Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin now

Eaton: "It would be great if I could hang my hat around .300, 100 runs scored and an OBP around .400. I think it’s definitely doable."

Ugh, now he's throwing out projections. Kid, just go play

.400 OBP is not a realistic goal for him. In the minors there is enough bad pitching that you can get a big OBP just by being patient and not swinging at bad pitches, but in the majors you have to have some serious power to get walked enough to have a .400 OBP.

I looked it up, and in the last ten years, the three lowest SLG totals for a hitter who had a .400+ OBP season are Nick Johnson .405, and Joe Mauer .446 and .451. I don't see Eaton ever slugging .446 or better in the majors, so there is one case in the last ten years of somebody hitting .400 OBP with a SLG that Eaton can reasonably attain.

Not faulting the kid for having goals, but it ain't happenin'.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
.400 OBP is not a realistic goal for him. In the minors there is enough bad pitching that you can get a big OBP just by being patient and not swinging at bad pitches, but in the majors you have to have some serious power to get walked enough to have a .400 OBP.

I looked it up, and in the last ten years, the three lowest SLG totals for a hitter who had a .400+ OBP season are Nick Johnson .405, and Joe Mauer .446 and .451. I don't see Eaton ever slugging .446 or better in the majors, so there is one case in the last ten years of somebody hitting .400 OBP with a SLG that Eaton can reasonably attain.

You are a such a buzzkill.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
Is 15 homers fringe power anymore?

It would rank him in the top-100 across the MLB, and tied with guys like Billy Butler and Buster Posey. People are really struggling to grasp the fact that the steroid era, for the most part, is long in the rear-view mirror.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)

Just to have a little fun and throw some numbers out there. If Eaton hits .300 and let's say he gets 550 ABs, he would need to have around 10 homers, 7 triples and 35 doubles to give him a .446 slugging. Those are all numbers that I don't think are too unrealistic if he is as fast and plays as hard as everyone states.

I wish he would have said I hope to hit .260, get on base at about at .310 clip and steal 50% of the bases I attempt. The guy is a professional baseball player of course he is cocky and confident that is how he got to a point where a major league team is handing him a job.

Christ, if the White Sox traded Santiago for Mike Trout the main concern would be at what weight Trout checks into camp at or the fact he will leave in three years because Reinsdorf is cheap.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
It would rank him in the top-100 across the MLB, and tied with guys like Billy Butler and Buster Posey. People are really struggling to grasp the fact that the steroid era, for the most part, is long in the rear-view mirror.

Yup. It always sounds like a low number you just have to think about it and realize that's a good amount of homeruns now a days.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
I thought you were just saying that 90% of good players are good looking, not that 90% of good looking players are good.

I am entirely confused now, thanks

Pods wants on your list too.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
His goal may be a .400 OBP, but the reality is 7 players did that in 2013.

Ya it's probably not going to happen but it's great that he has that as a goal for himself.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
I thought you were just saying that 90% of good players are good looking, not that 90% of good looking players are good.

I am entirely confused now, thanks

that is what i was saying, however then i realized if I made that claim, I couldn't justify my original post because Eaton isn't technically "good" yet at the major league level :P

Hector was motivated as f*** too. Hector seriously overachieved & I'm sure has no plans of stopping. He's also a smart, aggressive player and an athlete in the field despite being a pitcher. Humble + good attitude + confidence? Excellent makeup.

OTOH I hope Eaton can catch the ball in the OF as well as Hector can in the bullpen. I also hope Eaton knows where to draw the lines between being a quality player and being a grinder. Grinders play hurt & the kill team, they slide head-first into 1B, etc. I don't want anymore grinders. Catch the ball, make your throws, position yourself where you're told, hit the baseball, get on base, know when to run & don't get picked off.