FutureSox interviews RHP Chris Bassitt

NorthSideSox72

I like this kid. Surprised that he said he prefers relieving. It's also an interesting look in to see why you have some guys start in the minors even though your full intention is to use them as a reliever in the MLB level. This reminds me of Nate Jones starting, throwing 150 innings or whatever, when we knew he basically was a 2 pitch pitcher with big time velocity. You need to get a feel for what you are doing on the mound rather than just throwing what the catcher calls. I'm guessing there's also some strength building in doing that too where you may be able to increase your velocity a bit.

Really, really pulling for this guy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
I like this kid. Surprised that he said he prefers relieving. It's also an interesting look in to see why you have some guys start in the minors even though your full intention is to use them as a reliever in the MLB level. This reminds me of Nate Jones starting, throwing 150 innings or whatever, when we knew he basically was a 2 pitch pitcher with big time velocity. You need to get a feel for what you are doing on the mound rather than just throwing what the catcher calls. I'm guessing there's also some strength building in doing that too where you may be able to increase your velocity a bit.

Really, really pulling for this guy.

Yeah, we've known for a while about the Sox doing this - taking a guy who is very probably a reliever, and making him start for a year or two. Chris' indication is that this is done to move them from being throwers to pitchers.

What's different about Chris though, compared to say Jones, is that Chris has 4 pitches, or even 5 if you count both fastballs. Also, unlike Jones, he did pretty darn well starting. His arm held up well to doubling his innings too. This makes for a tough decision for the Sox, though I'd bet they have him start in 2014, and then not make him a reliever until either he struggles or he's in Chicago.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 07:02 AM)
Yeah, we've known for a while about the Sox doing this - taking a guy who is very probably a reliever, and making him start for a year or two. Chris' indication is that this is done to move them from being throwers to pitchers.

What's different about Chris though, compared to say Jones, is that Chris has 4 pitches, or even 5 if you count both fastballs. Also, unlike Jones, he did pretty darn well starting. His arm held up well to doubling his innings too. This makes for a tough decision for the Sox, though I'd bet they have him start in 2014, and then not make him a reliever until either he struggles or he's in Chicago.

Yeah, I'd remembered reading a year or so ago that he preferred relieving, but figured his success starting would have changed his tune. Hopefully, he's seeing what all the 4th-5th starters are signing for in the FA market this offseason. He could be potentially battling Rienzo for a 5th starter role on the Sox by July if we were to trade Danks or Hector at that time, for instance, and he starts AAA strongly.