The Value of John Danks

The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 07:53 PM)
What I'm saying is a team may not want or be willing to give Danks a long-term contract (i.e. a 7 year deal) because of his recent health problems, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a ton of value on a short-term deal (2 to 3 years) which is exactly what he's under contract for. Teams at the trade deadline are going to be much more likely to give up something of value for Danks if the risk is short-term.

Danks had one major injury that derailed what has been a very solid career. If he looks like he has gotten back to that form, he is a big money pitcher on this market. People need to look at what s***ty to average pitchers have gotten on the market and then go back and look at Danks big years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
You aren't reading my posts at all.

Oh but I am. Just don't get where you're coming from. Danks isn't a free agent, won't be til he's 31 and still needs to rebuild his value (that's no guarantee) so what's the point of the speculation in the first place? Not trying be a jerk, just don't get it is all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Trading Danks now would be a big risk.

Big risk if you include a lot of money, however, I don't see a high probability of him greatly out performing his contract. I see a decent possibility that he pitches near his contract for the next 3 years and given what happened, probably a decent chance he pitches under. So in theory, if you get rid of him, worse case, there is not that much overall risk (if you factor in the cash savings). I do think Danks will have a good year and will be more marketable in July, however, any sort of major set back and you might be completely stuck with the contract.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
Oh but I am. Just don't get where you're coming from. Danks isn't a free agent, won't be til he's 31 and still needs to rebuild his value (that's no guarantee) so what's the point of the speculation in the first place? Not trying be a jerk, just don't get it is all.

The idea of value is their contract and control versus what their max value is. If a guy is a $20 million per year player and someone who would get a long term deal on the open market, and they have a much smaller contract than that in reality, then they have surplus value. That is the entire theme of this thread.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
The kind of production that 15 million bucks will get you in three years may make Danks look like an amazing contract

Exactly, I think people need to accept that players prices will continue to rise significantly over the next few years due to all the extra TV money being dished out. Fair market value today is not what it was last year and Danks contract will look better each and every year as market rates continue to rise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)
The idea of value is their contract and control versus what their max value is. If a guy is a $20 million per year player and someone who would get a long term deal on the open market, and they have a much smaller contract than that in reality, then they have surplus value. That is the entire theme of this thread.

Gotcha. My bad for missing that, i see what you're saying now. :D