Paul Konerko Returning to White Sox

Feeky Magee

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed that anyone thinks the 25th man on the roster, which Konerko is, will impact any type of reload, rebuild, etc. Yes the development of a player sitting on the bench works well, see Anderson, Brian 2006. The guy is making twice as much as Tyler Flowers for christ sake.

Nobody's hands are tied and the roster is not now f***ed.

This is a cheap bench option who amazingly enough should add some nice pop off the bench if needed. He is coming back in a defined role that suites him perfectly what the hell is the big deal?

It's not that this completely screws over roster flexibility or is otherwise a crippling move to a team not expected to compete, but, imo, it reflects a pandering to the sentimental segment of the fanbase and an ownership mindset where winning is not the top priority, at least not anymore - maybe if JR was still as ring-hungry as he was pre 2005.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
I wonder if he also gave the team a list of AL teams he would accept a trade to.

Why would they trade him though? He was the centerpiece of the one the Sox won offensively, and Konerko doesn't seem to be the type of guy who needs to win to stay in the game.

I don't see any reason why he or the Sox would want a trade in this situation.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Why would they trade him though? He was the centerpiece of the one the Sox won offensively, and Konerko doesn't seem to be the type of guy who needs to win to stay in the game.

I don't see any reason why he or the Sox would want a trade in this situation.

They would trade him if a contender came asking and he wanted to go. I see the contract as an accomodation to both. I show of respect by the team. But Konerko has to be able to read the writing on the locker room wall.

If I had a write an ending for his career it would be something like this . . .

Maybe half a season to help in the transition, a little player-player guidance, then half a season in some AL city still in a pennant race. Then retire. Then the team should retire his jersey and he starts coaching if he likes.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
They would trade him if a contender came asking and he wanted to go. I see the contract as an accomodation to both. I show of respect by the team. But Konerko has to be able to read the writing on the locker room wall.

If I had a write an ending for his career it would be something like this . . .

Maybe half a season to help in the transition, a little player-player guidance, then half a season in some AL city still in a pennant race. Then retire. Then the team should retire his jersey and he starts coaching if he likes.

The Sox would only trade him to a team he asked to go to. No "no trade" clause is necessary, plus he is a 5/10 player anyway.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
The Dodgers spent $42M and did the same thing. There is no reason to rush him out there as the team is not in place to contend anyway. But with this organizations record of breaking hitting prospects, I am sure you are right, regardless of what is best for the player and team long term he will be thrown to the wolves on opening day.

Puig was 22 and considered raw in comparison to Abreu, who's 26.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
If Konerko was willing to play elsewhere he'd be elsewhere now

And he would have discovered so little interest elsewhere, that it might have made him feel guilty about imposing his wishes on the Sox, and he'd be retired now.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
It's not that this completely screws over roster flexibility or is otherwise a crippling move to a team not expected to compete, but, imo, it reflects a pandering to the sentimental segment of the fanbase and an ownership mindset where winning is not the top priority, at least not anymore - maybe if JR was still as ring-hungry as he was pre 2005.

True or false: A Konerko/Dunn platoon makes the team better.

I would think this is easily True unless you can make one hell of an argument about the last spots on the roster.

I think it happens to be a fan friendly move that also helps, in that it costs so little and does actually provide something we need. We need offense. Paulie vs. lefties had .923 OPS last year

The more layered thinking too is Dunn in LF and what that could bring with a PK bounceback out-of-nowhere good start, and Abreu fulfilling the promise....

Ok now i'm doing it...again.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
I am amazed that anyone thinks the 25th man on the roster, which Konerko is, will impact any type of reload, rebuild, etc. Yes the development of a player sitting on the bench works well, see Anderson, Brian 2006. The guy is making twice as much as Tyler Flowers for christ sake.

Nobody's hands are tied and the roster is not now f***ed.

This is a cheap bench option who amazingly enough should add some nice pop off the bench if needed. He is coming back in a defined role that suites him perfectly what the hell is the big deal?

Do you really think Paul Konerko will be happy getting 100-150 PA's?

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
True or false: A Konerko/Dunn platoon does make the team better.

I would think this is easily True unless you can make one hell of an argument about the last spots on the roster.

I'd say this is clearly false because it forces Alexei Ramirez to play every game for the first 5 months of the season since we can't carry a backup IF other than Keppinger.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
I'd say this is clearly false because it forces Alexei Ramirez to play every game for the first 5 months of the season since we can't carry a backup IF other than Keppinger.

Hyperbole. It's December 4th. Leury Garcia and/or the guy the got from the Astros, Jake Elmore or another guy who can play SS will clearly be on the roster when Opening Day arrives.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)

He damn near does anyway, 158 games each of the last 4 years. Sox could simply move Beckham to short a few times a year.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)

Baseball players need their days off. And their blanket. Understood.

I dont know how you can say 'clearly' when the roster isnt even set. I'm into discussing the 25 man roster once it has the set 25 men...on it.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
I dont know how you can say 'clearly' when the roster isnt set

Also I'll note that making moves because you made other moves that forced you to is really stupid GM-ing. As an opposing GM, I had an offer on the table to trade for Adam Dunn and chip in $7 million yesterday, today that offer drops to chipping in $5 million because the White Sox clearly will be more motivated to move him.

Paulie is getting the Jason Giambi with the Indians role. It's already been defined. Check out his and Hahn's comments.

What a wasted roster spot. The Sox could have picked up a guy like Jayson Nix or Tyler Greene and won a ton more games.

Anyone who gives Greg crap about AJ and it's supposed lack of effect on being a good or bad team should be suspended for complaining about this move.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
If he doesn't know that, either Rick Hahn told him he is trading Adam Dunn, or Paul Konerko is an idiot to not understand what Hahn is saying.

Or he knows he's the veteran and he will get his playing time because that's what happens.