Paul Konerko Returning to White Sox

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
I see, so you disagree with the idea that baseball players need a day off.

I don't, if you clearly read what I wrote, i said "understood."

That said, at DH if we decided that Dunn isnt enough, but that PK+Dunn may be better....then that sounds good to me. Because it costs little.

Meanwhile, Alexei playing a ton is something we are pretty much all aware will be happening, one way or another. This is the positional guy on our team most likely to cause a Win

Edited by Jose Paniagua

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
Paulie is getting the Jason Giambi with the Indians role. It's already been defined. Check out his and Hahn's comments.

What a wasted roster spot. The Sox could have picked up a guy like Jayson Nix or Tyler Greene and won a ton more games.

Anyone who gives Greg crap about AJ and it's supposed lack of effect on being a good or bad team should be suspended for complaining about this move.

Please tell me that this was a joke.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
I don't, if you clearly read what I wrote, i said "understood."

That said, at DH if we decided that Dunn isnt enough, but that PK+Dunn may be better....then that sounds good to me. Because it costs little.

Meanwhile, Alexei playing a ton is something we are pretty much all aware will be happening, one way or another. This is the positional guy on our team most likely to cause a Win

But of course...the guy who really should be playing every day at 1b, Abreu, now has a RH hitting veteran backup in a position to make things very awkward if he's not in the lineup often enough.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Please tell me that this was a joke.

It was sarcastic. Anyone complaining about how this shows the Sox don't want to win or all the other stuff, need to consider that the player whose spot Paulie is taking would eventually, if not immediatley, be considered a waste of a roster spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
But of course...the guy who really should be playing every day at 1b, Abreu, now has a RH hitting veteran backup in a position to make things very awkward if he's not in the lineup often enough.

Or give him great mentoring. The pro-est pro possible in his corner.

I dont see where you have these scenarios popping up where suddenly Abreu isnt going to get a ton of at-bats. He's going to get a s*** ton of at-bats at 26, 27 yrs old. Obviously.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)

Instead of continuing to make things up, why don't you read Paulie's comments and Hahn's comments. There is nothing to suggest now or in the past, that Paulie will make anyone uncomfortable. Part of his job is to help Abreu get MORE comfortable.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
True or false: A Konerko/Dunn platoon makes the team better.

It will probably make the DH results marginally better, granted. But if either is playing 1B at all, their contributions will be outweighed by the defensive crapitude.

It essentially likely means that Semien goes to AAA and LGarcia has to be the utility IF since he's the only capable backup SS (though not super impt. given Lexi's durability), or it kind of forces us to dump Keppinger with no leverage and no chance to regain any value. It may also compel a pure dump of Dunn, with no hope of even the slightest return, and it limits the transitioning of Dayan to DH that I'd like to see. Now, to be sure, none of these things is devastating individually or collectively, and a single trade could make all of it rather moot. But in the meantime the roster is more cumbersome, and I can't see this as a positive for the franchise in any way.

The Bench, barring other trades, has to look like:

Paulie

LGarcia

backup C

4th OF to cover all 3 spots

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
Instead of continuing to make things up, why don't you read Paulie's comments and Hahn's comments. There is nothing to suggest now or in the past, that Paulie will make anyone uncomfortable. Part of his job is to help Abreu get MORE comfortable.

Then let me say this as clearly as I can.

I have every confidence in this organization completely screwing that up. It's what they do. This whole site complains about the organization failing to develop position players and the way they treat guys fits that to a T. They rush them upwards through the minors, not giving them enough time to struggle or learn how to get through difficulties, then they get to the big leagues early, are expected to produce rapidly, and then lose their spots if they don't.

This signing fits that mold perfectly. It's the Sox way of treating their talent to the letter.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
Let's wait and see what other moves the Sox make before concluding that this is a disaster. Remember, we haven't even hit the Winter meetings yet. There's plenty of time to clear these logjams and plenty of reasons to do so.

And now we're in a position where any team we're negotiating with has the upper hand because they know the White Sox have foolishly created a logjam.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
And now we're in a position where any team we're negotiating with has the upper hand because they know the White Sox have foolishly created a logjam.

Fortunately, the guys we need to move are all bad players whose contracts need to be dumped anyway.

ABRUPT TURN:

Another angle of this, of course, is that the logjam doesnt matter since we arent a team that matters...

...so let Abreu get what he gets out of the mentoring. Sit Dunn against lefties and drive up his value for the deadline in case some GM out there needs that as some rationalizing force, in some way

...let Jerry fill some seats and sell some drinks on Konerko starts, and refill our spending reserves for 2015

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
Fortunately, the guys we need to move are all bad players whose contracts need to be dumped anyway.

And now that everyone knows the White Sox have themselves a mess of a roster, they can drop anything they'd have been willing to offer.

If you're playing cards and you reveal your cards to everyone else when they don't have to...that sort of hurts your ability to bet.

They rush them upwards through the minors, not giving them enough time to struggle or learn how to get through difficulties, then they get to the big leagues early, are expected to produce rapidly, and then lose their spots if they don't.

You lost me. Doesn't this take some pressure off Abreu? He doesn't have to be rushed into playing 150 games?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
And now that everyone knows the White Sox have themselves a mess of a roster, they can drop anything they'd have been willing to offer.

If you're playing cards and you reveal your cards to everyone else when they don't have to...that sort of hurts your ability to bet.

Most likely...last year we were ready and willing to do everything we could do with every near-bargaining chip we had on a sizable salary. If there were no deals to be had for Dunn and Alexei back then....that were good for us........then I'm not under the impression that landscape was going to change wildly now.

It may be PK, a catcher.... another tweak (Bacon?)...and we're done.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
You lost me. Doesn't this take some pressure off Abreu? He doesn't have to be rushed into playing 150 games?

The only way to learn to hit big league pitching is to face big league pitching at some point. He's not going to learn that on the bench.

The logjam is Dunn/Konerko/Abreu.

The Sox aren't going to trade Abreu. The aren't going to trade Konerko, they probably would try to trade Dunn, but where exactly was the leverage BEFORE Konerko came back?

Please, bring back some logic.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
The only way to learn to hit big league pitching is to face big league pitching at some point. He's not going to learn that on the bench.

OK. So you are in favor of rushing players into the lineup and keep them in while struggling. It seemed like you were saying the opposite. That you should not rush them into the lineup and play them when they struggle.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)

I still fail to see why there's a fear of Abreu being on the bench. He makes more money than early anyone here, and is 26.