Paul Konerko Returning to White Sox

Feeky Magee

I actually like the dh platoon but I hope that's where it ends when it comes to PK playing time. I have no interest in easing Abreu into the major leagues. He's 26 years old on a rebuilding team, he shouldn't be playing almost everyday, he should be playing everyday.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
You don't think there's a chance a healthy Paulie has a great spring? And if he does he wouldn't be starting? it's not like the guy is 44 years old for gosh sakes. I do realize what he's said publicly. I'm just pointing out a scenario in which he's not finished and actually bounces back.

Stop. Seriously.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
Just think what will happen if Abreu has a slow first couple weeks. Those callers will keep getting louder until something happens.

You're better than this too.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:22 AM)
With all due respect, how can you still have the Sox as your team with Dunn on the roster?? When I see Paulie go to the plate, still, I get PUMPED! When I see Dunn I want to puke. I was sad when Paulie didn't play in that game I saw in Kauffman this year the Sox won in 13.

Now what in the hell does this even mean? Are you questioning fandom at this point? Because Dunn is on the roster? Because obviously the fans have an effect on this team and they have the ability to change the roster.

This team has 3 players on it that can only play first base and another (Keppinger) that is one lost half-step from being only a first baseman. I'd feel more comfortable with the PK signing if we had a DH or other bench players that were more capable defensively. We're looking at a situation where we'll have a bench with only one potentially useful pinch runner, for instance. Seems to me that we'll end up having to release Jordan Danks for this and IMO he's actually more important than PK

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
Abreu is going to start at 1B regardless of what Konerko does in ST.

That's what spending that type of money does.

If someone would be the out man out, it would be Dunn.

Unless you count his signing bonus...Adam Dunn is paid more than Jose Abreu next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 07:46 AM)
There's one thing you're missing.

I'd rather have flexibility too...in the roster. We already have 2 guys who can backup 1b to give Abreu extra time off if needed, Dunn and Keppinger (and hell Flowers in a pinch). We're sacrificing flexibility at every other position in the lineup in order to have extra flexibility at 1b/DH...which is one of the easiest positions to move someone to for a couple games if needed.

Oh, and we also could throw Andy Wilkins onto the bench for a few games if someone got hurt so we even have an obvious 4th backup at the minor league level.

We're saying the only position we want any flexibility at is 1b, and it's ok if we have none anywhere else.

Gillaspie can play 1B as well.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 07:50 AM)
I actually like the dh platoon but I hope that's where it ends when it comes to PK playing time. I have no interest in easing Abreu into the major leagues. He's 26 years old on a rebuilding team, he shouldn't be playing almost everyday, he should be playing everyday.

He has never played more than 90 games in a season. I'm not certain playing 160 games is best for his confidence and long term health. I guess I should add, I don't think the signing was essential, but I also don't think it's the worst thing ever. Having someone like Konerko mentoring him has some value. Konerko has gone around the league playing the field a few times and I am certain he can offer some valuable insights. This signals to me that Abreu's development is the #1 priority for the team this season and they are willing to pay Konerko a few bucks to do that. If Abreu has a Konerko+ career on the southside that would be a very good thing.

What I would like to see now is someone, anyone, willing to take Dunn.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
He has never played more than 90 games in a season. I'm not certain playing 160 games is best for his confidence and long term health.

He's a first baseman, it's not exactly a demanding position. And if you want to give him a "day off" then play Dunn at 1B and let Abreu DH. There's no reason Abreu shouldn't start 150 games between 1B & DH unless something seriously goes wrong.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
He has never played more than 90 games in a season. I'm not certain playing 160 games is best for his confidence and long term health. I guess I should add, I don't think the signing was essential, but I also don't think it's the worst thing ever. Having someone like Konerko mentoring him has some value. Konerko has gone around the league playing the field a few times and I am certain he can offer some valuable insights. This signals to me that Abreu's development is the #1 priority for the team this season and they are willing to pay Konerko a few bucks to do that. If Abreu has a Konerko+ career on the southside that would be a very good thing.

What I would like to see now is someone, anyone, willing to take Dunn.

I agree with the statement that he shouldn't play 160 games, but I don't want to see him playing less than 150-155. If he starts to wear you've got both Konerko and Dunn who can play first for a game here and there and have Abreu DH.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
I agree with the statement that he shouldn't play 160 games, but I don't want to see him playing less than 150-155. If he starts to wear you've got both Konerko and Dunn who can play first for a game here and there and have Abreu DH.

And I am fine with him playing that amount. I want to see the team doing what is best for his development. If he is having Dunn-esque struggles at the plate, then much less. If he's doing anything close to what we expect than 150 games would be fine.

Or putting this another way

Of the available players that could mentor Abreu through a full season at first I rank them

Konerko >>>>>>>> Dunn >>>> Kep

And I do agree with Balta and others that the move makes the team less flexible overall and even less likely to win their division. I see it only as a win for Abreu's development, nothing else.

Scott Merkin talked about Keppinger supposedly being able to play shortstop. He has played 178 games there, but... none since 2010. Beckham played two partial games at SS last year.

If the Sox think one of them can handle SS for, say, 5 games in a year... then maybe, if you can't trade Keppinger (which I hope they do but may not be possible), you go with a bench of Keppinger, Konerko, Danks and a C. You have 4 guys to cover 3 skill IF positions, 4 guys to cover 3 OF positions, 3 guys to cover 1B/DH and some PH, and 2 catchers. Might work out OK.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
Of the available players that could mentor Abreu through a full season at first I rank them

Konerko >>>>>>>> Dunn >>>> Kep

And I'd rank it as Ramirez>>>>>Viciedo>>>>>>anyone else who actually speaks his language>>>>>The hitting coach>>>>>Konerko.

If we're bringing Konerko back to be a coach then he should be a coach. I'd have had zero problem with that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
Scott Merkin talked about Keppinger supposedly being able to play shortstop. He has played 178 games there, but... none since 2010. Beckham played two partial games at SS last year.

If the Sox think one of them can handle SS for, say, 5 games in a year... then maybe, if you can't trade Keppinger (which I hope they do but may not be possible), you go with a bench of Keppinger, Konerko, Danks and a C. You have 4 guys to cover 3 skill IF positions, 4 guys to cover 3 OF positions, 3 guys to cover 1B/DH and some PH, and 2 catchers. Might work out OK.

Again I keep pointing this out. Alexei Ramirez played every single game until they traded for Leury, and certainly looked for portions of the season like he could have used time off. He did not get that time off despite having those same guys on the roster.

Beckham playing SS or Keppinger playing SS because Ramirez was seriously injured in the middle of a game is acceptable, but the teams actions have already said how much confidence they have in those guys starting more than 2 games per year. 0.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
Again I keep pointing this out. Alexei Ramirez played every single game until they traded for Leury, and certainly looked for portions of the season like he could have used time off. He did not get that time off despite having those same guys on the roster.

Beckham playing SS or Keppinger playing SS because Ramirez was seriously injured in the middle of a game is acceptable, but the teams actions have already said how much confidence they have in those guys starting more than 2 games per year. 0.

Leury or another guy who can play SS as well as the OF will be on the team. The back up SS isn't going to be Beckham or Keppinger. I know you don't think so, but why don't we make a real wager on it? Put your money where all your ridiculous posts on this subject are.

Who was going to play SS when a lot of people wanted Alexei dumped at the deadline?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Who was going to play SS when a lot of people wanted Alexei dumped at the deadline?

Prior to the Leury trade, they'd probably have called up Semien. At that point the season was a lost cause anyway so there wasn't much obvious harm.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Leury or another guy who can play SS as well as the OF will be on the team. The back up SS isn't going to be Beckham or Keppinger. I know you don't think so, but why don't we make a real wager on it? Put your money where all your ridiculous posts on this subject are.

Please take note...I was replying to a post suggesting Keppinger and Beckham could cover the backup SS spot. I was not suggesting this, I was responding to continued suggestions from others that it could happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
Please take note...I was replying to a post suggesting Keppinger and Beckham could cover the backup SS spot. I was not suggesting this, I was responding to continued suggestions from others that it could happen.

If the biggest problem the White Sox have is who the back up to the back up is because Paul Konerko took up a roster spot, the Sox will be a lot better than anyone could imagine in 2014.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
If the biggest problem the White Sox have is who the back up to the back up is because Paul Konerko took up a roster spot, the Sox will be a lot better than anyone could imagine in 2014.

:notworthy That would be a nice problem to have

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)

Unless Alexei Ramirez pulls a muscle and misses a whole lot of time because he doesn't have any reasonable backup and is getting older.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
Unless Alexei Ramirez pulls a muscle and misses a whole lot of time because he doesn't have any reasonable backup and is getting older.

Apparently they have changed the rules and you can no longer call up someone from the minor leagues if your players get hurt.

Thanks for the clarification.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Apparently they have changed the rules and you can no longer call up someone from the minor leagues if your players get hurt.

Thanks for the clarification.

Apparently the idea of players breaking down if they don't get adequate rest seems to have eluded you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
Apparently the idea of players breaking down if they don't get adequate rest seems to have eluded you.

Prince Fielder has missed 1 game in 5 years. Next time Alexei goes on the DL because he played too much, let us know.

And when he does and the Sox pennant hopes are dashed, we can all go to USCF and protest Rick Hahn outside his office for bringing back Paulie because Alexei's back up didn't have a back up which caused Alexei to get hurt.

I sure hope Robin lets Alexei take it easy during spring training.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 07:04 AM)
It pretty much handcuffs what the Sox can do in the rule V draft as they wont be able to use that spot to carry an extra player that could contribute to the roster long term. If there is no one the Sox think could help long term, it makes sense. But this signing does nothing to move the organization forward.

Because the Sox roster now stands at 40 because of the acquisition of Bellisario the Sox are no longer eligible to make a pick in the rule 5 draft. They would have to clear another roster spot 1st.