Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
No, because Samardzija is a better pitcher

He is? Santiago owned a better ERA, ERA+, H/9, and WAR last season and is 3 years younger. Seems to me, if Santiago cuts down on his walks, he will be a much better pitcher than Samardzija.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
He is? Santiago owned a better ERA, ERA+, H/9, and WAR last season and is 3 years younger. Seems to me, if Santiago cuts down on his walks, he will be a much better pitcher than Samardzija.

He also owned a worse K/9, BB/9, WHIP, FIP, xFIP, IP/GS, plus several other key indicators of future success. Also, you must be looking at numbers from b-r or espn, because Santiago did not own a better fWAR.

Jeff Samardzija is a better pitcher than Hector Santiago. I would expect Samardzija to bring back more than Santiago but less than Quintana.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 01:34 AM)
Angels improved their team the most, the Sox improved their team the adequately, and the Diamondbacks didn't improve the team at all.

;)

Disagree. We dealt from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness. We did great.

I love the fact that in the scouting report on Eaton states that he fouls off tough pitches to work a count. I know that sounds like it should be in green but it is something I liked about AJ that few players on the Whtie Sox could do.

At he end of the day there are some ceiling guys in this organization now and some promise.

I liked Santiago but this is guy the Sox have needed since Podsednik left.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
True, but there are less players on the market.

That's OK. I mean, I'm with you, and I don't really buy the "not punting" thing that they're spewing, but I'm going to be a lot less optimistic about a potential move come January 2nd than I will December 11th. December is a month that moves.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
That's OK. I mean, I'm with you, and I don't really buy the "not punting" thing that they're spewing, but I'm going to be a lot less optimistic about a potential move come January 2nd than I will December 11th. December is a month that moves.

At first I did not like the deal. I did not know anything about Eaton but when I saw KW's interview on MLB network, KW sounds so giddy about the move that was about to happen. The last time KW was this happy was when we acquired Pods and changed the whole team dynamics. I am not saying we will win the WS but Im buying on what we are doing.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
At first I did not like the deal. I did not know anything about Eaton but when I saw KW's interview on MLB network, KW sounds so giddy about the move that was about to happen. The last time KW was this happy was when we acquired Pods and changed the whole team dynamics. I am not saying we will win the WS but Im buying on what we are doing.

KW was pretty giddy about the return for Nick Swisher and Javy Vazquez. I think the Sox wouldn't make trades that weren't strickly salary dumps unless he was giddy about them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
KW was pretty giddy about the return for Nick Swisher and Javy Vazquez. I think the Sox wouldn't make trades that weren't strickly salary dumps unless he was giddy about them.

After I heard him rave about Jeff Marquez's sinkerball I was done putting any value into how he evaluates prospects.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 6m

Adam Eaton on getting away from energetic style in '13: I was too focused on struggling and trying to get back into the groove of things.

Adam Eaton said he thinks he'll a little bit of a "Kenny Lofton/Lenny Dysktra mix." #WhiteSox

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 8m

Eaton: "Get on base at all costs. I don't care if I get hit in the head or hit on the ankle."

Adam Eaton: "I'm a scrappy, dirtbag guy."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 6m

Adam Eaton on getting away from energetic style in '13: I was too focused on struggling and trying to get back into the groove of things.

Adam Eaton said he thinks he'll a little bit of a "Kenny Lofton/Lenny Dysktra mix." #WhiteSox

Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien 8m

Eaton: "Get on base at all costs. I don't care if I get hit in the head or hit on the ankle."

Adam Eaton: "I'm a scrappy, dirtbag guy."

If he is a Lofton/Dykstra mix, it's an unreal trade. I would rather he not reach base getting hit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
If he is a Lofton/Dykstra mix, it's an unreal trade. I would rather he not reach base getting hit.

Players comparisons are so unfair, especially in baseball. It's such a mental game, the only person he should be competing with is himself.

I just like the fact that we are targeting guys that have some tools and ability to be cost controlled, successful big league players. The question is will they. Hopefully our advanced scouting is better at identifying hitters that are young and been semi developed through organizations as we are at actually developing position players. Its been a long time since we had this many young players to get excited about. The reality is some will bust and we all have to be patient. Garcia, Eaton, Abreu, and even Viciedo deserve patience (although who knows if Dayan is dealt). Probably better upside in holding Dayan then De Aza as if Dayan has a good year or two we have him more cost controlled and De Aza is what he is (which is a pretty damn solid MLBer but one that will get more expensive sooner and has his own flaws). Alejandro would be a pretty darn nice #2 hitter though behind Eaton if you ask me and I have zero problem going with 4 outfielders and playing matchups to an extent. There is enough at bats to go around.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 6m

From conference call, @AdamSpankyEaton on getting on base in front of CWS big hitters: "I’m one pitch away from scoring."

More from Eaton on his role: "You give me a glove and anything you want me to do I’ll do."

Eaton: "It would be great if I could hang my hat around .300, 100 runs scored and an OBP around .400. I think it’s definitely doable."