Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
Hey Rock, you Hearing any other whispers out there other than this, or abouth this?

Vet MI, and an OF bat was always the course. Dealing SP to acquire was definitely something that was going to happen. I dont see them modifying the pen much if at all.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
Vet MI, and an OF bat was always the course. Dealing SP to acquire was definitely something that was going to happen. I dont see them modifying the pen much if at all.

Wish Kendrick was involved.

We'd have a much, much better looking team if he or a similar player was here.

Then you'd just need a serviceable catcher

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
I know you guys hate it and it's going to do nothing to change your mind, but his FIPs and xFIPs have been in the 4.4-4.7 range. He walks too many guys, doesn't throw enough ground balls, doesn't work deep into games, and was either really lucky/good/both about stranding runners.

I'll be the first to admit I don't follow FIP and xFIP.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:33 PM)
The increase in production (if there is any) is going to be offset by the damage to the rotation when you have to force Johnson and Rienzo into it, and still not knowing if Danks is ever going to improve.

And it's not like we didn't draft/trade for about five minor league outfielders in the last 3-4 years.

It all comes back to the fact that if De Aza didn't play so goofy last year, he could have stayed in CF and the Sox would still have Santiago on the roster.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Nice tidbit!

I think people are drastically understating Eaton. He was also ranked ahead of them both heading into last year in the dbacks top 10 prospects. A year ago today, we would have been laughed at and hung up on if we offered Hector for Eaton

There is a report now that the player the Dbacks would get from the Angels would have to pass through the Rule-5 draft on Thursday, which means this deal may not even get finalized for another 2 days. That blows. I hope that doesn't stop Hahn from making other moves now because he has to make sure this one goes through.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
He's stolen 38 and 44 bases in the minors before, had good walk numbers, and made contact.

Hopefully the top of the lineup can be Eaton-Avi-JDA

I hope Avi ends up being a middle of the lineup bat. I've been saying this for awhile, and my logic may be off but, I wanna see Lexi hit 2nd behind a guy who can consistently get on base(Eaton looks like he can be that guy). Last 3 years Lexi has hit .304/.346/.439 with runners on, in 749 ABs.

I'm thinking Eaton-Lexi-JDA-Dunn-Avi 1-5.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
I think people are drastically understating Eaton. He was also ranked ahead of them both heading into last year in the dbacks top 10 prospects. A year ago today, we would have been laughed at and hung up on if we offered Hector for Eaton

It's funny because before last season I picked my AL and NL ROYs as Wil Myers and Adam Eaton. At least I got one of those right.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
I'll be the first to admit I don't follow FIP and xFIP.

And that's fine, I have no problem with that. They aren't the holy grail either. I think Santiago can certainly improve as a starter and his game will play much better in LA than it did and does here, but to me I think he will ultimately be more of a #3/4 rather than a #2/3. We will see though. I really like Eaton though and think he is going to be a nice addition.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
Well the Sox do -- that's why they let MB walk, and that's probably one of the main reasons they're trading Santiago.

How many years did the Sox employ Mark Buehrle, and have him start opening day, and pitch him in the playoffs and WS? xFIP had nothing to do with him leaving.