Marcus Semien

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
Seems like good timing to give Semien an opportunity to play 150 games. See what he's got.

Let's see what the Sox do in the next week. Beckham or Alexei could be gone--although I'm not sure who wants them.

That is the key. If it is Chicago, great. If not, that isn't a bad thing either.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Seems like good timing to give Semien an opportunity to play 150 games. See what he's got.

Let's see what the Sox do in the next week. Beckham or Alexei could be gone--although I'm not sure who wants them.

I hope Gordo and Alexei are with the Sox in 2014 even though I could see one being traded.

He showed no signs of being ready at the plate. I really, really like him but his run in AAA was quite a big step down from what he was doing in AA already. I'd like to see him get his walk rate in AAA again before bringing him up to the MLB where he was a 1:30 BB:K ratio last year

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
He showed no signs of being ready at the plate. I really, really like him but his run in AAA was quite a big step down from what he was doing in AA already. I'd like to see him get his walk rate in AAA again before bringing him up to the MLB where he was a 1:30 BB:K ratio last year

He had a bit of a strange year, with the complete flip-flop in his OBP skills as he adjusted to higher levels. Wouldn't mind him in Charlotte to get a better idea of who he really is, and I think this is a bit more likely with PK14 on the 25.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 05:59 PM)
I'm not as high on him as most. I see his future as an above average 2B. Highly doubt he ever has the bat to stick at 3B. With that said, I really don't give a damn about Beckham anymore so if Semien were to start there I'd be fine with it. Not a big deal to me if he starts in AAA either though.

First, if you believe he can be an above average 2B, then you are just as high on him as most.

Secondly, the nature of the beast suggests that if you believe he can be an above average 2B, then he can stick at 3B too (not that you'd necessarily want to)

MLB splits last year:

2B: .263/.323/.387/.710

3B: .260/.324/.412/.735

If he is even a .260/.330/.400 guy, his bat can play at 3B.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:37 AM)

That would be a huge upgrade over the past few years.

But all things remaining equal, where does Gillaspie figure into all this? Is it still his position to lose at this point or is it Keppinger's? Pains me to think this is the only competition for 3b. What a gaping hole that is.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)

But all things remaining equal, where does Gillaspie figure into all this? Is it still his position to lose at this point or is it Keppinger's? Pains me to think this is the only competition for 3b. What a gaping hole that is.

I guess that depends on a lot of things. As of now, I think he's the incumbent starter, but he could easily be unseated by a lot of players, some of whom may not even be in the organization. That is a definite question mark.

Semien either starts at third or is in AAA in my opinion. That is, of course, unless we find a team to take Beckham. I don't know how it's going to work but I see, and kind of hope, it plays out like this. Infield of Semien, Ramirez, Beckham. Gillaspie and Keppinger are traded. Garcia is the lone backup. I like both Gillaspie and Semien, but do not see room for both on the roster with the re-signing of Konerko. It is in the best interest of the franchise to go with Semien over Gillaspie. To me, Semien has starter potential and I really think Gillaspie could thrive in a super-sub role on the right team, but at this point I just don't think that's the Sox.

Gillaspie should never play vs LHP ever. I know our manager will never do that though. I still don't think a platoon of Keppinger/Gillaspie is the worst thing in the world at 3B. They just have to be used properly and hope that Keppinger isn't one of the worst players in baseball again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
First, if you believe he can be an above average 2B, then you are just as high on him as most.

Secondly, the nature of the beast suggests that if you believe he can be an above average 2B, then he can stick at 3B too (not that you'd necessarily want to)

MLB splits last year:

2B: .263/.323/.387/.710

3B: .260/.324/.412/.735

The point I was more trying to make is that in an ideal world and on a good team you'd like a little more production out of 3B than what Semien is likely to bring. Of course there are always exceptions and I'm not saying he can't be serviceable at 3B. He just seems like a more prototypical 2B and he shouldn't be stuck at 3B just because he's the best option we currently have there. I'm looking past next year when I say I believe he should be a 2B.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
The point I was more trying to make is that in an ideal world and on a good team you'd like a little more production out of 3B than what Semien is likely to bring. Of course there are always exceptions and I'm not saying he can't be serviceable at 3B. He just seems like a more prototypical 2B and he shouldn't be stuck at 3B just because he's the best option we currently have there. I'm looking past next year when I say I believe he should be a 2B.

If you think of it in context...we have 3 guys coming up who could potentially take over the MI positions (4 if you count Leury). Semien, Johnson, Sanchez. They're all young, they all need more time, but we could legitimately see more than one of them being close to ready by the trade deadline.

If we've got youth around the entire infield and they're moderately productive (even giving a few of those guys a chance to struggle), that could free up substantial amounts of money to find a FA bat elsewhere on the field.

IMO, the smart move with the current roster is to start Semien at AAA and hope Beckham has a solid first half, trade him by the deadline and call up Semien to play 2b. Right now I just dont see much of a market for Keppinger/ Gillespie so third base is tied up for the moment.

An interesting scenario would be if both Semien and Sanchez perform well at AAA, who would get the call. I realize Semien will likely play 3b at AAA.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)

Royals still need a second baseman. How bout robbing some of their young pitching for Becks?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:25 AM)
Royals still need a second baseman. How bout robbing some of their young pitching for Becks?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
Gordon Beckham is 27 with 2,000+ AB's in the MLB and owns a .249/.314/.380 slash. He has 0 trade value. Only scenario I could see Beckham being traded is if its a swap of another teams failed prospect

Neither of these extremes are true. He does have trade value, but you aren't getting one of KC's elite pitching prospects either.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
Gordon Beckham is 27 with 2,000+ AB's in the MLB and owns a .249/.314/.380 slash. He has 0 trade value. Only scenario I could see Beckham being traded is if its a swap of another teams failed prospect

The Sox got Matt Thornton for Joe Borchard. What the Sox value in pitchers on the trade market is not dissimilar to what some orgs value in position players. Youth, athleticism, draft pedigree, promise. Just because he is 27 doesn't mean is a lost cause. I think Beckham needs a change of address, but that is my fear as well. Trade him to the Dodgers and he turns into Jeff Kent. That'd be our luck.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
The Sox got Matt Thornton for Joe Borchard. What the Sox value in pitchers on the trade market is not dissimilar to what some orgs value in position players. Youth, athleticism, draft pedigree, promise. Just because he is 27 doesn't mean is a lost cause. I think Beckham needs a change of address, but that is my fear as well. Trade him to the Dodgers and he turns into Jeff Kent. That'd be our luck.

Both of those guys were minimum salary players. Gordon Beckham is not.