems hitting for power.

Pinch hitter in Arizona...if that.

Edited by scs787

If Konerko signed a 2 year deal, he'd already going back on his word about 2014 being his last year regardless of what happens. I don't think he's going to get a contract offer from anyone and he will be a roving instructor and ambassador in Sox camp in Arizona.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)

First, if he hit .280, most of us would still have a problem. He adds nothing else of value. His power has diminished. He's slower than ever. Adam Dunn, of all people, took his role in the field.

His problems are health related. He's too damn old and he was in athletic to begin with.

This also isn't like Frank. Frank still had power, but was always hurt. Konerko has no value.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 04:24 AM)

If Paulie was too proud to keep playing when he was one of the worst players in baseball...he'd already have retired.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:12 AM)

It was in the clubhouse, not the dugout.

Well half as devil's advocate, half because I think the Sox have been leaving the door open, and half because hey, who doesn't love Paulie, I'll make a case for him. Yes, that's 3 halves.

Konk was the best Sox hitter against lefties last year with a .923 OPS. Rios was also excellent but is now gone. De Aza somehow put up a nice upside-down split and Garcia was good in a very small sample. After that you had Viciedo with a .709 OPS and it gets worse from there (Ramirez, Beckham, Dunn, Keppinger, the catchers).

Without question, something close to a Dunn-Konerko platoon is a productive and more preferable setup than Dunn alone. The only debatable topic is whether or not carrying Konerko as a 25th man is a worthwhile use of roster space. His clubhouse presence/mentoring and historical importance to the ball club obviously adds value, though difficult to quantify. Either way, it doesn't seem stranger than Giambi playing 4 seasons with the Rockies. They carried two old, lefty first baseman. In the league without a DH. For 4 years.

They could offer Konk an incentive-based (PAs and/or days not on the DL) contract that doesn't break the bank. If his back is affecting him as much as last year, that should mean a trip to the DL. The thought being that if he's legitimately healthy he should be productive, especially if he's not expected to play 150 games. Perhaps his limited playing time helps his health and he's back to his old self against righties (he hit righties better than lefties in 2012).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
If Paulie was too proud to keep playing when he was one of the worst players in baseball...he'd already have retired.

He still hit lefties well. He's still a great fielder. There are arguments to keep going (if healthy).