Sox sign Felipe Paulino

fathom

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 17m

White Sox 40-man is now at 38, and that does not factor in Ronald Belisario

Trade coming soon.....Belisario still has to come from Venezuela to take his physical incase anybody was wondering

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
Trade coming soon.....Belisario still has to come from Venezuela to take his physical incase anybody was wondering

Gotta agree on the trade coming soon seeing as how the Sox are looking to trade a lefty, it sounds like a ST competition between Paulino, Johnson and Rienzo for the final to spots in the rotation.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
I never said or implied we would be going after a top 3 starter in FA. We checked in on Josh Johnson and obviously he has a much a better track record than a guy like Paulino.

True, I am not familiar with some of the other "bargain" FA starters, but JJ signed for 8 million. We don't have a pressing need for starters, some might even say we have good depth there, so I am comfortable spending 1.75 on a bounce back guy.

Seems to me that the plan is to trade one of Quintana/Santiago (or Danks, but unlikely) and go into the season with a rotation of Sale, 2 out of the 3 of Quintana/Santiago/Danks, Johnson and Paulino. Still not a bad looking rotation depending on how Johnson progresses and Paulino recovers. Rienzo will either be kept in the minors for depth or looked to be traded.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Just a guess but coming off TJ surgery and being 30, my guess is the Sox convert him to a reliever. Just a hunch.

Good to see more activity. I like this signing and Paulino's enthusiasm over it.

Don't we already have a surplus of righty relievers as is?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
Don't we already have a surplus of righty relievers as is?

Yes we do. After reading more on this trade that hunch was wrong as it looks like Paulino will be competition for Johnson and Rienzo. I suppose he loses the competition he could be considered for the pen. Plus who knows, we may trade a guy like Reed.

The hunch is based on Paulino still needs to build his endurance back up after surgery so realistically how many IP can we expect as a starter?

Edited by StRoostifer

They need to be back in the business of acquiring guys like Paulino (or JJ Putz in the more recent past).

Too much logic to this one.

I really like Santiago still, but if they're going to shore up a position in the line-up, and they feel no matter what Cooper does that Hector's going to continue to struggle with stamina and control/consistency, then fine, make your move.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
He only pitched 14 innings for the Rockies in 2011.

He had an ERA of 4.11 with around 120 innings pitched for the Royals that same season.

He didn't pitch more innings with Rockies because they released him.